Riding in heat

redbacks

Dec 3, 2006
G'day, with the temperature being in the late thirties, and even early forties, has anyone been racing, let alone keeping their training up to the same level? This goes for mostly Victorian riders, but anyone who is having heat problems can post.

redbacks said:
G'day, with the temperature being in the late thirties, and even early forties, has anyone been racing, let alone keeping their training up to the same level? This goes for mostly Victorian riders, but anyone who is having heat problems can post.
Mate between the heat and smoke my training for the alpine classic has been very minimal. looking forward to the wind so i can breath without feeling like im in a nightclub.

I havn't got the smoke from the fires around my place at the moment, but it should be on it's way. Yeah it would be tough. Any asthmatics would be feeling it. I was racing track tuesday night in Castlemaine, it was still 40 at 6pm. My throat was real dry and was dry reaching just into the first race.

Yeah you definately don't need that crappy atmosphere around ya. How big is the race your training for?

redbacks said:
Yeah you definately don't need that crappy atmosphere around ya. How big is the race your training for?
not a race audax ride from bright over towonga gap to mt bueaty up falls creek beack to bright via towonga gap then up and down buffalo all up 200km.

The heat is fun, but what's worrying me is the UV level. Having spent all my life in the sun, being scorched while riding just makes me a skin cancer wannabe :( Sunscreen isn't much of an option as I sweat like crazy. During my working life, I always wore long sleeves and a broad brimmed hat. Any thoughts on what to look for in long sleeved riding jersies? Particularly considering the heat.

Richard

slowdave said:
not a race audax ride from bright over towonga gap to mt bueaty up falls creek beack to bright via towonga gap then up and down buffalo all up 200km.
It won't be any consolation guys but it's about 3 deg C and v.windy in N.Scotland....yeucchhhh!!!! Just cycled 10 miles home in fine, cold drizzle!

Europa said:
The heat is fun, but what's worrying me is the UV level. Having spent all my life in the sun, being scorched while riding just makes me a skin cancer wannabe :( Sunscreen isn't much of an option as I sweat like crazy. During my working life, I always wore long sleeves and a broad brimmed hat. Any thoughts on what to look for in long sleeved riding jersies? Particularly considering the heat.

Richard
The issue of covering up for sun protection has been exercising my mind for some time. My ideal riding jersey for hot weather would be a white long sleeved jersey made of fine merino wool. Unfortunately merino wool clothing costs an arm and a leg and I haven't yet found anything that fits my requirements.

However, if you know someone who is handy with a sewing machine, you can make up some arm covers using white cotton/spandex (available from your friendly fabric store) - this is the solution hubby and I use and it works fine, 'coz white reflects the heat so you don't warm up too much but if it suddenly cools down, your arms stay warm.

matagi said:
The issue of covering up for sun protection has been exercising my mind for some time. My ideal riding jersey for hot weather would be a white long sleeved jersey made of fine merino wool. Unfortunately merino wool clothing costs an arm and a leg and I haven't yet found anything that fits my requirements.

However, if you know someone who is handy with a sewing machine, you can make up some arm covers using white cotton/spandex (available from your friendly fabric store) - this is the solution hubby and I use and it works fine, 'coz white reflects the heat so you don't warm up too much but if it suddenly cools down, your arms stay warm.
M dont exercise that mind of yours too much it just might explode on you
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

matagi said:

Netti 'sunshield' long sleeve summer jersey (womens) and mens

I find these good and light to wear

Mike

Whilst cycling home tonight (4 deg C and 35 mph W side wind i.e. typical N.Scotland weather!) but nice 'n cosy in my Assos balaclava, I thought about trying to get a lightweight balaclava in white to wear in the Outback - will keep the sun off my face and neck and reflect some of the heat, also keep the flies off. Also warm for those cold nights in the desert.

daviddd said:
Whilst cycling home tonight (4 deg C and 35 mph W side wind i.e. typical N.Scotland weather!) but nice 'n cosy in my Assos balaclava, I thought about trying to get a lightweight balaclava in white to wear in the Outback - will keep the sun off my face and neck and reflect some of the heat, also keep the flies off. Also warm for those cold nights in the desert.
http://www.buff.com.au/