Riding on HWY in Melbourne?

Bloody oath it is. Just not the freeway obviously. Truckies love it when you set-up camp in front of them at a red light too. If you can trackstand even better. Dont forget to blow them a kiss before to take off.

existence learned this from his mum, who frequently told him as a child to go and play on the highway

What is the difference between a road and a highway?

Do highways have bike lanes or path or designated space for cyclists? If so which highways?

pivoxa15 said:
What is the difference between a road and a highway?

Do highways have bike lanes or path or designated space for cyclists? If so which highways?
A HIGHWAY usually has a sealed and reasonably wide (but not always reasonably clean!) shoulder for emergency / cyclists and is rated at 100km/h. The Hume Freeway (Melbourne to Albury-Wodonga, 110km/h), has a wide shoulder for cyclists and smooth and fast (especially Glenrowan-Avenel section), but very boring. It is open for cyclists all the way to Albury with interesting towns just off the freeway worth visiting (I have never seen cyclists in the Western Ring Road however. I have only ridden the Hume from Kalkallo). There are alarming 'judder bars' on the shoulder around Glenrowan, presumably to stop idiots driving in it. Long range touring cyclists can often be seen on the Hume riding the inland route to or from Sydney.

The Princes Highway (100km/h limit) from Geelong to Melbourne (not allowed on West Gate Freeway / bridge) also allows cyclists and a bike "lane" is reserved for that, but the closer proximity of high speed traffic makes weekday and weekend riding sometimes nerve wracking, especially with B-Doubles passing and the occasional hoons throwing stuff out of their window. :mad:

My preference, in terms of safety, is to avoid the highway/freeway as far as possible and take the sedate and often more interesting route through towns largely bypassed by the freeway.

Garyh_GONP07 said:
A HIGHWAY usually has a sealed and reasonably wide (but not always reasonably clean!) shoulder for emergency / cyclists and is rated at 100km/h. The Hume Freeway (Melbourne to Albury-Wodonga, 110km/h), has a wide shoulder for cyclists and smooth and fast (especially Glenrowan-Avenel section), but very boring. It is open for cyclists all the way to Albury with interesting towns just off the freeway worth visiting (I have never seen cyclists in the Western Ring Road however. I have only ridden the Hume from Kalkallo). There are alarming 'judder bars' on the shoulder around Glenrowan, presumably to stop idiots driving in it. Long range touring cyclists can often be seen on the Hume riding the inland route to or from Sydney.

The Princes Highway (100km/h limit) from Geelong to Melbourne (not allowed on West Gate Freeway / bridge) also allows cyclists and a bike "lane" is reserved for that, but the closer proximity of high speed traffic makes weekday and weekend riding sometimes nerve wracking, especially with B-Doubles passing and the occasional hoons throwing stuff out of their window. :mad:

My preference, in terms of safety, is to avoid the highway/freeway as far as possible and take the sedate and often more interesting route through towns largely bypassed by the freeway.
I thought people are not allowed to ride on freeways?! So does some freeways allow for cyclists. Is it specified on a sign?

pivoxa15 said:
I thought people are not allowed to ride on freeways?! So does some freeways allow for cyclists. Is it specified on a sign?
Where cyclists are specifically permitted to use the sealed shoulder on freeways, that will be advised by a sign at the commencement of the freeway and periodically along its length eg. advisory signs about crossing the point in a merging carriageway, of which there are dozens on the Hume Freeway alone.

Garyh_GONP07 said:
Where cyclists are specifically permitted to use the sealed shoulder on freeways, that will be advised by a sign at the commencement of the freeway and periodically along its length eg. advisory signs about crossing the point in a merging carriageway, of which there are dozens on the Hume Freeway alone.
Wow, wouldn't riding on a freeway be the ultimate wish for every road cyclist as there are no red lights and a smooth road. The puff of smoke from cars would be the only negative but it would be a pleasure on Sunday mornings.

pivoxa15 said:
How is Burwood or Nepean HWY for riding?
Nepean Highway is a busy beast and can get quite heavy in peak periods. It's wide and fast and undulating in some parts; getting on to it from St Kilda Junction is tricky because of wide intersections and cars moving literally in all directions (and not always according to what the lights indicate!). Shared parking/cycling lane is thumbed because of narrow lee-way with cars when parked there.

Haven't ridden the Burwood Highway.

pivoxa15 said:
How is Burwood or Nepean HWY for riding?
Nepean HWY is good. Rock up at 6am (nth rd/nepean hwy) on either tuesday or thursday. Its a very light ride. You will enjoy it.:D

Riding on country freeways is permitted, riding on urban freeways is not. The Western Ring Road is an urban freeway, so no bikes. There is a map around somewhere showing where the urban/country boudary is as regards to bikes on freeways.

You can ride on most motorways in Sydney and it is clearly signposted and marked.

I'm pleasently supprised to hear that some of Melbournes also permit bikes, perhaps they should open more up.

This from the vicroads site
vicroads said:
Cycling on freeways

Cycling is only permitted on the shoulders of some parts of rural freeways (not urban sections) and is not permitted on urban freeways.

Rural freeways include the Western Freeway, the Calder Freeway, the Hume Freeway and parts of the Princes Freeway to Traralgon.

Urban freeways include the Western Ring Road, the Northern Ring Road, the Eastern Freeway, the Tullamarine Freeway, the Monash Freeway, the West Gate Freeway, the Mornington Peninsula Freeway, the Princes Freeway to Werribee and City Link. Cyclists are also not permitted to ride on the urban sections of the Princes Freeway and the Calder Freeway.
A map is here.

rdk said:
This from the vicroads site
A map is here.

The VicRoads map is anomalous. :(

Beats me why so many cylists can be found (illegally or no) on the Princes Freeway, at least as far as Werribee where most of us turn around (for those Melbourne bound, they cross over and continue the ride to Melbourne via the longer and rather dull route to Altona and Williamstown, the freeway ahead not just being off-limits to cyclists, but downright dangerous to boot). The alternative route through Lara to Werribee via a hotch-potch of good backroads and Sayers Road is longer, isolated, exposed but gives a feeling of being in the 'middle of nowhere' (which it is!) and is favoured by some touring cyclists; a wrong turn out there can add 30km to the day. :eek: