Road bike buying advice for a newbie

parkton_dave

Oct 16, 2007
I am looking t obuy my first road bike and have found several bikes that fit by budget ($800 - $1200). All have at least 105 level FD/RD, brake and shifter components. The lower end models seem to have Truvativ and FSa cranks, while the upper end have 105.

Is there a major difference in a FSA Gossamer Megexo and or a Truvateiv Elita 3.3 Triple versus a Shimano 105 crank?

Your input is greatly appreciated.

parkton_dave said:
I am looking t obuy my first road bike and have found several bikes that fit by budget ($800 - $1200). All have at least 105 level FD/RD, brake and shifter components. The lower end models seem to have Truvativ and FSa cranks, while the upper end have 105.

Is there a major difference in a FSA Gossamer Megexo and or a Truvateiv Elita 3.3 Triple versus a Shimano 105 crank?
I have FSA Gossamer cranks, and they are "fine" & seem to be under appreciated by most riders ... basically (and, this may mean ZERO to almost everyone), I think of them as being a modified Dura Ace spider on modified Campagnolo arms.

I don't have any TruVativ cranks, and I am sure they are fine, but between the FSA & TruVativ cranks, I would choose the FSA because (and, this may seem like a meaningless reason) the FSA & Shimano cranks can use the same EXTERNAL BB CUPS whereas the TruVativ cranks (except one/some of the 2008 TruVativ models which you probably won't find on any entry level bikes ... presumably, it/they can use Campagnolo UT cups unless I'm thinking of a different brand of cranksets!?!) use a proprietary 25mm driveside cup & 24mm non-driveside cup OR (if older) an ISIS BB.