Road bike for MTB training?

phazer

Jun 29, 2005
is it really worth getting a road bike to get some endurance training in for MTB, seems lots of guys ride road bikes for fitness during the week and then a mountain bike on weekends for technical skills.

phazer said:
is it really worth getting a road bike to get some endurance training in for MTB, seems lots of guys ride road bikes for fitness during the week and then a mountain bike on weekends for technical skills.
Yes, most serious MTB racers put in road training miles. You can typically have a more intense road ride for any given duration, than you can on technical singletrack for instance. Sustained intensity per time frame is what will build your endurance. MTB rides, in general, often provide many small stops and starts in your intensity level.

Do you need an actual road bike for the road training? No. But I would at least recommend buying a dedicated set of wheels with road slicks, unless you enjoy changing tires often.

If the road rides turn into something you really enjoy and desire more of, then contemplate a road bike purchase.

I use a hardtail for my road training (use a dualie on the trails). It is an older hardtail that I don't mind running in the Winter. I am planning to buy a cyclocross bike to run mostly on the road. I have found that as I have gotten more seriously into training, I only spend about 30% of my time off-road.

I'd also recommend getting some MTB slicks ..... and also possibly a narrower/lighter rim - wheel set up for road riding(Mavic 217 ... 517).

Also... also , I'd get at least a 48 or 50 big ring for your MTB... so when your riding road , you can really push a good/decent COOKIE ;-)

I like training on the road because it teaches your muscles how to push a larger gear (I have a double chainring on my road bike). If you are in the market for a road bike, you should consider purchasing one. Last year I did lots of road bike miles and I had no problems pushing the large chainring. This year I had mostly mountain bike miles. I recently jumped on my road bike and it was hellish to push the big ring. There are definitely some benefits.

Training on the road (with a mt. or road bike) allows you to train at your aerobic threshold. When training off road people tend to spend their time jumping between anarobic and aerobic because the terrain can be so variable.

Adam-from-SLO said:
I'd also recommend getting some MTB slicks ..... and also possibly a narrower/lighter rim - wheel set up for road riding(Mavic 217 ... 517).

Also... also , I'd get at least a 48 or 50 big ring for your MTB... so when your riding road , you can really push a good/decent COOKIE ;-)

The only thing about purchasing a narrower rim is that you might have to adjust your breaks everytime you switch wheelsets. I didn't consider this when I bought my second wheelset for my mountain bike....I wish I would have bought the same size wheelset. If you don't switch them very often, then no big deal. But I switch mine everyweek, so it kind of sucks...

madisongrrl said:
The only thing about purchasing a narrower rim is that you might have to adjust your breaks everytime you switch wheelsets. I didn't consider this when I bought my second wheelset for my mountain bike....I wish I would have bought the same size wheelset. If you don't switch them very often, then no big deal. But I switch mine everyweek, so it kind of sucks...

Even more of a pain if you use disc brakes!

Sorry for digging up an old thread, but I have problems lately in finding a set of tubeless semi-slicks for doing road-riding on my MTB. I currently have the 1.75" Hutchinson Scorpion, which are narrow and light enough, but in the next few months I will be mainly riding on the road and clocking up a few kays everyday so I want something that has a bit more contact with the road.

They have to be tubeless cos I can't afford another set of rims at the moment...

Thanks

Cheers
Billy