Road bike Training for an eleven year old boy

Night25

Jun 9, 2012
Does anyone have any advice and tips on a training programme for teenagers serious about road biking. Are there any good online guides/ training books? We are keen to get it right. What sort of cadence and power outputs should we be aiming for? How often should we be training? The last race we entered was a 10km road race and we were off the pace. We want to win next time!

An 11 year old's body is still growing. You may cause issues if you push too hard. I wouldn't train like you would an adult. And, you don't want the kid getting burnt out and not wanting to ride when they are 18-20.

If memory serves, Joe Friel touched on this a bit with his book the Cyclist's Training Bible. Kids should just focus on having fun and long endurance. Keep the hard intervals for later after their body has grown a bit more.

At this point in the little fella's life, training should revolve around having fun on the bike. Most of his enjoyment is probably coming from an activity he's sharing w/dad. No point in cultivating the next LA if he decides to fall of the wagon and embrace the pillow case of ganja his first roomie in college is gonna pull out. My 2 cents, if he's still having fun and enjoying the bike at 13, get him a personal coach or get him enrolled in a junior cycling club. Just go on longer rides with him now, and no reason he shouldn't be riding every single day if he wants. Does anyone here remember taking off days from playing?

Take a look at little Liam, man I wish I could still climb like that...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsxPjHchafY

I have been thinking about this too as my children get older. They are quite a bit younger than your son, but I want them to enjoy cycling the way I do, without making the mistakes I did when I was younger.

Right now, my focus has been to give them nice bikes to ride and ample opportunity for fun rides. When I ride with them I do try to teach technique and how to make use of their gearing. They do a race each summer, but that is their decision.

My hope is that they want to keep riding. Years later, when they get strong enough, I would like to take them on a "B" or "C" group rides. I figure that more people they ride with the better they will become.

I have often wondered why there are not organized youth cycling teams at a school level. The equipment costs need not be that great; is it the risk of injury, or perhaps the lack of interest in the sport?

Originally Posted by Night25 .

Does anyone have any advice and tips on a training programme for teenagers serious about road biking.
Are there any good online guides/ training books? We are keen to get it right. What sort of cadence and power outputs should we be aiming for? How often should we be training? The last race we entered was a 10km road race and we were off the pace. We want to win next time!
I like the use of "we" rather than he.

If your teenager wants to do better in races, you might suggest that he ride more. They can be solo rides, rides with you, or rides with the local racers. Hard work will get him better.

---

A good insurance policy might be useful. The harder he goes, the more it costs to fix him.