road rash!

Trigurl

Jul 29, 2003
I crashed this weekend, and got some road rash on my knee and hip. I've gotten conflicting advice on how to treat it - should I let it dry out and scab off, or should I keep it bandaged with ointment?

I've heard vit E oil is good, as is Brave Soldier ointment. I'm allergic or something to Neosporin, I get itchy red bumps after I use that stuff.

I want this to heal FAST and I don't care about scars.

Thanks!

Originally posted by Trigurl
I crashed this weekend, and got some road rash on my knee and hip. I've gotten conflicting advice on how to treat it - should I let it dry out and scab off, or should I keep it bandaged with ointment?

I've heard vit E oil is good, as is Brave Soldier ointment. I'm allergic or something to Neosporin, I get itchy red bumps after I use that stuff.

I want this to heal FAST and I don't care about scars.

Thanks!

I prefer a bandage called Second Skin - you actually brush it on --- Warning it does sting --- but it helps keep it from getting infected. (Assuming you have cleaned it properly) After that because I don't like scars I use Neosporin or you can use any equivalent --- Aloe Vera with vitamin E might be a good one also --- with one of those bandage wraps & guaze pads during most of the day & night & I let it air out for an hour or two during the day / during the ride if needed. Gone in slightly over a weeks time or the bulk of it is.

The problem with knees & elbows is if they are all dried out, when you move them it can reopen the wounds - for most cases the steps above help prevent that.

As one that is in the emergency medical field in my opinion is proper cleaning every day, replacing bandages every day, and airing it out an hour or 2. What SLS stated is true also and can go with that suggestion. Keep in mind that the key to recorvery is keeping the injured area clean and keeping from infection. If you have hair on your legs becareful not to let the hair folicals in to the injury sight, leg hair carries alot of bacteria. Ointment is good in a speedy recovery and finally consider staying off the bike until the injury heals if its bad enough, if its minor monitor how the injury goes as you ride as to not making it worst or opening the scab. They hurt.:D