Road Rash - abscess?

Felt_Rider

Oct 24, 2004
I am on my sixth day of recovery from road rash.

I started treating the injury as soon as I returned home and followed the directions for road rash treatment by the book.

The surficial wound has healed a lot just in the past 6 days and the black colored bruise is starting to dissipate, but there is a pocket of fluid deeper under the tissue. Looking down you can see a protrusion and when pressed it is you tell there is fluid collected in this area.

If it were abscessed / infected I would have thought there would be more pain and redness and perhaps even feel slightly feverish, but I feel fine. There is still pain in the area, but the hip is still bruised so I cannot distinguish if the pain is related to bruise or the pocket of fluid.

Have any of you that have had road rash experience this fluid or know someone who has?

Did it need to be drained by a doctor or did you give it some time and the fluid dissapated naturally.

[font=&quot]I would go to the doctor. You probably did not irrigate properly and still have some road debris in the wound. The infection will get worse so go to the doctor now.

[/font]
Felt_Rider said:
I am on my sixth day of recovery from road rash.

I started treating the injury as soon as I returned home and followed the directions for road rash treatment by the book.

The surficial wound has healed a lot just in the past 6 days and the black colored bruise is starting to dissipate, but there is a pocket of fluid deeper under the tissue. Looking down you can see a protrusion and when pressed it is you tell there is fluid collected in this area.

If it were abscessed / infected I would have thought there would be more pain and redness and perhaps even feel slightly feverish, but I feel fine. There is still pain in the area, but the hip is still bruised so I cannot distinguish if the pain is related to bruise or the pocket of fluid.

Have any of you that have had road rash experience this fluid or know someone who has?

Did it need to be drained by a doctor or did you give it some time and the fluid dissapated naturally.

Update
I drew out 12cc of fluid last Wednesday at home and then had my second doctor visit today and she drew out 27cc of bloody fluid. I had some internal injuries that were much worse than the external injuries. I have another appointment this Friday. If it continues to bleed internally I will have to see an ortho surgeon.

I have fortunately been able to continue to train lightly.

I have talked to several biking buddies and none of them have ever experienced this type of injury nor have they ever had other friends experience to this magnatude. I have heard of several having hematomas, but in all cases they healed up rather quickly and the collected fluid was reabsorbed into the body and then excreted.

Jeez, I guess it wasn't unfortunate that you went to the doctor huh? Good luck healing up F-R! ;)

Thanks rule62

That's why I wanted to post my results and my experience. Just in case someone else has a similiar experience and is aprehensive on seeing a doctor. It's better to see a doctor and let them help guide you on recovery and to prevent further infection. I tried treating the areas myself according to procedures, but it just wasn't good enough. The impact did a lot of damage deeper below the surficial skin wound.

I took my blood samples to the lab today and the fluid is very thin, but bloody looking. So my hopes are that there is no deep infection and that the bleeding has either slowed or stopped. By the doctor's advice I have applied an Ace bandage to compress the area and keep fluid from collecting in the same spot again.

Hope no one else has this happen, but I guess if you are riding hard it is sometimes difficult to avoid.

I can picture it now...a group of riders loitering around the start line comparing road rash stories when Felt_Rider chimes in, "Well there was this one time...."

Hang in there brother. ;)

Felt_Rider said:
Thanks rule62

That's why I wanted to post my results and my experience. Just in case someone else has a similiar experience and is aprehensive on seeing a doctor. It's better to see a doctor and let them help guide you on recovery and to prevent further infection. I tried treating the areas myself according to procedures, but it just wasn't good enough. The impact did a lot of damage deeper below the surficial skin wound.
Never seen this before. This thread needs pictures.

Just kidding.

Woofer said:
Never seen this before. This thread needs pictures.

Just kidding.
You should have asked before she (doctor) drained it. :D

I have no intentions of going through this again.