Road Shoe Weight

dhk

Sep 1, 2003
After looking at all the component weights and wheel weights for a build kit, it occurred to me no one really talks about shoe weights. When I picked up my newer Carnac Ellipse shoes vs the old Shimano, they seemed a lot heavier. (Both have Look cleats mounted.)

A check on the scale revealed the Carnac's weigh 240 grams more than the 10 yr old CF Shimano's; 880 g/pr vs 640g/pr. Both say CF, but the Carnac's are obviously built heavier and stiffer. The Shimano's are more of a mesh runner's track-shoe, which I actually found comfortable, with lots of air-flow in the summer.

I know we're only talking fractions of a % in overall weight here, but it does seem strange you hear so much about frame weight, component weight, and rotating weight in wheels and pedals... but nothing about the shoes. 240 grams is a relatively huge weight reduction (if you're a weight geek.) I checked Performance and Nashbar catalogs, and didn't see weights listed for any of their shoes.

Dan

Well, the lack of response confirms my suspicions. Looks like everyone weighs their bike, but not their shoes.

I'm regluing my old Shimano's now to save that 240 gms of weight vs the Carnac Ellipse!

Dan

I wouldn't say it's sad, but it is difficult to find weights listed on the shoes when comparison shopping. For many of us, weight, particularly rotating weight, is a big consideration in the buying decision. Guys will pay hundreds of dollars to save 1/2 pound on their wheels, pedals, components and frame.

Dan

This is not an area that I've ignored. The Sidi Energy shoes that I bought recently are much lighter and far better designed than the heavy, clunky Specialized shoes that I was using (now relegated to training duty).

IMO, a cycling shoe should fit the foot like a sleek glove, be fitted such as to not permit foot motion inside the shoe, be small enough such as to not make heel contact with chain stays, and be light enough such as to be as 'transparent' as possible when pedaling.

Originally posted by Ted B
This is not an area that I've ignored. The Sidi Energy shoes that I bought recently are much lighter and far better designed than the heavy, clunky Specialized shoes that I was using (now relegated to training duty).

IMO, a cycling shoe should fit the foot like a sleek glove, be fitted such as to not permit foot motion inside the shoe, be small enough such as to not make heel contact with chain stays, and be light enough such as to be as 'transparent' as possible when pedaling.

Do you know how the Energy fits and weighs compared to the Genius series? For example, does it use the same foot last?

My red Genuis IIIs have given me great service for 20,000 miles or so, and still look reasonably good, if faded, but I am considering new pair. I almost certainly will stay with Sidis because I know how they fit.

Originally posted by Look381i
Do you know how the Energy fits and weighs compared to the Genius series?

The Energy fits wonderfully and is definitely an upgrade from the Genius. What I don't like about the Genius and many other shoes are the velcro straps. The Energy has the spider buckle and two tecno buckles, which are fully adjustable and make the shoe feel like a natural part of your foot. The sole rigidity is also adjustable. The shoe feels very light. For around $140 USD, you can't go wrong.

Curiously enough, the U.S. distributor does not list the Energy. Go figure. I mail ordered mine from the UK. You can see it on the Italian website: http://www.sidisport.com, and you can get it here: http://www.totalcycling.com/

Anyone have access to a shoe-weight comparison chart? With all the volumes of data compiled on component weight, I wonder why manufacturers and retailers don't offer shoe weights more frequently.

My Pearl Izumi Vapers seem pretty light...

Originally posted by lokstah
Anyone have access to a shoe-weight comparison chart? With all the volumes of data compiled on component weight, I wonder why manufacturers and retailers don't offer shoe weights more frequently.

My Pearl Izumi Vapers seem pretty light...

You look like the one to be the data center. This is from the Sidi site. it's a little dated because of the refernce to the Genius III, but I imagine the weight for the 4 is similar:

"WHAT ARE THE WEIGHTS OF A SIDI ENERGY? SIDI GENIUS 3?
The Energy model weighs 580grams per pair for a size 42.0 and the Genius 3 weighs 570grams per pair for a size 42.0."

Total Cycling gives the weight of the Genius 4 in size 43 as 590 grams.

Originally posted by Ted B
The Energy fits wonderfully and is definitely an upgrade from the Genius. What I don't like about the Genius and many other shoes are the velcro straps. The Energy has the spider buckle and two tecno buckles, which are fully adjustable and make the shoe feel like a natural part of your foot. The sole rigidity is also adjustable. The shoe feels very light. For around $140 USD, you can't go wrong.

Curiously enough, the U.S. distributor does not list the Energy. Go figure. I mail ordered mine from the UK. You can see it on the Italian website: http://www.sidisport.com, and you can get it here: http://www.totalcycling.com/

Ted B: The spider buckle is one of my concerns. I tend to undo my mechanical and my top velcro strap each time to make it easier to get my shoes off and on. The low tech velcro makes that easy. Is it easy to undo and redo the spider buckles? Will they wear out over hundreds of redos?

Chris W.

After the discussion about pedal weights, I weighed my shoes on the kitchen scale out of curosity, since I noticed the Carnac's felt quite a bit heavier than my old Shimano R100's. I bought them on-sale at an LBS, didn't even stop to think about the weight then.

Dan

Ted B: The spider buckle is one of my concerns. I tend to undo my mechanical and my top velcro strap each time to make it easier to get my shoes off and on. The low tech velcro makes that easy. Is it easy to undo and redo the spider buckles? Will they wear out over hundreds of redos?

Chris W.
Good point; I've had the same concern. Spider buckles and other fancy adjustment latches may be precise, but I like the mechanical simplicity of velcro straps or old-fashioed tooth-latch buckles.

Any merit to the durability concern for spiders? Anyone noticed early wear & tear breakdown?

That question I cannot answer, but it doesn't feel 'cheap'. If you want a shoe for casual club rides and convenience, you may want something else. The difference between the Energy and my velcro Specialized is like the difference between a sprinter's shoe and an athletic shoe.