Rollers?

RedRider2009

Nov 24, 2007
Hi, I am planning on purchasing some type of trainer soon to keep my body in shape until next riding season. I have been doing a little bit of research on the wind trainers, mag trainers, as well as rollers. Which of these seems to work the best? Which is the most quiet? Please just give me any tips about how to choose which type of trainer to buy. Thanks

I found rollers that have a resistance unit, allow me the most realistic training. My FTP power numbers on the rollers are almost the same. I can't sprint or get out of the saddle, but most trainers have seemed jerky in the spin for me. I have also tried rollers with a folded towel underneath one the rollers, with pretty good results.

The Kurt Kinetic Road Machine has a leak proof design and a predictable power curve that matches the road. It quietly takes what ever your workout requires.

I tried rollers this winter thinking that they might be more comfortable to sit on and more fun to ride. They were for a short period of time, but personally I felt that the inability to sit up between intervals, get out of the saddle to stretch the legs and back, wipe off with a towel, adjust the shorts, etc. made it far more uncomfortable to stay on them for more that a very short workout. Even trying to take a drink was exciting!

Maybe if I'd given them more time I could have gotten good enough to ride with no hands and wipe my face and shoulders down with a towel, but I've gone back to the fluid trainer.

frenchyge said:
I tried rollers this winter thinking that they might be more comfortable to sit on and more fun to ride. They were for a short period of time, but personally I felt that the inability to sit up between intervals, get out of the saddle to stretch the legs and back, wipe off with a towel, adjust the shorts, etc. made it far more uncomfortable to stay on them for more that a very short workout. Even trying to take a drink was exciting!

Maybe if I'd given them more time I could have gotten good enough to ride with no hands and wipe my face and shoulders down with a towel, but I've gone back to the fluid trainer.
I had rollers for 4 years ,it take sometime to get use to ride but soon you will be able to ride with one hand(get a drink...).

I like to use the rollers for a long training session (2hrs 1/2 to 3 hrs 1/2)on my TT bike and use my big gear 54x11, cad. as fast as possible for 1 hr 30' and some 2' intervals max speed ( i keep my hands close to the brakes for the 2' intervals :D ).

Don't give up to soon, the rollers are fun in the winter,it give a brake from riding the trainer every day ;) .Ride hard,Musher.

I got a Cycleops Fluid 2 trainer last year but hardly used it – worked okay but I hated it – so boring - time seemed to stop – 10 minutes seemed like an hour, (I also don’t like the way it really slows down as soon as you ease up on the pedals - I think a bigger flywheel would make it better). After just 3 rides I decided I’d rather get wet and muddy than ride the trainer (getting wet and muddy is a real pain when staying in a hotel as I do most of the time). Haven’t used it since.
Next year I will be doing some work in Afghanistan and I am not keen to go riding on the roads there, so I was recently researching other options. I came across e motion rollers: http://www.insideride.com
They say you can ride no handed, stand up and sprint, etc. The rollers are mounted so that they can move forwards and backwards and there are bumpers and wheels to stop you going off sideways, etc. I first came across it at www.mtbr.com where it’s scored 5 out of 5. Not cheap but it sounds good. It has a magnetic resistance unit so I guess it can be used for training with power? If anyone here has any experience with this product please let us know.
JB.

I've used both. Been riding years and years on rollers (as little as possible). This year I'm trying a trainer, Cycleops Magneto. The advantage of the latter is you don't have to worry about balance while doing hard intervals, kind of like the road. Easier to get on and off and stand up, etc. Pedaling out of the saddle is no better than rollers because of the lack of bike movement though. Also, riding outside after many days on the trainer feels decidely strange. Why is my front wheel so wobbly? Rollers don't have this side-effect.

I can stand up on the rollers and ride no hands (not at the same time!) -- even do stupid tricks like ride no hands and pedal with one foot clipped in. But I can't stand and push hard. It's just for relief of soft tissues. Then again, I can't do that on a trainer either.

My conclusion is that a trainer is better than stationary rollers for intervals hard enough that you want to put your head down and just ride. I've fallen off of rollers doing that. (By the way, you will not be launched forward when this happens. With no forward momentum your tires just skid to a stop.)

Now, e-motion rollers or a DIY equivalent may be a completely different story. I'd like to try those.

For me 4.5" Kreitlers with the fan are my favorite. The resistance is variable and feels pretty realistic to me, I ride power levels from tempo to above VO2 max on them and they feel just fine. Once you get the hang of them they aren't that bad, you will soon be drinking from your bottle again, stretching your legs and so on.

And if you still want the advantages of a stationary trainer you can use the fork stand once in a while. Personally I don't like to train that way for the same reasons I always have hated stationary trainers, but if I am making adjustments to my position or say fiddling with TT bars the stand is handy for wrenching a bit and then getting back on.

I use a powertap hub most of the time on mine and as long as I keep the workouts around an hour I do about what I am able to do outside, though I need a new cyclocross race to watch.

The kreitler headwind looks like it has a good power curve does it make alot of noise above 275 watts?

kytyree said:
For me 4.5" Kreitlers with the fan are my favorite. The resistance is variable and feels pretty realistic to me, I ride power levels from tempo to above VO2 max on them and they feel just fine. Once you get the hang of them they aren't that bad, you will soon be drinking from your bottle again, stretching your legs and so on.

And if you still want the advantages of a stationary trainer you can use the fork stand once in a while. Personally I don't like to train that way for the same reasons I always have hated stationary trainers, but if I am making adjustments to my position or say fiddling with TT bars the stand is handy for wrenching a bit and then getting back on.

I use a powertap hub most of the time on mine and as long as I keep the workouts around an hour I do about what I am able to do outside, though I need a new cyclocross race to watch.

It makes some noise, yes, but I wouldn't call it objectionable. It won't keep your neighbors awake.

wiredued said:
The kreitler headwind looks like it has a good power curve does it make alot of noise above 275 watts?

I have several sets of rollers. 4.5 with headwind 3.0 cycleops and also a Kurt. I think you could have the best of everything with the 4.5 rollers with headwind and a fork stand. You could use it as a trainer with the fork stand and headwind unit or for pure roller work. The free rollers are great for recovery and for spin work, while the kurt or rollers with headwind are more like outdoor riding. (The rollers being more realistic.) The Kreitlers with all the fixins are $800~ new. I got mine in mint condition on ebay for $225 with the headwind and fork stand . That set up is on there all the time, but tend to be more in the $400 range. BTW you can learn to sprint on rollers. I can go well over 200 rpm . I have also seen video of guys riding no hands with one leg.... I will stay with two legs.

Billsworld said:
BTW you can learn to sprint on rollers. I can go well over 200 rpm . I have also seen video of guys riding no hands with one leg.... I will stay with two legs.

I can only wish!

I just learned to get off the saddle while using the rollers, and can ride with one hand; but sprinting on rollers is something that I don't see myself doing :(

BTW - To the OP, I would rather use a roller than any other type of trainer. As far as different brands\model, I am cheap and use the performance ones.

knonfs said:
I can only wish!

I just learned to get off the saddle while using the rollers, and can ride with one hand; but sprinting on rollers is something that I don't see myself doing :(

BTW - To the OP, I would rather use a roller than any other type of trainer. As far as different brands\model, I am cheap and use the performance ones.
I only race track, so I have to work high cadences. A good drill is to try to go 5 minutes at 120 without boucing. BTW just try sprinting seated. Its less dangerous than a crit:)

This morning I did a micro interval workout on my kreitlers with the headwind fan which puts me +300w during the "on" portion, it gets louder but its still pretty good.

I do my rides in a room near my kids/wife sleeping pretty often and even with the headwind fan and cycling.tv going as long as the door is closed I get no complaints.

And speaking of the power curve for the Kreitlers if you look at the 4.5's with headwind fan I suggest it over the smaller sized drums for a couple of reasons. I've had the smaller drums and they are great for harder workouts but they are harder to learn to ride and for me it was hard to do a real recovery ride on 2.25" drums. You would need a pretty easy gear to make that happen. While on the 4.5's with a headwind fan I have the range I need and similar to the road I shift accordingly to vary the load.