Rookie Questions

SlowTwitch

Jun 23, 2003
I have just moved to road cycling from mountain, and I want to eventually race. However, there are so many types of road racing and feel unqualified to decided which to train for. I am fairly ignorant of what would suit my riding style. On the mountain I exceled at climbing; I am not that strong (hope to change that) but have good endurance (I was a long distance runner). Based on this I think crit is out, other than that ...well, as I said I'm ignorant.

How much does traing differ based on the type of racing?
Right now I am just riding as much as I can as hard as I can (with recovery days of course) making sure to put in some good time going up the hills. This is about 20miles 5 days a week with a recovery day between each day, then a climbing day on the 6th day, and the seventh totally off the bike.

What type of racing is best for someone like me, who likes to climb, go long distances, and is really only good for a dead sprint once-in-a-while?

SlowTwitch:

Welcome to the road scene!!! You need a racing licence if you want to race. Get one here:

http://www.usacycling.org/membership/forms/2003_membership_app.pdf

Colorado is excellent for cycling, many top riders live there and top European professionals have done altitude training there also.

Find a good bike shop that specializes in road racing bikes and one that has road racers working there. Ask them when and where the fast group rides are. Start going on group rides to get a feel for speed and riding close to others.

Many of the people on fast group rides are racers. When you feel like you can hold your own with them, do some races.

Good luck!!!