Rowing and cycling cross training

Spider1977

Jul 19, 2003
I'm one of those early 40's who is having a second go at getting into a "real" sport after spending a few years wasting time on a golf course. I've been rowing for about 3 years now after a 20 year break - and loving it. Today, inspired by the Tour de France on TV, I took delivery of a new road bike which I plan to use for cross training. I am more interested in touring than racing, but that may change. I live in a place where there are lots of hills, sealevel to 1000m asl in 15km.

I am reasonably fit (male 183cm, 83kg), but I need to push myself a bit harder.

There are some similarities between rowing and cycling - use of legs, maintenance of a good cadence etc.

Any suggestions for a good training regime on the bike, starting now? The rowing season starts in October, so my aim is be at my peak in mid November.

I currently do about 7 to 10km three times per week in the single scull.:)

If you've just started biking, you'll find it is a little different to rowing. The same leg muscles are used, but the dynamics are a little different. Typical rowing stroke rates varies from 18 - 30 strokes per minute, with relatively long rest in between. On the bike you'll be doing 85-110 per minute, for longer intervals, typically 1.5 - 3 hours as opposed to a typical 60-75 minute rowing training.

(Back when I rowed, I biked off season and it always took some build-up & training before I could train at full go)

I would start off on 1-1.5 hour rides at relatively low intensity (about 26-30km/h?) to get your muscles&body adjusted to the new movements.
Over the first month, increase this to 1,5-2 hours. The main goal should be to lengthen the amount of time you can train on the bike.
When you're comfy with 2 hour rides you could try to increase the intensity a bit, see if you can get your base speed up.

In the 3rd month, I would go for some variation in training. Intervals, endurance and such. Won't go in to details now, as my carpals are playing up...

good luck
pj

Thanks pj. I've been doing exactly as you say. I went for a one hour ride yesterday and did a tad over 27km. Had a 5km slight hill climb up a higway where I could only do about 17kph going as hard as I could, but otherwise was able to maintain around 30kph. Riding up near 40kph for a sustained period seems a long way off, but that's my target.

I'm amazed how quick I'm improving on the bike. I guess I had a good base through rowing. Every ride, I'm making small gains.

Someone may be able to help me with how to use gears - do you aim for the same cadence no matter which gear you are in and try and work harder, say on hill climbs, using the lowest gear you can cope with or do you use a higher gear with higher cadence to maintain speed?

Spider

I try to maintain cadence -> can be hard in hills though, depending on the range of gears you have to play with and the steepness of the climb

I find maintaining cadence pays off in long run: better for knees, and is in line with my physique (wiry type endurance body, not power man)
typical cadance that suits me is 100-110, but my cycling friends are usually around 90-100.