RR: Hall Ranch, first time

Monique Y. Muda

Guest
Sistahs rides are mellow in temperament, and often in
terrain. Last night, though, we did the one Hall Ranch ride
of the season. Most of the beginners disappeared for this
one; that left me as the beginner representative.

The plan was this: ride for an hour. Wherever you are after
an hour, turn back so that you don't end up stuck on
unfamiliar terrain at night. Seemed reasonable.

Hall Ranch is gorgeous, and it is *way* more difficult than
anything I've ever attempted. I managed to scrabble over
some stuff I never thought I'd clear; still, there were a
number of sections I didn't feel bad for walking. (If one of
you can show me how some of these sections are even
*possible*, I'd love to see it. I'm sure they're doable -- I
just can't imagine how.) I can't imagine getting up enough
speed to clear some of the turns, which seem to require a
very precise angle to avoid being chomped by the rocks at
either side of the path.

Anyway ... the ride. I biked what I could and walked what I
couldn't. Towards the top, the ride gets more mellow
technically, but I was starting to feel the slippery edge of
exhaustion. One of the other women and I agreed to make it
at least to the loop ... I slowly lost her, though, and
eventually I just kind of ... stopped pedalling. I told two
guys who passed, "Tell the girl on the shiny yellow bike
that I couldn't make it." A couple of gasps later, I realize
that they've stopped not fifty feet ahead to chat with said
girl, so pride drags my sorry butt onto the bike and I pedal
on up to the fork.

Some discussion ensues -- we have about 10 minutes till an
hour will have passed. I'm promised that the climb is short;
the descent sweet. Okay. Off we go.

I quickly realize my error. Not only has my bike stopped
allowing me to use my two grannymost gears, but my body
isn't really all that ready for more climbing. I keep going,
gasping and panting like it's the first ride of the year.
Slowly, I lose sight of the other two women doing the loop,
but that's kind of comforting. I no longer worry about
keeping up; instead, I set my own pace, my breathing gets
regular, and I just keep trucking. Eventually, I do start to
head downhill, and yes, it is sweet, but it's getting long,
it's getting dark, and I don't see any other riders about.

Finally, I get back to the beginning of the loop, and the
girl who had done the loop with me asks if I'm okay. I tell
her I'm fine, just tired, and she scoots off. It seems like
I start after her right away, but she might as well have
vanished in a puff of smoke. I'm alone.

Well, okay then. I'm a bit grumpy because there was supposed
to have been a sweep rider, but then, I'm out about half an
hour past quitting time, so whose fault is that? I resolve
not to challenge myself *too* much; sure, it's getting late,
but it's better to get to the trailhead after dark than to
hurry and break an arm or something. That's my thought,
anyway. As I get to the technical sections, I get more and
more nervous; I'm afraid to try them without eye protection,
but I don't have clear lenses and the shades are making it
hard to see. I walked quite a lot of the way down, unwilling
to ride what I couldn't make out. Fortunately, even hiking
the bike, the way down was a lot faster than the way up. One
of the experts coming down from above asked if I was okay; I
told him my deal, and he offered to ride down with me. I
declined, not wanting to hold him up, but really appreciated
the offer. He did tell me that there were still a few riders
up top, so at least I knew that, if something did happen,
someone would find me before daybreak.

So, down I go, mostly walking, sometimes riding. I swear
that I can hear snatches of conversation from the women at
the trailhead. Eventually, I make it to the easier bit at
the bottom and start riding to the trailhead in earnest. The
girl on the shiny yellow bike rides up to me; she'd realized
I was way behind, so she rode down to get a light and come
back for me. As it turns out, I'd made it just about to the
trailhead by the time she got started again. Nice of her,
though. Everyone's happy to see me in one piece; I guess
previous rides at Hall have been more ... bloody.

Despite the fact that it's way out of my league, I really
liked Hall. I'd like to go back some time when I don't have
to worry about night time creeping up and see how I do.

--
monique

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
> Sistahs rides are mellow in temperament, and often in
> terrain. Last night, though, we did the one Hall Ranch
> ride of the season. Most of the beginners disappeared for
> this one; that left me as the beginner representative.

Novice, my dear. Beginner is such an insulting word. The
others will always be "beginners" if they don't try harder.

> The plan was this: ride for an hour. Wherever you are
> after an hour, turn back so that you don't end up stuck on
> unfamiliar terrain at night. Seemed reasonable.
>
> Hall Ranch is gorgeous, and it is *way* more difficult
> than anything I've ever attempted. I managed to scrabble
> over some stuff I never thought I'd clear; still, there
> were a number of sections I didn't feel bad for walking.
> (If one of you can show me how some of these sections are
> even *possible*, I'd love to see it. I'm sure they're
> doable -- I just can't imagine how.) I can't imagine
> getting up enough speed to clear some of the turns, which
> seem to require a very precise angle to avoid being
> chomped by the rocks at either side of the path.

I used to think things were impossible to do (still do), but
you'll be amazed at what your bike and you can do. It's all
about balance. Don't ever feel bad about walking. It's the
best way to be able to try the area again some day without
crutches or a sling.

> Anyway ... the ride. I biked what I could and walked what
> I couldn't. Towards the top, the ride gets more mellow
> technically, but I was starting to feel the slippery edge
> of exhaustion. One of the other women and I agreed to make
> it at least to the loop ... I slowly lost her, though, and
> eventually I just kind of ... stopped pedalling. I told
> two guys who passed, "Tell the girl on the shiny yellow
> bike that I couldn't make it." A couple of gasps later, I
> realize that they've stopped not fifty feet ahead to chat
> with said girl, so pride drags my sorry butt onto the bike
> and I pedal on up to the fork.

Confusious say, "It's always faster on the bike".

> Some discussion ensues -- we have about 10 minutes till an
> hour will have passed. I'm promised that the climb is
> short; the descent sweet. Okay. Off we go.
>
> I quickly realize my error. Not only has my bike stopped
> allowing me to use my two grannymost gears, but my body
> isn't really all that ready for more climbing. I keep
> going, gasping and panting like it's the first ride of the
> year. Slowly, I lose sight of the other two women doing
> the loop, but that's kind of comforting. I no longer worry
> about keeping up; instead, I set my own pace, my breathing
> gets regular, and I just keep trucking. Eventually, I do
> start to head downhill, and yes, it is sweet, but it's
> getting long, it's getting dark, and I don't see any other
> riders about.

"Pace", the magic word. If you get caught up in what the
people are doing ahead of you, expect to lose steam. If this
were a race, it's a different story.

> Finally, I get back to the beginning of the loop, and the
> girl who had done the loop with me asks if I'm okay. I
> tell her I'm fine, just tired, and she scoots off. It
> seems like I start after her right away, but she might as
> well have vanished in a puff of smoke. I'm alone.
>
> Well, okay then. I'm a bit grumpy because there was
> supposed to have been a sweep rider, but then, I'm out
> about half an hour past quitting time, so whose fault is
> that? I resolve not to challenge myself *too* much; sure,
> it's getting late, but it's better to get to the trailhead
> after dark than to hurry and break an arm or something.
> That's my thought, anyway. As I get to the technical
> sections, I get more and

<snip>

Next bike purchase: HID Light

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Ride-a-lot says:

>Novice, my dear. Beginner is such an insulting word.

I always preferred "acolyte". It has the advantage of being
comfortingly mediaeval-monkish, with the implication that
this here mountain-biking is just as good as religion as
any. My cousin Herb used to walk in the woods on Sundays,
because he said that God had done a much better job than Man
did in building a place to worship. Never worshipped
outloud, either. Nice walks. ;-)

Steve "just yer basic agnostic, but I used to enjoy the
walk"

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
> Sistahs rides are mellow in temperament, and often in
> terrain. Last night, though, we did the one Hall Ranch
> ride of the season. Most of the beginners disappeared for
> this one; that left me as the beginner representative.

I like Steve B's term "acolyte". We won't make you wear the
white robes though. :)

snip nice report

> Despite the fact that it's way out of my league, I
> really liked Hall. I'd like to go back some time when I
> don't have to worry about night time creeping up and see
> how I do.

Its not out of your league after you've done it, just harder
than you're used to. And dark doesn't count. Familiar trails
can get real exciting in the dark, even with a light. If
you'd gotten to the trail head and said "This is out of my
league." and gone home, well yeah it would be. There are
lots of trails out there where maybe we can ride 90-95%, but
we fret about the 5-10% we can't. Work on the 5-10% when you
can and that percentage will drop over time.

Cheers, Shawn.

On 2004-06-26, Ride-A-Lot penned:

> Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
>> Sistahs rides are mellow in temperament, and often in
>> terrain. Last night, though, we did the one Hall Ranch
>> ride of the season. Most of the beginners disappeared for
>> this one; that left me as the beginner representative.
>
> Novice, my dear. Beginner is such an insulting word.
> The others will always be "beginners" if they don't
> try harder.

I s'pose. How 'bout "future not-sucky person"? *grin*

> I used to think things were impossible to do (still do),
> but you'll be amazed at what your bike and you can do.
> It's all about balance. Don't ever feel bad about walking.
> It's the best way to be able to try the area again some
> day without crutches or a sling.

I've seen some crazy stuff -- a lot of it in video footage
from this very newsgroup. It's inspiring.

> "Pace", the magic word. If you get caught up in what the
> people are doing ahead of you, expect to lose steam. If
> this were a race, it's a different story.

*nod* I've learned to regulate my breathing when I find
myself scrambling; it usually gets my legs to behave, too.
But it's a real struggle when someone's ahead of me -- my
natural reaction, without even realizing it, is to catch up.

> Next bike purchase: HID Light

There's a thought. I really didn't expect to be out that
late ... but I'm sure that can be true of a lot of rides.

--
monique

On 2004-06-26, Stephen Baker penned:

> I always preferred "acolyte". It has the advantage of
> being comfortingly mediaeval-monkish, with the
> implication that this here mountain-biking is just as
> good as religion as any.

Or cultish =P

> My cousin Herb used to walk in the woods on Sundays,
> because he said that God had done a much better job than
> Man did in building a place to worship. Never worshipped
> outloud, either. Nice walks. ;-)

Makes sense to me.

> Steve "just yer basic agnostic, but I used to enjoy
> the walk"

I definitely know what you mean. I'm agnostic, too, but
I feel most spiritual when surrounded by things not
made by man.

--
monique

On 2004-06-26, Shawn Curry penned:

> Its not out of your league after you've done it, just
> harder than you're used to. And dark doesn't count.
> Familiar trails can get real exciting in the dark, even
> with a light.

No doubt.

> If you'd gotten to the trail head and said "This is out of
> my league." and gone home, well yeah it would be.

Fortunately, the trail head is mellow. By the time it gets
interesting, my ego is well invested =)

> There are lots of trails out there where maybe we can
> ride 90-95%, but we fret about the 5-10% we can't. Work
> on the 5-10% when you can and that percentage will drop
> over time.

*nod* ... I think in this case it might have been more like
75-80%, but the point remains.

And after experiencing Hall, my usual haunts should be much
less intimidating.

--
monique

"Monique Y. Mudama" <[email protected]> wrote

> Despite the fact that it's way out of my league, I
> really liked Hall. I'd like to go back some time when I
> don't have to worry about night time creeping up and see
> how I do.

Cool. Hall is a stiff ride, but way fun.

I'm in Boulder for the weekend, actually. (The best advice
for the citizenry is to remain indoors with the blinds
closed until the danger passes.) Have to say, I like to see
the trend of everybody riding around town on cool
singlespeed cruisers. Nothing like a cute girl in a dress
riding a big balloon-tired townie. Aah.

CC

Corvus Corvax wrote:
> "Monique Y. Mudama" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>>Despite the fact that it's way out of my league, I
>>really liked Hall. I'd like to go back some time when I
>>don't have to worry about night time creeping up and see
>>how I do.
>

> Cool. Hall is a stiff ride, but way fun.
>
> I'm in Boulder for the weekend, actually. (The best advice
> for the citizenry is to remain indoors with the blinds
> closed until the danger passes.) Have to say, I like to
> see the trend of everybody riding around town on cool
> singlespeed cruisers. Nothing like a cute girl in a dress
> riding a big balloon-tired townie. Aah.
>
> CC

Come out to the glider side of the airport tomorrow (Sunday)
around noon, and I may be able to get you a view of Boulder
from a different perspective.

Shawn

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote:
> Despite the fact that it's way out of my league, I
> really liked Hall. I'd like to go back some time when I
> don't have to worry about night time creeping up and see
> how I do.

It was nice that there were some riders that checked in
on you. Some group rides can get pretty lonely for the
newest members.

Great RR Monique, keep em coming.

Have you had enough time on the new ride to post your
thoughts on it???
--
- Rog

http://www.wpcusrgrp.org/~rogerbuchanan/index.html

NOTE: to Reply to this, remove the phrase "NOSPAM" from my
"Reply To:" address, or it will be returned.

On 2004-06-26, Corvus Corvax penned:

> Cool. Hall is a stiff ride, but way fun.

Definitely. I can't wait to ride it more, and better.

> I'm in Boulder for the weekend, actually. (The best advice
> for the citizenry is to remain indoors with the blinds
> closed until the danger passes.) Have to say, I like to
> see the trend of everybody riding around town on cool
> singlespeed cruisers. Nothing like a cute girl in a dress
> riding a big balloon-tired townie. Aah.

Er ... right. Does this look like alt.binaries.pr0n.bike
to you? =P

--
monique

On 2004-06-27, Roger Buchanan penned:

> "Monique Y. Mudama" wrote:
>> Despite the fact that it's way out of my league, I
>> really liked Hall. I'd like to go back some time when I
>> don't have to worry about night time creeping up and see
>> how I do.
>
> It was nice that there were some riders that checked in on
> you. Some group rides can get pretty lonely for the newest
> members.

Ordinarily, there's a sweep on these rides to make sure no
one is left behind. As I said, I stayed up top way past the
designated return time. There is also a sign-out sheet, and
as I hadn't signed out, there were several people waiting
for me at the bottom, not to mention the one who grabbed a
light and started back up the trail for me.

Anyway, yes. I was impressed that one of the "hammerheads"
would take the time to look out for an obvious newbie. It
certainly wouldn't have been much fun for him had I taken
him up on his offer.

> Great RR Monique, keep em coming.
>
> Have you had enough time on the new ride to post your
> thoughts on it???

I'm still getting used to it; I'm not sure I really know
enough about bikes to compare it. Things like the pressure
in the shocks, rebound adjustment, etc, make such a
difference, and I can't seem to isolate them from the
general feel of the bike. Speaking of which, I do want to
address my earlier complaint about having trouble getting
the front wheel up. When I got my bike fit, the fitter
noticed that my rebound both fore and aft was set waaaaay
slow. He sped the rebound up a bit, and suddenly, it handles
like a totally different bike. I think I was trying to
preload the front suspension, and when I lifted up, the
suspension just kept pace, sucking up all my effort. Now, I
can lift it easily ... maybe too easily. I'm still
unweighting my front tire accidentally way too often on
technical climbs. But that's a shortcoming in my
"technique," not in the bike.

So far, I'm happy with it. I keep the front at 100mm of
travel and the rear at 2.8 inches ... my options are 80-
125mm and 2.8 or 4.1, respectively.

--
monique

Shawn Curry <[email protected]> wrote

> Come out to the glider side of the airport tomorrow
> (Sunday) around noon, and I may be able to get you a view
> of Boulder from a different perspective.

Gracias, but I'll be on a 57 headed East by then. Just
popped in for a birthday party.

I've flown in sailplanes out of Colorado Springs.
Magnificent, cruising through the cumuli. And I've watched
sailplanes from the ground buzzing the Flatirons, maybe
fifty feet overhead. Fantastic. Always wanted to do that.

CC

Corvus Corvax wrote:

> Shawn Curry <[email protected]> wrote
>
>>Come out to the glider side of the airport tomorrow
>>(Sunday) around noon, and I may be able to get you a view
>>of Boulder from a different perspective.
>

> Gracias, but I'll be on a 57 headed East by then. Just
> popped in for a birthday party.

That's dedicated partying!

> I've flown in sailplanes out of Colorado Springs.
> Magnificent, cruising through the cumuli. And I've watched
> sailplanes from the ground buzzing the Flatirons, maybe
> fifty feet overhead. Fantastic. Always wanted to do that.

They don't let us do that anymore. There's a flight
restriction (they call it voluntary, yeah right) over the
Flatirons a lot of the year to prevent interference with
nesting Perigrin Falcons. The stupid birds don't realize
this and still come thermal with us outside of the
restricted area. :)

Shawn

P.S. Got in an hour flight before the deluge.

On 2004-06-28, Corvus Corvax penned:

Neither has looking at **** ... I hope!

--
monique