Ruling sought on transfusion for baby of Jehovah's Witness

"Say not the Struggle nought Availeth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> jabriol wrote:
>
> > "Say not the Struggle nought Availeth" <[email protected]> wrote in

message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >
> >>The freedom of religion is not absolute.
> >>
> >>Your freedom to raise your children as you will is not absolute.
> >>

> > I see, and this is stated where in the american constitution?
> >

> 1st Amendment s interpretated by the SCOTUS

court rulingds has nothing to do.. the question is, where in the
constitution?

another one that failed to answer the question..

"~* Karrolinia *~" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "jabriol" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Say not the Struggle nought Availeth" <[email protected]> wrote in

> message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > The freedom of religion is not absolute.
> > >
> > > Your freedom to raise your children as you will is not absolute.

> ===================>
> > I see, and this is stated where in the american constitution?

> $ Show us WHERE in the constitution it says a parent can legally beat,
> starve, abuse, rape and neglect their children.
> --

failure to answer the question noted.

sssssssssssssniiiiiiiiiiiiiipppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp

"~* Karrolinia *~" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "jabriol" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Tsu Dho Nimh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > No: the parents may believe what they want to, refuse all the
> > > transfusions they want to ... but they can't inflict those
> > > beliefs on children.

> =====================
> > Apart of the JW beliefs system is to teach their children their

religion.
> If
> > the state say they can not inflict the beliefs in thier children, then

the
> > state is deciding what religion the children to follow. this is
> > unconstitutional.

> ## Then go back where you came from. ...

last I heard NYC still follwed american federal laws..

"Greg Hanson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Say not wrote
> > > However, the govt can limit the practice of your religion.

> jabriol wrote
> > then there is no freedom of religion, and the constitution is a fraud.

> Actually, in practice, the truth seems somewhere in between.
>
> In theory the government is not supposed to restrict the
> freedome of religion in any way.
>
> In practice there is a limit to rights when they interfere
> with somebody elses rights.
>
> For example 1st Amendment does not protect your right to
> yell fire in a crowded disco.

yes it does, if there is a real fire.

"~* Karrolinia *~" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "jabriol" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > And here is the question, that Carol can not answer. This in the
> > constitution.. where? Because historicly speaking, child labor build

this
> > country.

> ===================
> What constitution? I didn't see anything in the constitution about

allowing
> your children to DIE because of some religious belief. How about you post
> the constitution of the US here for us to examine.

Misdirection noted.. failure to answer the question noted....

"~* Karrolinia *~" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "jabriol" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

> > children
> > > and believe they should be protected from unbalanced, neglectful, or

> > abusive
> > > parents.

> > belief, and a matter of constituional law are 2 different items.

> # Where in the constitutional law does it allow parents to starve,

neglect,
> beat, abuse their children?

misdirection noted yet again

> > >Whether the unbalanced mental and emotional state is caused by
> > > drug abuse, Alcohol abuse or religious fanaticism makes no difference.

> > here we go.. religious fanaticticism.. let say that is the case. Is it
> > constituional for the goverment to intervene in a religion that is
> > fanatical? and where in the law books it is written?

> # YES, where the life of a human being is concerned. Where in the law

books
> is it written we can starve, beat, kill...... our kids?

failure to answer noted.. yet again...

> > what about tradtional religion. Will the goverment step in and prohibit

> boys
> > from being altar boys, because the risk of get buggered by a preist is
> > likely?

> # What about your pseudo-religion? Will the government step in and
> prohibit boys
> from being around your pedophile elders, because the risk of get buggered

by
> a Jehovah's Witness is
> likely?

snip slander accusation that all elder are pedophiles.. and failure to
asnwer the question noted yet again..

It seems you can not answer a simple question of constituional law..

snip........................................................................

"~* Karrolinia *~" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > It appears to me that you are making your position because you are

opposed
> > to JWs.

> $$ I'm opposed to allowing children to die no matter what religion their
> parents are.

nahhh you dont care about children at all. we known you to exploit children
in the past to advance your hatred of JW's. it is an establish fact.

you call jw's moron, fanatics, and child molesters.. I guess that make you a
child molester, a moron, an d a fanatic for the 2o yrs you were a jw groupie
eh?

snip------------------------------------------------------------------------
--

"~* Karrolinia *~" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "jabriol" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "~* Reel McKoi *~" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > Children are not required by law or adopt the beliefs of their

parents.
> > > Loving, supporting, compassionate parents do not cram their religious
> > > beliefs (or any beliefs) down the throats of their children - with

> > innuendos
> > > that'll disown and shun them if they rejects such beliefs.

> =======================================
> > you are wrong on both accounts.

> ## Here in America we are not required to follow the religion of our
> parents.

as an adult. children are allowed to be guide by thier parents beliefs.. but
you b eing an atheist.. who allowed your own son to go wild unsupervise
parties at motels, and have a ******* child of his own.. show you how much
you care about children.

> If I tell my child that pre-marital sex is
> > biblicly wrong, may bring an unwanted pregancy or a sexual transmited
> > illness. The child has an option not to listen to me or respect my

> authority
> > as a parent.

> ## What has THIS got to do with a young person rejecting their parent's
> religion

it blew rght over your head eh...??/

snip

"~* Karrolinia *~" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "jabriol" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "~* Reel McKoi *~" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > # Yes, everyone knows what fanatical religions are capable of. Think
> > > allowing an innocent child to die because of the mistranslation made

by
> > > uneducated men with no knowledge of Greek and Hebrew at the Watchtower

> > Corp.
> > > Think 9/11 and the WTC for starters.

> > so muslims are fanatical. I see.

> $$ According to YOU all other religions are fanatical and demonical.

snip misdirection once again...

>> >wrong the state of Florida in fact did this against a JW adult. On the
>> >instance of the Father who had political pull as well as money.

The father had "political pull"? From what I can see in the
background, he was a TRUCKDRIVER ... "Ernesto works sixteen hours
a day Monday through Friday and seven hours on Saturday driving
his own commercial truck". And the father was NOT insisting on
it, the page you linked to said he was supportive of her
decision.

And reading the whole page at the link you gave, apparently
the final decision was this, which has NOTHING TO DO WITH
RELIGION!
"The right of a competent individual to refuse medical
treatment and to be free from nonconsensual invasion of his or
her bodily integrity, exists irrespective of that individual's
religious beliefs. The application of a rule which would allow a
patient to refuse life-saving medical treatment depending on the
presence (or absence) of particular religious beliefs (such as,
for example, the belief in the immortality of the soul and
everlasting life after death), would necessarily involve making a
judgment as to which religious beliefs deserve protection; such a
judgment, when made by courts, would not only be impractical but
also dangerous."

>> Cite the references please?

>http://jehovah.to/legal/blood/munoz.htm

YOU FAILED TO READ THE WHOLE THING ... That was the Supremes,
overturning the other court's decision:

"3. Conclusion. The patient had the right to refuse to consent to
the blood transfusion even though she would have in all
probability died if she had started to hemorrhage. The State's
interests in preserving the patient's life, in maintaining the
ethical integrity of the profession, and in protecting the
well-being of the patient's child, did not override the patient's
right to refuse life-saving medical treatment. Accordingly, the
judgment is reversed and a new judgment declaring the rights of
the parties, consistent with this opinion, is to be entered in
the Probate Court.

>On April 14, the judge granted the declaratory judgment authorizing blood
>transfusions which were "reasonably necessary to save [the patient's] life."
>The judgment also absolved the hospital and its agents from any civil or
>criminal liability, except for negligence or malpractice, which might arise
>from a blood transfusion.

And the local judge's decision was appealed, and OVERTURNED ...

>While recognizing that a competent adult may usually refuse
>medical treatment, the judge stated that the hospital could administer the
>blood transfusions because, if they did not and Ms. Munoz subsequently*120
>died, Ernesto, Jr., would be "abandoned." The judge concluded that the
>State's interest in protecting the well-being of Ernesto, Jr., outweighed
>Ms. Munoz's right to refuse the medical treatment.

You failed to include this - the hospital DID NOT give a
transfusion.

":[1] Mootness. Ms. Munoz's ulcer did not hemorrhage after the
entry of the judgment. She was released from the hospital *121
without receiving a blood transfusion. The hospital argues that
the case is moot.

>Ms. Munoz argues that the judge erred because she has a right, as a
>competent adult, to refuse life-saving medical treatment, and the State's
>interests do not override that right.

"In cases where a competent adult refuses medical treatment for
herself, the State's interest in preserving the particular
patient's life will not override the individual's decision."

"The issue is*128 whether a competent adult can be prevented from
exercising her right to refuse life-saving medical treatment
because of the individual's duties to her child."

"[9] We need only state that we agree with the reasoning of the
Florida court, and hold that, in the absence of any compelling
evidence that the child will be abandoned, the State's interest
in protecting the well-being of children does not outweigh the
right of a fully competent adult to refuse medical treatment. Our
review of the record in this case reveals no such compelling
evidence."

Tsu Dho Nimh

--
When businesses invoke the "protection of consumers," it's a lot like
politicians invoking morality and children - grab your wallet and/or

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003, Jeff Strickland wrote:

> "Rich Shewmaker" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > Too late, Jeff. This is not an isolated new situation. There are lots of
> > precedents for the court intervening to allow medical treatment of a child
> > that parents have rejected. Not only JW's and blood products, either.
> > Children have been given chemotherapy for cancer against their parents
> > wishes. Court intervention in treatment of children happens much more
> > frequently than you might imagine.

> It happens all too frequently.

I think it doesn't happen enough.

We still hear instances of children dying due to parents' refusal to use
what medical treatments are available.

When it no longer happens, it will "be enough."

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003, jabriol wrote:

> "Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > It frightens me that you would give so much power to government. We may as
> > well drop our babies off at the government collection points immediately
> > upon the birth of the child.

> Carol would love this to happen to all JW's.. take their children away at
> birth.

Carol who?

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003, jabriol wrote:

> "Carol Lee Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > It is even more frightening that anyone would consider parents' religion
> > more important than the life of a child.

> So the life of a child is the most important thing in life, and yet look at
> all the effort made to kill a preborn child to begin with.

A gamete is not a child.

An embryo is not a child.

A fetus is not a child.

> > > I don't buy into the JW religion at all, but it is a recognized

> religion.

> > Do recognized religions have more validity than unrecognized religions?
> > What is a recognized religion?

> > Who decides?

<snip>

> > It is a sad thing to think that anyone in their right mind would consider
> > some ideas about an imaginary friend to be more important than the life of
> > a child.

> so.. there is no God.

You are entitled to your own opinion on this.

> and that is the basis and the extent of Carol
> complaint.

That no gods exist is an issue which should not be connected with the
issue of whether children receive the best medical care available
appropriate to their needs.

> > It is a sad thing to think that anyone in their right mind would consider
> > some ideas about an imaginary friend to be more important than the life of
> > a child.

> > But I repeat myself.

> > > If we are going work so strenuously as to keep religion from
> > > government, then we should work just as strenuously to keep government
> > > from religion, no matter how we feel about the religion itself.

> > That's the idea.

> > > If any religion at all is bad for gorvernment, then it must also be true
> > > that any government is bad for religion.

> > No kidding.

> > > ... no guarantee that the medical treatment that being blocked
> > > will even be effective.

> > It is a sad thing to think that anyone in their right mind would consider
> > some ideas about an imaginary friend to be more important than the life of
> > a child.

> > It is worth repeating.

> then it is equally sad, that a child practice any religious holiday in a
> public school. Since most holidays are religious in nature, and it up to the
> goverment to teach our children to be atheist.. religious holidays should be
> banned from school.

What does celebration of holidays have to do with children dying because
their parents think their belief in imaginary friends is more important
than the health and life of their child?

In light of your mention of holidays in school, you might be interested to
know that the U.S. government has decided Christmas is not a religious
holiday.

Seems to me that is not agreeable news to xns.

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003, jabriol wrote:

> "Carol Lee Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > There have been many instances when parental rights have been abrogated
> > for many different reasons.

> > The life and health of the child are far more important than your parental
> > rights.

> > Sorry, but that's a fact.

I have since the time of that writing decided I was wrong to have said I
was sorry.

It's a fact. Period. I am not sorry.

> And here is the question, that Carol can not answer. This

What?

> in the constitution.. where?

Where is what in the Constitution?

> Because historicly [sic] speaking, child labor build [sic] this country.

Because profit was realized from the labor of children is not
justification for keeping the practice.

Children are now protected by law from being exploited in the way they
were exploited in the past.

Are we to assume you approve of the exploitation of children and
disapprove of child labor laws?

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003, jabriol wrote:

> here we go.. religious fanaticticism.. let say that is the case. Is it
> constituional for the goverment to intervene in a religion that is
> fanatical?

Religion has no special exemption which allows religion to supercede
protecting the health and life of children.

> and where in the law books it is written?

Where is what written?

> what about tradtional religion.

What about it?

> Will the goverment step in and prohibit boys from being altar boys,
> because the risk of get [sic] buggered by a preist [sic] is likely?

That is doubtful. Do you think it should?

> why not have a law prohibiting Jehovah Witnesses from having children at
> all?

Based upon what?

> and Muslims.. since children may be used by islamic parent to strap on bombs
> in the name of Allah?

Probably not.

> > Some fathers believe in incest with their daughters. They TRULY believe
> > in it - should we all look the other way and not interfere?

Religious beliefs should not be protected when they are contrary to equal
protection under the law.

> > > You are suggesting that parents must accept a certain form of medical
> > > treatment for a child, even if that treatment 1.) is against everything
> > > they hold as truth, and 2.) is unknown if it will even work.

> > # When a child needs BLOOD and nothing else has a chance of saving it -
> > yes!

> key word.. "chance

I do believe the key words are "child protection."

> "> The life of the child comes before the religious beliefs of the
> > parents. I have no way to know what "other" treatments you are referring
> > to.

> she knows, she was an EMT in NYC. she play [sic] dumb, because it would
> defeat her venedetta against JW's.

What is venedetta?

<snip>

> > # PLEASE,.... lets stick to reality here. Before you talk about god
> > "healing" the child go visit St. Judes Children's Hospital in Memphis TN.
> > You will see how god heals the children - make sure you get to see the
> > morgue. The Jews trusted in god and 6,000,000 of them were slaughtered
> > by the Nazis.

> > You are suggesting that thier faith is better placed in government.

> > # Their faith is better placed in ANYONE who can save and help the child.

> calling Michael Jackson....

What for?

<snip>

> > # It's their decision up to the point where their irrational choices will
> > cost an innocent child her/his life.

> writen [sic] in the constitution......where?

Is all of "equal protection" written in the Constitution?

"~* Karrolinia *~" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Mark Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > Also, parents DO have a right to let their children
> > die. That's called abortion -- according to the court
> > they have a constitutional right to terminate the lives
> > of their unborn children (before the child reaches a
> > certain stage of development).

> ## This is a totally different subject. We're talking about children
> already born, not embryos/fetuses!

To me there's no difference. To me, the
embryo/fetus is still the child of the parents,
and is a living human that has a God-given right
to protection and has a right to have its
parents make decisions that protect it so
that it will be born. [It's a side issue
that the USA and other governments don't
grant the unborn that right in their man-made
laws.]

Some threads ago, you're the one who high-handedly
lectured me about circumcision, that 'foreskins
have a PURPOSE' and it isn't for man to take them
away (for any reason, religious or otherwise).
Well, an embryo/fetus has a purpose too -- but
it seems that you have no problem with seeing
that purpose terminated according to some human
justifications.

What I'm going to propose next as an illustration
is purposely outrageous (to be prepared to be
offended):

Suppose a JW women is 2 months pregnant and has
a 9-month-old child already (it could be older).
The child suffers some malady (accident, disease)
that requires treatment that traditionally involves
blood transfusions. Of course, the parents refuse
consent to use blood, and the doctors go to court
to force blood.

Now imagine the doctors say this: "Since it's obvious
to us that you WANT your child to die, how about this:
we abort the child you are carrying instead, because
THAT is legal AND perfectly ethical, and we save the
other, since that will still leave you with one child?
Since you obviously want to kill a child, we'll let
you kill the one it's legal for you kill."

Again, of course it's outrageous to suggest that any
doctor would really say this as a just rationale for
aborting a child, but it's just as outrageous to JWs
to say we WANT to kill our children because we cannot,
in good conscience, consent to blood transfusions.

BUT, the legality of the suggestion still stands.
It's legal for that same woman to abort her unborn
child, but it's not legal for her not to consent to
a transfusion for her born child (even though she
is still seeking the best bloodless care possible).

> > Parents also have a constitutional right to expose
> > their children to another potentially fatal risk --
> > they have a right to own and bring guns into their
> > homes.

> ## What's the connection? People keep large dogs and dogs have killed
> children as well, so have fallen off bunkbeds, getting their heads caught in
> cribs or between mattress's and walls, hanging themselves with Venetian
> blind cords.... do we go back to living in skin huts and caves?

Excellent additional material.

In real life, parents have the right to make
decisions for their families and homes that
may introduce harm to their children. Your examples
help us all appreciate how common that is.
In fact, parents don't have to get permission to
do any of the things you mention. There are LOTS
of choices, some of which are safer than others,
some of which have a much higher statistical risk
of causing real harm than others. Yet, all of
those decisions are unregulated by the law.

But medical decisions ARE regulated by the law?
Even when it is clear that the parents ARE seeking
medical care (but possibly care this is too advanced
for the abilities of the doctors at hand to provide)?

> > At present, the law doesn't seem to allow JWs to
> > refuse blood for their children on RELIGIOUS
> > reasons (even though our money says "in God we
> > trust" -- evidently JWs can pay doctors with that
> > money, but JWs cannot claim that in this one instance,
> > they are legally allowed to trust God more than they
> > trust doctors).

> ## The Jews trusted in god and look what happened to them. Think Masada and
> Germany.

Well ... I guess you can be outrageous too.

I'll let the Jews speak for themselves (feel
free to run what you say here by a few of them).
JWs trusted in God during Nazi rule -- I'll look
at what happened to them.

[Side note: recently, in the news, was mention of
a Jew who went through the Holocaust, who later
became a JW. He was 'on tour' as part of a Holocaust
education program. I'll try to google the reference
if you'd like.]

> > But, does the law allow parents to
> > refuse blood because they believe that they are making
> > a medically PROTECTIVE decision, to keep them from
> > getting something fatal from blood itself?

> ## Better to take a 2% chance of something in the blood then 100% chance of
> certain death.

All death is certain, eventually. Prognostications
by doctors are NOT always certain.

JWs have proven that treatments that doctors
swore could not be done without blood (100%
chance of death) can be done.

JWs prefer to take the 2% chance if the
alternative is (to us) a 100% chance of
displeasing God.

-mark.

> [...]

> JWs trusted in God during Nazi rule -- I'll look
> at what happened to them.
>
> [Side note: recently, in the news, was mention of
> a Jew who went through the Holocaust, who later
> became a JW. He was 'on tour' as part of a Holocaust
> education program. I'll try to google the reference
> if you'd like.]
>

> > > But, does the law allow parents to
> > > refuse blood because they believe that they are making
> > > a medically PROTECTIVE decision, to keep them from
> > > getting something fatal from blood itself?

> > ## Better to take a 2% chance of something in the blood then 100% chance

of
> > certain death.

> All death is certain, eventually. Prognostications
> by doctors are NOT always certain.
>
> JWs have proven that treatments that doctors
> swore could not be done without blood (100%

From this, it appears that a court order to transfuse the blood is the best
outcome for all. Certainly, the parents have not displeased God, because
they refused the transfusion in the first place. The infant cannot have
displeased God, because he is innocent of any ability to provide input to
the decision. If anyone has displeased God, it is the medical professionals
and the courts, people who clearly are comfortable with taking that risk.
The child lives.

--Rich

On 22 Nov 2003, Mark Sornson wrote:

> "~* Karrolinia *~" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> > ## This is a totally different subject. We're talking about children
> > already born, not embryos/fetuses!

> To me there's no difference. <snip>

You are entitled to you opinion. You are not entitled to force your
opinion on those who don't agree with you.

> Some threads ago, you're the one who high-handedly
> lectured me about circumcision, that 'foreskins
> have a PURPOSE' and it isn't for man to take them
> away (for any reason, religious or otherwise).

The purpose served benefits the person so endowed.

> Well, an embryo/fetus has a purpose too

The embryo/fetus has the effect of being a parasite on the female body,
sucking off of the resources of that female.

To a consenting female, that is fine.

But not everyone appreciates such a parasitic relationship.

In some cases, it very well may jeopardize the life of the female.

Comparing a fetus/embryo to a foreskin is bizarre.

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003, Jeff Strickland wrote:

> One must never allow government to make decisions in the place of a parent
> or pretty soon government will insist on making decisions in place of all
> parents.

"One" can do nothing to stop the government from stepping in when the
health, welfare or life of a minor is at stake.

That is the way it is.

Apparently you are totally unfamiliar with child welfare agencies and
practices or of established precedent in this situation.

Parents who withhold appropriate medical treatment for their children have
been prosecuted and jailed in some states. Unfortunately, my state is one
of the few which doesn't prosecute parents if death of a minor occurs
because parents either denied or did not seek appropriate available
medical treatment.

> Then, it will inisit on making progressively easier decisions.

What do you mean by "progressively easier decisions"?

>At which point should government make
> decisions on how we seek medical
> treatment for our kids?

They already do. Where have you been?

> Should they insist on stiches when we will accept a
> BandAid and a scar?

I think you are trivializing how serious a matter it is for parents to
deny medical treatment in dire circumstances. We are not talking about
bandaids here, or even stitches. Can you say strawman?

> Maybe it will demand an operation when a splint and an
> Ace Bandage for a few weeks will do.

See above.

> How do we set the standard for when government should intervene?

I don't think you do.

> Should that standard consider the financial
> ability of the family involved?

Seriously ill or injured minors are not denied medical treatment, are
they?

> Should the religious conviction of the family be a consideration?

If said religious convictions prevent appropriate care to seriously ill or
injured minors.

> And, in this particular case, the doctors themselves seem to be in conflict
> as to whether or not the transfusion will even do what it is supposed to do.
> Why should a parent be forced to accept a procedure that the doctors
> themselves do not agree will do the trick?

If this is not a (another) strawman, give us examples. Give us
"for-instances."

> Why should a parent be forced to
> accept a medical procedure that within the period of their lifetimes wasn't
> even an option?

Strawman.

Do you have a valid reason why the life of a minor should be put in
jeopardy just because when the parents were kids the treatment was not
available?

> When these parents were younger and the same illness came
> upon a child, they couldn't even attempt a procedure because nobody knew how
> to do it. When this happened, the child was lost to the illness and we all
> hung our heads in grief, and moved on.

Not only a strawman, but that is a sorry-*ss reason upon which to base the
argument it is OK to let the parents deny medical treatment.