Saddles for Big Guys

mark444

Feb 17, 2008
I am 6'6", 230lbs, so a tall/big but active rider. I have a Trek 1000 with a padded racing style saddle. I would have thought I'd need a new saddle before now but this one has done a good job on rides as long as 100K. The saddle is staring to get loose so I'm thinking an upgrade is in order. Does anyone have a suggestion on a saddle upgrade for someone my size? I live in an area with lots of hills so a changing position on the saddle is something I do often.

Thanks Mark. :)

mark444 said:
I am 6'6", 230lbs, so a tall/big but active rider. I have a Trek 1000 with a padded racing style saddle. I would have thought I'd need a new saddle before now but this one has done a good job on rides as long as 100K. The saddle is staring to get loose so I'm thinking an upgrade is in order. Does anyone have a suggestion on a saddle upgrade for someone my size? I live in an area with lots of hills so a changing position on the saddle is something I do often.

If you're happy with the current Trek saddle, you could just get a replacement. If you want to "upgrade", make sure the saddle is strong enough and wide enough.

Specialized markets saddles in sizes. Their dealers have a memory foam pad you sit on to determine the width of your sitzbones and the size you need. At 6'6", you'll likely need the largest size.

Selle San Marco also has their saddles ranked by rider size and weight. I've ridden the ERA in the past and found it very comfortable. They aren't widely-stocked in LBS here, but you can check out their offerings on their website.

mark444 said:
Leather saddles are a love-hate option you can consider ...

You might want to look at the BROOKS B17 (standard) ... it's a significantly wider saddle by today's standard ... heck, almost all BROOKS saddles will be wider (that's generally a good thing EXCEPT with regard to cosmetics if you want your bike to look like something a sponsored, 5'7" Pro rider is using).

If you get a BROOKS saddle, set the rails parallel-to-the-horizon, initially ... a new saddle will be rock hard -- THAT will change slightly over time.

The obvious downside to a BROOKS saddle is the weight (which is enough reason for SOME people not to consider one) + the need for periodic maintenance (never use Neatsfoot Oil despite what you may read elsewhere BECAUSE it will shorten the effective life of the saddle); but, the saddle could last decades with just a minimum amount of effort on your part; so, the cost is considerably less in the long run.

If you get a leather saddle & end up hating it, you will be probably be able to resell it on eBay for close to what you paid for it.

+1. Forgot about the beloved Brooks B17. The Brooks certainly have their loyal fans here, mostly with the randonneur guys who ride 200, 300K and up.

I never got comfy with my old B17 Narrow, and overdosed the underside with Neatsfoot Oil in an attempt to speed up the agonizing break-in period. It stretched out alarmingly after the overnight soaking and became a hammock.

Agree a properly broken-in and cared-for Brooks could last a long time. Unlike the modern race saddles, there is no foam padding to break down.

alfeng said:
You might want to look at the BROOKS B17 (standard) ... it's a significantly wider saddle by today's standard ... heck, almost all BROOKS saddles will be wider (that's generally a good thing EXCEPT with regard to cosmetics if you want your bike to look like something a sponsored, 5'7" Pro rider is using).
As for Brooks, I always preferred the Pro--slightly stiffer, narrower, and longer. These days I prefer padded, so I recommend the San Marco Regal and Rolls, or a NOS Selle Italia Turbo (available on ebay). Being marginally large my current favorite is the San Marco Concor, but these may be too short for you.

mark444 said:

Saddles are tough. If ya like the one that you have now, get another(or more cuz they will change it). But if you want to try another, get it from a shop that will let you buy/try/exchange if your bum doesn't like it.