Save William Street Ride - Friday 30 June

Zebee Johnstone wrote:

> I dont know if CM is or is not. But if it thinks of itself as fire,
> without purpose except to make work for others in putting it out, then
> it is destructive and a nuisance, no matter what the participants
> think.

If we didn't have CM, then we would have sweet, fsck all, which is what
we had for decades while the bicycle politicians entrenched themselves.

CM reminds people who give a fsck that if you don't do it yourself, then
nothing will happen. The rest are just the whiners.

Just my 2c after nearly forty years as a regular bicycle rider.

Yes

The angst caused by CM went a long way to forcing govt to impliment Bike Plan 2010.

Once CM's infuence decreased - what happened to Bike Plan 2010? dead.

Terryc said:
Zebee Johnstone wrote:

> I dont know if CM is or is not. But if it thinks of itself as fire,
> without purpose except to make work for others in putting it out, then
> it is destructive and a nuisance, no matter what the participants
> think.

If we didn't have CM, then we would have sweet, fsck all, which is what
we had for decades while the bicycle politicians entrenched themselves.

CM reminds people who give a fsck that if you don't do it yourself, then
nothing will happen. The rest are just the whiners.

Just my 2c after nearly forty years as a regular bicycle rider.

In aus.bicycle on Sat, 01 Jul 2006 18:15:53 +1000
Terryc <[email protected]> wrote:
> Zebee Johnstone wrote:
>
>> I dont know if CM is or is not. But if it thinks of itself as fire,
>> without purpose except to make work for others in putting it out, then
>> it is destructive and a nuisance, no matter what the participants
>> think.

> If we didn't have CM, then we would have sweet, fsck all, which is what
> we had for decades while the bicycle politicians entrenched themselves.
>
> CM reminds people who give a fsck that if you don't do it yourself, then
> nothing will happen. The rest are just the whiners.
>
> Just my 2c after nearly forty years as a regular bicycle rider.

I'd be interested to hear how much effect it has had from the other
side. From the pollies and RTA and decision makers.

Zebee

Zebee Johnstone said:
I'd be interested to hear how much effect it has had from the other
side. From the pollies and RTA and decision makers.

Slightly disgenuous asking that question on generalised group such as aus.bicycle. You're on the MassBUG list, so why not start there with your enquiries? Or BNSW and BikeSydney? Or you can actually ask the *revelant authorities* for their official version of events. We await your question to be posted & the response.

Zebee Johnstone wrote:

> I'd be interested to hear how much effect it has had from the other
> side. From the pollies and RTA and decision makers.

lol, as i said, the rest are whiners.
"please sir, may I have permission to ride my bicycle on the road"
don't forget the fore lock tugging whilst you ask.

Politicians are just pigs, stick em and they squeal.
RTA are a devious lot with their grand plans who thankfully are tripped
up by the pollies occassionally.

Bicyclist have got nothing while ever they went cap in hand.
Mobs like BINSW, BIV, etc are loved by the pollies/RTA/??? while they do
the same job that the unions were originally loved for; screwing their
members.

CM was formed as a result of realising what was really going on.

Fractal wrote:
> "dewatf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
>> But in this case:
>>- its a done deal

> Labor is under some electoral threat so nothing is a done deal right now,

I would believe that if I had some alterantive to vote for in NSW.

The only good news politically in NSW is the the demos are about to
disappear.

"scotty72" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Resound Wrote:
>> Ah, nothing like taking what someone says and turning it into an
>> unreasonable absolute so you can use it as a handy strawman.Good point,
>> so don't do it to me. You have yourself constructed a very

> clear dichotomy here - so don't play all sweet and innocent :)
>
>> Zebee didn't
>> say they shouldn't be there. She said if they are there then it should
>> be
>> clear *why*.

> Let me retort with my own polarising statement.... So what you're
> saying here is that before any group of cyclists decide to go for a
> ride, we must demontrate a clear purpose - otherwise our activities
> should be deemed illegal. Kinda rules my daughters rides out because
> she just likes to ride "around".

And we're back to the daft absolute functioning as strawman. My comments did
not apply to casual groups simply riding along and you knew it. Way to
introduce small children into the argument to make it all appear more
ludicrous, by the way, but it was more than a trifle transparent. If your
daughter and her friends were riding in a group in order to protest
something then yes, my comments would apply to them.

>> A protest cannot and will not achieve its aims unless *other*
>> people know why it's being held. If there's a large group of cyclists
>> very
>> clearly saying "We need lanes too, don't renege on the agreement."
>> then they
>> have a purpose and send a useful message.

> Totally disagree. CM is there to show that uncatered for bikes can mix
> with traffic in a way which is unpleasant for all. They don't need a
> clear purpose. They have the right to just ride in the same way that is
> you just decide to drive a car around and around the block - no-one will
> try to arrest you. However, when people complain that all these bikes
> are in the way - then the BUGs look far more reasonable to deal with
> simply because CM are there. If the radicals are there, then the
> moderates become the radicals.

If you want to show that "uncatered for bikes can mix with traffic in a way
which is unpleasant for all" then you need to make that message clear.
Motorists won't see "uncatered for bikes", they'll just see "bikes". Now
bikes do indeed have "right to just ride in the same way that is you just
decide to drive a car around and around the block". Exactly the same way, in
fact. Try running red lights and corking intersections with cars and see how
long you last befoe the police wave you down for a little chat. The argument
that you're making other cycling groups seem reasonable is sophistry of the
least credible order. Someone who has no sympathy for cycling is NOT going
to go to the effort of making that comparison. They're going to do a very
basic bike=different=bad equation and use CM to justify their prejudice.
Don't even think about trying to suggest that their attitude isn't your
problem, because it's their attitude which means there's a large enough
segment of the community who don't want resources allocated to cycling
infrastructure in the first place.

>> It there's a large group of
>> cyclists which aren't putting forward any clear message to someone who
>> hasn't got any links to the cycling community and really couldn't care
>> less
>> at that point then they're not going to *get* the message. They'll
>> just see
>> a group clogging the roads to no good purpose and put a tick in the
>> "Cyclists are a nuisance" box.

> Exactly. They see that something needs to be done. Then because CM are
> a 'bunch of leftie loonies" - the BUGS step in as the voices of reason.
>

>> That doens't enhance the chances of cyclists
>> being taken seriously by the wider community.

> Yes it does - clearly... The BUGs condemn the mass and state that they
> are a silly minority. We will help you silence these people - just give
> us a little-bitty lane.

So are the BUGs meant to associate with the CM or not? If they're
associated, then the BUGs lose their credibility because they're all just
part of that rabble which deliberately clogs the street to no good purpose.
If they're not associated then how are the BUGs credibly supposed to
influence the CM which is in any case meant to be a spontaneous event. Or a
purposeful protest depending on your argument at the time, it seems.

>> By all means, protest. If I
>> was in Sydney I'd join you. But please, PLEASE make sure the casual
>> passerby
>> can EASILY work out why you're there so that the message received is
>> positive, not negative.That is the domain of the BUG.

> Think of CM as the fire - without the fire who needs the hero fireman.

You really don't see what's wrong with deliberately setting up cyclists as a
bogeyman for the general public, do you? Every time a CM goes ahead, the
media doesn't issue forth with "These cyclists need better infrastructure so
that they can share the road more effectively with us.". It's a great deal
simpler than that. The argument from them, every single time, is that
cyclists on the roads is a bad thing, look at them, get them off the bloody
roads. And Joe and Joanne Average are right there agreeing with them because
they haven't heard the reasoned arguments to the contrary and aren't in a
position where they'd be receptive to them in the first place. All this sort
of deliberate provocation does is ramp up the antagonism between cyclists
and motorists and promote the us vs. them culture which we should be doing
everything in our power to stamp out. The cars aren't going away (for quite
some considerable time at least), and neither are we. Road usage should be a
co-operative venture, not a combative or competitive one.

In aus.bicycle on Sun, 2 Jul 2006 13:09:33 +1000
Resound <[email protected]> wrote:
> and motorists and promote the us vs. them culture which we should be doing
> everything in our power to stamp out. The cars aren't going away (for quite
> some considerable time at least), and neither are we. Road usage should be a
> co-operative venture, not a combative or competitive one.

And it needs to be co-operative at all levels.

The easiest level is local council, and BUGs do well at that. They
get in there and attend meetings and talk to people. I suspect most
of the good stuff happening at local level is due to BUGs, not CM.

Higher level is harder. It needs more clout, more numbers. That's
where higher level lobby groups should be functioning and that's so
damn dependent on the group itself.

If the high level group - such as BNSW - is working in committees and
planning groups then they need to get the word out to their members.
Problem with that of course is that it is so. damn. slow. It takes
months and months to get anything at all out of government, and if
they decide something else is more important then you just have to
suck it up unless you have some way to put decent pressure on.

For example, the issue of labels for motorcycle exhausts (not noise,
that wasn't even involved, it was all about a sticker...) took about 2
years of lobbying and hard work to resolve. That included convincing
an independent member of parliament and a couple of members of
government that there was something wrong, having them ask questions
in the House, waiting for the 8 weeks or so the govt gets to answer
such things, have the answer being "the EPA is looking into it", more
lobbying, more questions, more pressure at several levels. Now most
people who don't see the hard work and don't know about the glacial
pace think "lobby groups not doing anything".

If a lobby group doesn't keep members informed, including "nothing
happening yet, still in committee", then the members will think they
are doing nothing.

I have no idea what, if anything, BNSW is doing at high level. Which
is a big failure on BNSWs part if they think they are the peak cycling
body in NSW.

As a member, I suppose I should ask them if they think lobbying is
part of their job, if it is then what are they currently doing, and
what mechanisms are in place to regularly inform members.

Be interesting to see the answer.

Zebee

On Sat, 01 Jul 2006 07:45:23 GMT, Fractal wrote:

> Yes but the main thing is access from the Cross.

I would argue the main thing is the only road that connects that entire
region of the Eastern Suburbs to the CBD. And its an argument that is going
to win politically, even amongst Kings Cross residents.

> It would be a chance to get some wider benefits than
> just William St, which is what should have happened when the tunnel project
> and asociated cycle facilities and surface road works were first designed.

The tunnel project shouldn't have happened in this form at all is the
problem. Even when the tunnel was free it didn't carry half the drivers
needed to make the plan workable.

Removing 30% of William Stfor a few cyclists in King Cross was not ever
going to work. And helping cyclists wasn't even the main aim, that was a
stalking horse for trying to screw over Eastern Suburbs' drivers. I thought
that the Government would get away with that (they are liberal voters) but
I was wrong. It became a wider issue about disatifaction with the transport
management and media management of the Government which is something Carr
is still in total denial about.

dewatf.