Scary one

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Just Zis Guy, Jun 10, 2003.

  1. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    Riding into work yesterday I passed a car transporter carrying an old scrap car. As he went under a
    tree the roof rack was swept off the top of the car and landed on the back of the bike, fortunately
    causing no damage other than scaring the sh*t out of me.

    I stopped at the garage down the road where I guessed the car had come from, and the bloke said "ah,
    he said he didn't reckon that would stay on."

    Hmmm. Time for a trip to the cop shop?

    --
    Guy
    ===

  2. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    > Riding into work yesterday I passed a car transporter carrying an old
    scrap
    > car. As he went under a tree the roof rack was swept off the top of the
    car
    > and landed on the back of the bike, fortunately causing no damage other
    than
    > scaring the sh*t out of me.
    >
    > I stopped at the garage down the road where I guessed the car had come
    from,
    > and the bloke said "ah, he said he didn't reckon that would stay on."
    >
    > Hmmm. Time for a trip to the cop shop?

    I reckon so. If it had hit you what would have been the damage?

  3. In message <[email protected]>, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
    <[email protected]> writes
    >Riding into work yesterday I passed a car transporter carrying an old scrap car. As he went under a
    >tree the roof rack was swept off the top of the car and landed on the back of the bike, fortunately
    >causing no damage other than scaring the sh*t out of me.
    >
    >I stopped at the garage down the road where I guessed the car had come from, and the bloke said
    >"ah, he said he didn't reckon that would stay on."
    >
    >Hmmm. Time for a trip to the cop shop?

    Why not first write a letter of complaint to the car transporter company?
    --
    Michael MacClancy

  4. >Hmmm. Time for a trip to the cop shop?

    I think so.

    I *loathe* cycling behind or driving behind skip lorries with loaded skips on them. Invariably the
    skip is well overloaded, with all sorts of potential missiles hangin off the top & wobbling around
    precariously because the load is uncovered.

    Glad you weren't hurt.

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~
    h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$**o$l.c$$*o$*m*$ by getting rid of the
    overdependence on money and fame
    ~~~~~~~~~~

  5. John B

    John B Guest

    Michael MacClancy wrote:

    > In message <[email protected]>, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
    > <[email protected]> writes
    > >Riding into work yesterday I passed a car transporter carrying an old scrap car. As he went under
    > >a tree the roof rack was swept off the top of the car and landed on the back of the bike,
    > >fortunately causing no damage other than scaring the sh*t out of me.
    > >
    > >I stopped at the garage down the road where I guessed the car had come from, and the bloke said
    > >"ah, he said he didn't reckon that would stay on."
    > >
    > >Hmmm. Time for a trip to the cop shop?
    > >

    > Why not first write a letter of complaint to the car transporter company?

    By the time they do anything it will be too late to report it to the police. I'd firstly leave it to
    the cops to deal with.

    It sounds as if there was an admission concern even before the vehicle set off, so no excuses. Will
    the 'garage bloke' make a staement tho', or clam up. The driver and company should have the book
    thrown at them.

    John B

  6. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    "Michael MacClancy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > >Riding into work yesterday I passed a car transporter carrying an old
    scrap
    > >car. As he went under a tree the roof rack was swept off the top of the
    car

    > Why not first write a letter of complaint to the car transporter company?

    It looks like a one-man band - shabby old transporter.

    --
    Guy
    ===

  7. Not Me

    Not Me Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? deftly scribbled:

    > Riding into work yesterday I passed a car transporter carrying an old scrap car. As he went under
    > a tree the roof rack was swept off the top of the car and landed on the back of the bike,
    > fortunately causing no damage other than scaring the sh*t out of me.
    >
    > I stopped at the garage down the road where I guessed the car had come from, and the bloke said
    > "ah, he said he didn't reckon that would stay on."
    >
    > Hmmm. Time for a trip to the cop shop?

    Do you really need to ask ?

    ;)

    Morons like this shouldn't be allowed to work in this manner at all. They not only endanger cyclists
    but also Everyone else on the road. I'd shop him as quickly as I could, no question about it .. ;)

    --
    Digweed

  8. Dave

    Dave Guest

    > Riding into work yesterday I passed a car transporter carrying an old
    scrap
    > car. As he went under a tree the roof rack was swept off the top of the
    car
    > and landed on the back of the bike, fortunately causing no damage other
    than
    > scaring the sh*t out of me.
    >
    > I stopped at the garage down the road where I guessed the car had come
    from,
    > and the bloke said "ah, he said he didn't reckon that would stay on."
    >
    > Hmmm. Time for a trip to the cop shop?
    >
    > --
    > Guy
    > ===

    Free bike rack Guy. I'd keep shtum <s?>...they might want it back, finders, keepers 'n'all that ;-)

  9. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    > Hmmm. Time for a trip to the cop shop?

    Serpently. Even if they don't act on this occasion they may keep an eye out for the transporter and
    in fact jump at the chance to pull it in the future. Insecure load is an offence, (sorry if I'm
    giving you egg sucking advice) and the thing's most probably a death trap.

    PS. My daughter's just passed her driving theory test, the lead up to this had me referring to the
    HC <1> and it made me realise just how many seemingly trivial <2> transgressions my fellow
    motorists make, then they have the audacity to bleat every time a cyclist transgresses!!

    <1> Yes, I know I should try to keep up to date with it as a matter of routine ;-)
    <2> I'm already quite aware of the less trivial transgressions :-(

    Pete

  10. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 17:35:35 +0000 (UTC), "Peter B" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >PS. My daughter's just passed her driving theory test, the lead up to this had me referring to the
    > HC <1> and it made me realise just how many seemingly trivial <2> transgressions my fellow
    > motorists make, then they have the audacity to bleat every time a cyclist transgresses!!

    It's not like it's hard to get hold of a copy, after all. You don't even need to pay:
    http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk does the business.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  11. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

  12. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys at the keyboard
    of [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:

    > I *loathe* cycling behind or driving behind skip lorries with loaded skips on them.

    Heh! You want to try around here. You get behind a lorry transporting live animals packed like
    sardines, and it's raw disease that slops out.

    --
    Axis of Evil: Whose economy needs ever more wars? Arms Exports $bn: USA 14.2, UK 5.1, vs France 1.5,
    Germany 0.8 (The Economist, July 2002)

  13. >Heh! You want to try around here. You get behind a lorry transporting live animals packed like
    >sardines, and it's raw disease that slops out.

    In Norfolk, more often than not, it's HGVs transporting chickens or turkeys and worst of all, are
    the HGVs filled with the floor sweepings from the poultry sheds. Avian "waste", wings ripped off,
    heads... I kid you not. It is not a pretty sight or a one of pleasant odour :-(

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~
    h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$**o$l.c$$*o$*m*$ by getting rid of the
    overdependence on money and fame
    ~~~~~~~~~~

  14. John'S Cat

    John'S Cat Guest

    On 11 Jun 2003 06:51:52 GMT, [email protected] (wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX) wrote:

    >In Norfolk, more often than not, it's HGVs transporting chickens or turkeys and worst of all, are
    >the HGVs filled with the floor sweepings from the poultry sheds. Avian "waste", wings ripped off,
    >heads... I kid you not. It is not a pretty sight or a one of pleasant odour :-(

    Hmm. Bootiful.

  15. Carol Hague

    Carol Hague Guest

    wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I *loathe* cycling behind or driving behind skip lorries with loaded skips on them. Invariably the
    > skip is well overloaded, with all sorts of potential missiles hangin off the top & wobbling around
    > precariously because the load is uncovered.

    Report them to the council and/or the police- all skips *must* be netted in transit, it's a legal
    requirement (I used to work for a waste disposal company). At the very least the company operating
    the skip should get its backside kicked.

    --
    Carol Hague "Motorized vehicles are ugly and dirty and they bring out the worst in people. "
    - Bill Bryson, _Notes from a Small Island_

  16. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On 11 Jun 2003 06:51:52 GMT, [email protected] (wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX) wrote:

    >In Norfolk, more often than not, it's HGVs transporting chickens or turkeys and worst of all, are
    >the HGVs filled with the floor sweepings from the poultry sheds. Avian "waste", wings ripped off,
    >heads... I kid you not. It is not a pretty sight or a one of pleasant odour :-(

    What about them there escaping rheas? Either "Sorry, I have't a clue" or "The news quiz" may help
    you here, Helen - I cannot recall which prog is the relevant one.

    James