Schwinn Fastback Limited 2001 frame - buying advise

ROLO

Apr 19, 2004
I want to buy a new frame for road racing, as my current one appears to be too large. I have an option to buy a Schwinn Fastback Limited 2001 frame for 150 euro. Or for about 270 euro including some (don't know which) carbon fork.
I am wondering whether this is a good option. I figured out that, with dura-ace, this bike was top-of-the-line in 2001. But is this frame still a good choice the days? Has anyone some ideas?

I ride a Schwinn Fastback Comp. It is a really really really light bike. However, it flexes like mad, and loves to eat road vibration. Having said that, I use it to race because of the weight... I am not sure whether it is the same frame, but basically the frames were changed because of the proprietory headset. They are no longer produced and the bearings don't last very long because the seals are ****. I have two sets, so waiting for the first one to die and I will replace it and sell the frame. It originally came with a Reynolds Ouzo Pro fork.

Regards,
Sean

I found that the Fastback Comp is 2 types below the Limited. But I don't know what implications this has on the frame quality.

BTW: Roadbikereview.com has some very positive reviews of Schwinn fastbacks (2001). But OK, everyone over there seems to be positive about ALL Schwinn bikes...

Rolo is one of my favourite djs/ producer. Anyways, all the Schwinn frames in the same year are the same except for groupsets, wheels and paint colour.

They love everything they think is American on RBR....

Ciao,
Sean

Originally posted by buffedupboy
Anyways, all the Schwinn frames in the same year are the same except for groupsets, wheels and paint colour.

Not true, at least in the states. The US-made Factory and Limited featured the N'Lightened platinum tubing, whereas the Pro and Comp were produced overseas and featured the gold level tubing. Frame weights were 2.5 lbs. for the Factory and Limited, 2.75 lbs for the Pro and Comp.
While I know there was some difference in the European models, I do not profess to know what those differences were.

Are you talking about the 2001 model? Mine is a fastback comp and it has the N'litened tubing. It is red in colour.

Regards,
Sean

I found on roadbike review the following:
Fastback Pro: N'Litened™ Gold Label Super Butted frame
So, Waldo, I guess you are right: Gold for less expensive ones, Platinum for top.
It would also seem strange to me if they would sell the same frame with both 105 and Dura-Ace.

PS Some pictures: http://www.velomax.com/site/News/SchwinnAdEnlg.htm (Including Sean's red one)