integrated headset for Schwinn Fastback

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Rich Conroy, Nov 1, 2003.

  1. Rich Conroy

    Rich Conroy Guest

    I just purchased a Schwinn Fastback Pro frame only, probably 2001 model. I'm pretty sure this uses
    an integrated headset system, and I'm unfamiliar with them. I do know there are different standards.

    So what model of integrated headset will work with this frame, and do I need to purchase a fork made
    for integrated headsets, or will any 1
    1/8 threadless headset work?

    thanks rc

    Tags:

  2. Richard Chan

    Richard Chan Guest

    [email protected] (Rich Conroy) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I just purchased a Schwinn Fastback Pro frame only, probably 2001 model. I'm pretty sure this uses
    > an integrated headset system, and I'm unfamiliar with them. I do know there are different
    > standards.
    >
    > So what model of integrated headset will work with this frame, and do I need to purchase a fork
    > made for integrated headsets, or will any 1
    > 1/8 threadless headset work?>

    I believe they use Cane Creek (integrated) headsets. Commonly available and inexpensive. You may
    have 1 1/8 or even 1"; it is obvious to some of us just by looking. Go to a bike shop that can do
    this for you unless you are experienced, then it can be a simple matter (of fitting a fork/headset).
    Get any fork with 4.3 to 4.5 cm rake if you frame is a SM or MED. Be advised that the whole job will
    cost more than the purchase price of the frame unless you buy the fork used. My opinion is your
    frame is nothing special.