Schwinn Peloton or Motobecane Immortal

david462

Apr 3, 2006
i have roughly $1300 to spend. i work for dicks sports as a bike tech and can get schwinn, gt, mongoose, and ironhorse at dealer cost.

i narrowed it down to the schwinn peloton pro or the motobecane immortal pro. links below

http://www.schwinnbikes.com/products/bikes_detail.php?id=914

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/immortalpro_08.htm

i havnt found out what i will have to pay for the schwinn yet, but i think it will be $100-200 less than the cane. i also can return my arione seat i bought if i go with the schwinn for another $100 back.

ive read the good and bad about motobecanes. i want to see what others might have to say about which bike to choose.

thanks

david462 said:
i have roughly $1300 to spend. i work for dicks sports as a bike tech and can get schwinn, gt, mongoose, and ironhorse at dealer cost.

i narrowed it down to the schwinn peloton pro or the motobecane immortal pro. links below

i havnt found out what i will have to pay for the schwinn yet, but i think it will be $100-200 less than the cane. i also can return my arione seat i bought if i go with the schwinn for another $100 back.

ive read the good and bad about motobecanes. i want to see what others might have to say about which bike to choose.

thanks

The one that fits the best.........

Test ride them if you can and base your decision on that. If this is not possible, I would go with the Schwinn. They are both fine bicycles but I think the Schwinn is a better bike for the money. Motobecane is a nice bike but yellow?

the motobecane also comes in black. i would never ride a yellow bike...

i cannot test ride either bike. ive read what everyone has said about motobecane and that frame and the schwinn peloton had a review in bicycling magazine for the 07 model and got a good review...

david462 said:

thanks

I just saw the Peloton at Performance bikes...I did not like it (just aesthetically speaking, IMHO) it looked cheap; I don't know, the frame did not look like a carbon frame. I actually liked the Scattante carbon frame better (similar components). I have not seen the Moto but I am looking into it a lot (the immortal force). Just photos, lots of photos. I think the moto Immortal frame is nicer looking, nice flowing lines. I test rode (very short ride in the parking lot) the Scattante, also a Fuji (the moto retailer said it's similar to the Fuji). It was very hard to tell any difference (but it as very cold and dark plus I did not have a lot of time) so I think its a matter of what you want and the "fit". The Fuji has an almost horizontal top tube, the Scattante has a slightly sloping top tube (almost like the Peloton). Fit is the most important thing but you also you have to LIKE the bike...Another one to look at is the GT carbon...I don't know if this is your first road bike... but even if you can't test ride it I sure would feel better if at least I could look at it in person... Pragmatically speaking, keep in mind that you can probably get better warranty work on the Peloton or GT since you work there...
Good luck

rparedes said:
I just saw the Peloton at Performance bikes...I did not like it (just aesthetically speaking, IMHO) it looked cheap; I don't know, the frame did not look like a carbon frame. I actually liked the Scattante carbon frame better (similar components). I have not seen the Moto but I am looking into it a lot (the immortal force). Just photos, lots of photos. I think the moto Immortal frame is nicer looking, nice flowing lines. I test rode (very short ride in the parking lot) the Scattante, also a Fuji (the moto retailer said it's similar to the Fuji). It was very hard to tell any difference (but it as very cold and dark plus I did not have a lot of time) so I think its a matter of what you want and the "fit". The Fuji has an almost horizontal top tube, the Scattante has a slightly sloping top tube (almost like the Peloton). Fit is the most important thing but you also you have to LIKE the bike...Another one to look at is the GT carbon...I don't know if this is your first road bike... but even if you can't test ride it I sure would feel better if at least I could look at it in person... Pragmatically speaking, keep in mind that you can probably get better warranty work on the Peloton or GT since you work there...
Good luck

wow, awesome post...

i agree with the appearance of the peloton. that was actually my main reason i almost completetly forgot about that as a choice since i first saw the 08 colors when they first came out.

this would be my second road bike. ive been riding a schwinn prologue from the 80s for almost 2 years (got it from girlfriends dad for free).

i also agree how the motos frame looks a lot more like a carbon frame.

i really cant test ride any of these bikes. im paying half the cost so its worth it to me (im in college). i also am riding an older bike with downtube shifters, i did at least convert it to a 10 speed in the back.

i may be going with the motobecane for these reasons. i also have been able to read 10+ user reviews of this bike compared to the 1 review on the peloton (also the other one in bicycling magazine, but wasnt as helpful)

also, where have you been looking at lots of pictures of the immortals? i havnt had much luck but maybe my methods arnt the same. i just type in google search and the only thing that comes up is from bikesdirect.

david462 said:
wow, awesome post...
also, where have you been looking at lots of pictures of the immortals? i havnt had much luck but maybe my methods arnt the same. i just type in google search and the only thing that comes up is from bikesdirect.

Road bike review forum; there is a manufacturer forum for Motobecane. There are lot's of photos there.