Sea Otter : Stage 1 Cancelled-Unsafe Course !

"OMC" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Riders protesting unsafe road course forces stage 1 cancellation.
>
> http://www.velonews.com/race/dom/articles/3721.0.html
>
> Anyone familar with this area ? Several accounts of riders previewing course yesterday and voicing
> serious concerns. How do you get an UCI approved race and nobody verify the safety of the course ?
>
> OMC

Not cancelled, shortened from 6 laps / 60 miles to 4 laps / 40 miles. Heading into the finish of the
men's race right now...

-T

I just got back from the race. Riders really didn't race the 4 laps...it was more of an exhibition,
or parade. My understanding was that after they rolled through the finish line, each team was going
to select one rider to duke it out in an artificial sprint finish that would begin a mile or two in
front of the finish line.

The course really was a bit out of control. The police entourage was way too far out in front of the
pack, and cars were on the course as little as 15 seconds before the pack passed by. The bottom line
is that most of the course rolls through residential neighborhoods, so you really need a huge
volunteer force to control it properly. It's a shame really...the crowd support was great. There are
a number of other great potential courses in the area. While you don't usually get a second chance
after a screw up like this, those of us in the area can only hope.

In article <[email protected]>, Zac Nesper <[email protected]> wrote:

> I just got back from the race. Riders really didn't race the 4 laps...it was more of an
> exhibition, or parade. My understanding was that after they rolled through the finish line, each
> team was going to select one rider to duke it out in an artificial sprint finish that would begin
> a mile or two in front of the finish line.
>
> The course really was a bit out of control. The police entourage was way too far out in front of
> the pack, and cars were on the course as little as 15 seconds before the pack passed by. The
> bottom line is that most of the course rolls through residential neighborhoods, so you really need
> a huge volunteer force to control it properly. It's a shame really...the crowd support was great.
> There are a number of other great potential courses in the area. While you don't usually get a
> second chance after a screw up like this, those of us in the area can only hope.

For a non-race they were sure going fast enough. it was a bit scary being in a follow car trying to
keep up with the pack. They did drop about 10-15 riders even at the non-race pace.

Actually at the finish one rider from each team formed a breakaway group as the field rolled towards
the finishline. This breakaway group sprinted between themselves for the "win".

Casey