Selle SMP Evolution stitching issues

seanbasaman

Mar 14, 2010
I've got a Selle SMP Evolution saddle I got last year that I love. The problem is that the logo stitching keeps tearing holes in bike shorts. I just bought a pair of Pearl Izumi Elites at a cost of $130 and after less than a hundred miles they've got a hole. Unacceptable.

I know others have experienced this issue with the stitching on the Selle saddles. Does anyone have a solution that's worked? I would be more than willing just remove the stitching entirely but I fear it may make the situation worse, not better. Has anyone else out there removed the stitching and what were the results? Any ideas are appreciated as I can't afford to keep going through shorts this quick.

Thanks!
sean.

does your saddle have more stitching than the standard one? I've never hard a problem with selle saddles, my current one is basically covered in stitching.

Yup, same problem.

Just tried on a new 2011 Stratos. Fits me, but ruined my brand new Rapha shorts in less than 60 miles. They need to get rid of the stitching.

I had this issue too. My LBS loaned me an Evolution to try out. Even on 1 hour rides I could not work out why my butt felt slightly itchy afterwards, and had some mild skin irritation. Then when worked out it was the stitching for the red circle that surround the SMP logo on the side of the saddle. It was rubbing on me and even through chamois was causing irritation. I'm sure it would chew through Lyrca too. Lucky I was using my old knicks which are so used that the Lyrca is polished to a mirror like finish ! Maybe newer knicks with a thicker chamois would stop the skin irritation, but then you'd likely face the issue of the lycra being chewed up.

Pity.... it was a damn comfy saddle in other respects. The cutout really works.