serious cramping/muscle cramp poblems

nurul

Jan 4, 2004
Really at the end of my tether in terms of calf and thigh cramping on long cyclo-sportives in Europe.
This is my background. Early 30s. 183cm. 64-69kgs. Climb well. As a 15yr was able to pull of 10mile TT events at 41kph despite weighing in at 9 stone.
Lots of exeprience and live a few hours away from the pyrenees so my locals hills are 8-20km long.
Positon on the bike is perfect. Gearing is 53-39 on a 13-29. Have used 12-25 for last 5yrs. Normally do about 2000km of base in Nov/Dec before starting big rng work and then 2000km more before hill work. My cadence is very high and can easily sit at over 10bpm. Can put in attacks at 60kp if necesary and can power along at short periods on dead flats at 45-55kph. Able to put in very sharp changes in pace on long climbs and recover.
OK that is my backgroud. I would say that in the UK I would maybe reach cat 2 status. In Spain 20% below and amateur on a climb.
This is the problem. On ciclo-sportive events, which everyone knows is like a hidden, flat out race, I can do the first two climbs at over 90% of max HR and stay with the fastests guys, except if a big pro-am outfit like Kaiku, Melchior Mauri et al is setting the pace but by the 3rd climb I go up at one speed and am wasted for the rest of the ride. Normally distances are 140-200km for the long sportives and about 100km for the short ones.
I have cramped at the following distances: 120km/140km, 140/205km, 95/175km. As you can see they occur shortly into the ride. I first suffer calf cramps and then later into the ride the top of my thighs just spasm, normally both at the same time or one at a time. I manage to stretch it out but obviously it is followed by loss of power output.
Last week on thr 175km ciclosportif, I decided to start at the rear of the field of 2000 riders and cruise at 40kph instead of battering it at 50-55kph. I did the first climb almost 28beats below max, stopping for at least 30 secs at the feed stops to down electrolyte, banana and orange slice. Descent was made sipping w-cup borne sports drink and plain water. Next ascent similar rhythm.
By the turnoff where the 95km riders fnish and the 175km riders make the turn for the next climb (7km at av 10%) I felt I was ok. Suddenly my left calf went and so had to stretch it out. Went up the beat of a climb in the 29,26,23 (when I normally climb soemthing like this only in the 25). Got up no probs at reduced speed but on the last 20km 4% climb I cramped a number of times. So whether I go hard or not I simply cramp.
What are the factors:
1) Lack of training
2) incorrect electrolyte drink intake
3) too much water intake
4) not enough mg,sd,pt in diet
5) lack of stretching
6) lack of warm up
7) or simply a propensity to cramps
But surelt these factors are irrelavant if cramp occurs whether I go flat out with the big boys or not.
In the Spanish Quebrantahuseso I was on for a time og 6:45 with my group. We did the somport easy, the marie blanc at steady state and on the flat straight before the somport (28km) both of my calves twanged.
WHAT ON EARTH IS GOING ON WITH MY CYCLING?? HELP!!!!!!

nurul said:
Really at the end of my tether in terms of calf and thigh cramping on long cyclo-sportives in Europe.
This is my background. Early 30s. 183cm. 64-69kgs. Climb well. As a 15yr was able to pull of 10mile TT events at 41kph despite weighing in at 9 stone.
Lots of exeprience and live a few hours away from the pyrenees so my locals hills are 8-20km long.
Positon on the bike is perfect. Gearing is 53-39 on a 13-29. Have used 12-25 for last 5yrs. Normally do about 2000km of base in Nov/Dec before starting big rng work and then 2000km more before hill work. My cadence is very high and can easily sit at over 10bpm. Can put in attacks at 60kp if necesary and can power along at short periods on dead flats at 45-55kph. Able to put in very sharp changes in pace on long climbs and recover.
OK that is my backgroud. I would say that in the UK I would maybe reach cat 2 status. In Spain 20% below and amateur on a climb.
This is the problem. On ciclo-sportive events, which everyone knows is like a hidden, flat out race, I can do the first two climbs at over 90% of max HR and stay with the fastests guys, except if a big pro-am outfit like Kaiku, Melchior Mauri et al is setting the pace but by the 3rd climb I go up at one speed and am wasted for the rest of the ride. Normally distances are 140-200km for the long sportives and about 100km for the short ones.
I have cramped at the following distances: 120km/140km, 140/205km, 95/175km. As you can see they occur shortly into the ride. I first suffer calf cramps and then later into the ride the top of my thighs just spasm, normally both at the same time or one at a time. I manage to stretch it out but obviously it is followed by loss of power output.
Last week on thr 175km ciclosportif, I decided to start at the rear of the field of 2000 riders and cruise at 40kph instead of battering it at 50-55kph. I did the first climb almost 28beats below max, stopping for at least 30 secs at the feed stops to down electrolyte, banana and orange slice. Descent was made sipping w-cup borne sports drink and plain water. Next ascent similar rhythm.
By the turnoff where the 95km riders fnish and the 175km riders make the turn for the next climb (7km at av 10%) I felt I was ok. Suddenly my left calf went and so had to stretch it out. Went up the beat of a climb in the 29,26,23 (when I normally climb soemthing like this only in the 25). Got up no probs at reduced speed but on the last 20km 4% climb I cramped a number of times. So whether I go hard or not I simply cramp.
What are the factors:
1) Lack of training
2) incorrect electrolyte drink intake
3) too much water intake
4) not enough mg,sd,pt in diet
5) lack of stretching
6) lack of warm up
7) or simply a propensity to cramps
But surelt these factors are irrelavant if cramp occurs whether I go flat out with the big boys or not.
In the Spanish Quebrantahuseso I was on for a time og 6:45 with my group. We did the somport easy, the marie blanc at steady state and on the flat straight before the somport (28km) both of my calves twanged.
WHAT ON EARTH IS GOING ON WITH MY CYCLING?? HELP!!!!!!
I had a similar problem with my right calf. Tried everything under the sun and finally found a physical therapist that was a world class marathoner. One of the joint just below my knee was out of place. I believe it was at the top of my fibula. He put in back in place, put me through some extremely painful massage and I've never had the problem again.

Don't know if this is your problem as well, but it is certainly worth investigating.

factory61 said:
I had a similar problem with my right calf. Tried everything under the sun and finally found a physical therapist that was a world class marathoner. One of the joint just below my knee was out of place. I believe it was at the top of my fibula. He put in back in place, put me through some extremely painful massage and I've never had the problem again.

Don't know if this is your problem as well, but it is certainly worth investigating.

Many many thanks for that. I will add it to of the the factors if all else fails. I am trying to eat vegetables everyday, for eample organic brocolli, keep topped up on decent electroylte, whether training or not, and really until I do loads more endurace riding (having only done a total of 3000km total training this year) I cannot elmintate that factor. Maybe I need to get out and do 2 5 hr sessions on the bike a week. That's a lot of hours though. THe great thing is that this Sunday the Volta a Catalunya finishes at the top of Tibidabo. Will be wonderful. It's an 8km climb. Off to do some reps and sets around Montjuic to expose my legs to the first muscle builsding specific activity. ANother way of reducing cramp when doing hard climbs. The next ciclo sportive is Saturday with 150km and about 30km of climbing...

I have not cramped all year. Near the end of a race cramps would come on. The cure for me was hard intervals L4 5 6. Also, 3 hours steady at 90% FTP. Basically, harder smarter focused training.

Hi all
After about ten miles I get serious cramping on the outside of both feet. Tried new shoes, changed cleat position , but no difference. Any ideas what i do next.

L Tin said:
Hi all
After about ten miles I get serious cramping on the outside of both feet. Tried new shoes, changed cleat position , but no difference. Any ideas what i do next.
You may have feet that are canted outwards, putting excessive pressure on the outside of your feet. Have you looked at LeWedge cleat shims or Specialized Body Geometry shoes/insoles?

www.crampnomore.com

I used to cramp like crazy despite being hydrated. This stuff tastes horrible but works. Coupon code TUCSON for 1/2 off.

I am not in anyway affiliated with the company, just a satisfied customer