Severe saddle pain

Ayush Sehgal

Sep 24, 2018
Hi there,

I'm new here and really want some good advice. I'm a beginner cyclist as I've started again after maybe 12 years. I bought the B-Twin Riverside 120 hybrid bike which I thought is a decent one for city and exercising. I spent 13,000 INR on it and I really really want to love cycling and not give up!

My bums/buttock has been paining from day 1 and have been riding for about a week now, everyday.Though the pain has got slightly better and now I'm able to ride for only 30 mins non stop. After that I need to take a break.

I am slightly overweight I think. 6 feet tall and 85 KGs. Could this be a reason for the pain?

I've checked my saddle height and at the 6 o clock pedal position my right knee is slightly bent. Should it be completely straight?

I've even installed a B-Twin ergofit memory foam saddle cover but to no avail.

I'm also using a B-Twin padded cycling short.

Do I just need to ride more and wait and the pain will reduce?

Will it help if I change my saddle? Will buying a wide saddle like this help? What about gel saddles?

Also - does anyone here have a similar experience with riverside 120?

Thanks for the help!

First off your weight is fine and not causing any issues.

Second, you don't want your leg straight so where it's out now is close to right, how close I can't determine without being there and seeing you ride it, but a rule of thumb is

Third, the saddle is probably the culprit, but what is causing the saddle to pain you? is the saddle or is it the position of the saddle?

Fourth, it may be the handlebar position.

Always try the cheapest thing first so instead of jumping ship that could still be floating just fine and getting a new saddle first try to adjust the saddle differently. Start out by putting a bubble level on your saddle length wise and adjust the saddle so that the bubble is centered, then ride and see what happens. Never assume you need a wider saddle or a narrower one, you might need those but don't assume because if you go out and just buy it and it doesn't work you have a saddle you can't use since most LBS's won't take them back after they're used, but check with your LBS to see if you can take a saddle back.

If no improvement then read these sites and try to do a self fitting before seeing a pro fitter:

https://cyclingtips.com/2010/04/science-of-bike-fitting/

https://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/article/how-to-get-your-seat-height-right-14608/

https://blog.bikefit.com/how-to-fit-a-road-bicycle/

Now if after you read those sites and tried doing ALL those adjustments and you still have a lot pain then you might want to consider a new saddle. Read how to select a saddle, but most LBS's will know how to measure your sit bones and find the right width of saddle for you.

A pro fitting, depending on where you live, are mostly level 1 fittings which someone trained some high school or junior college person in about hour or two and classify them as pro fitter...surprise they're not! All they really are is parts sales people who will try to sell you a bunch of parts you probably don't need but it does provide a good profit to the LBS! So if you live in a larger city get referrals from people you know who they use for fittings, but I would seriously try it yourself and just work at it, it may take a month to dial yourself in but it's a lot cheaper than a pro fitter and depending on the fitter could be just as good!

Let me repeat myself on one important thing, when it comes to anything bikes (or cars) always do the cheapest thing first, never assume that the most expensive thing is what needs to be done, you start out with the cheapest, which in your case will be free by following the internet sites I gave you, then go to the next cheapest, to the next, etc.

By the way I would take the saddle cover off.

...My bums/buttock has been paining from day 1 and have been riding for about a week now, everyday.Though the pain has got slightly better and now I'm able to ride for only 30 mins non stop. After that I need to take a break....

Will it help if I change my saddle? Will buying a wide saddle like this help? What about gel saddles?
!
I got back into riding four years ago and found the same thing, the pain in the bum. I tried a gel saddle and it didn't help. I now use a memory foam saddle on each of my bikes - a hybrid and a fat bike - and they work for me, but that doesn't mean it will work for you if you are expecting immediate comfort.

I was just now looking at a picture of your bike. It appears to have a narrow saddle. That may not be helpful to someone new to riding.

Like anything else we are not used to doing, it takes time to get our butts used to sitting on a saddle. I even bought a Brooks saddle after several people said how comfortable they are. They're expensive (being hand-made), and they have to be broken in, which takes about 500 miles (805 km). It's like sitting on a brick so I could only do very short runs, which took me a long time to break it in. And when it was broken in, it still felt like a brick, so I sold it. I tried a wide saddle 10" (25cm) and it still hurt. And you might regret the wide saddle, later.

Bike mechanics will tell you to make sure the saddle is level from the back to the nose. That's a good starting point but it's not carved in stone. Women tend to like the nose pointed up, slightly, and men sometimes prefer the nose slightly down. It really depends on your riding position. With drop bars you're going to be leaning forward, and won't have so much of your weight on your butt muscles. An upright position will have more of your weight on your butt muscles.

I fitted two-bolt seat posts to each of my bikes. They offer very find adjustment, better than the single nuts on the sides of the mounting clamp. An eighth of an inch (3mm) of the nose up or down can make a difference. It's a matter of trial and error.

I think any kind of saddle is going to be a bit painful until your butt gets used to riding. Don't give up, because a little perseverance will bring its own reward with the pleasure you'll get from your rides.

Last edited:
I had a weird thought blow into my brain, if none of the stuff I mentioned works, and severe pain is odd for most people riding a bike, so the weird thought is: do you by chance have hemorrhoids? Or you could be experiencing piriformis syndrome, google that syndrome and see if it fits. Any of this stuff I mentioned would mean a visit to the doctor.

Hi there,

I'm new here and really want some good advice. I'm a beginner cyclist as I've started again after maybe 12 years. I bought the B-Twin Riverside 120 hybrid bike which I thought is a decent one for city and exercising. I spent 13,000 INR on it and I really really want to love cycling and not give up!

My bums/buttock has been paining from day 1 and have been riding for about a week now, everyday.Though the pain has got slightly better and now I'm able to ride for only 30 mins non stop. After that I need to take a break.

I am slightly overweight I think. 6 feet tall and 85 KGs. Could this be a reason for the pain?

I've checked my saddle height and at the 6 o clock pedal position my right knee is slightly bent. Should it be completely straight?

Thanks for the help!
This is a month from when you posted so you probably have had tons of advice by now. But let me cover a few bases:

It is NORMAL for you to have a very sore butt when you start. But not what I would call "severe pain". This is usually from a saddle that doesn't fit you properly.

There are two things most important: the front of the saddle should not rub against the inside of your thighs when you are pedaling and the saddle MUST be wide enough in the back for your "sit bones" to rest on without any other part of the saddle lifting any other part of your rear end. For instance - very soft saddles can be wide enough or narrow enough so that your sit bones are supported but the foam can squeeze up between your buttocks and put pressure on the inside pressuring the crack apart and distorting your rear end.

85 Kg is a little on the light side for your weight to be giving you any trouble so that should pose no problems.

EVERYONE has a unique butt and sitting position so you might have to go through many saddles to find on that fits you. But one that generally works for most people is a Prologo Scratch Pro. These are not particularly light saddles so a lot of people replace them on light bikes so you can general find them on Ebay for pretty cheap.

Hi there,

Thanks for the help!
This is a month from when you posted so you probably have had tons of advice by now. But let me cover a few bases:

It is NORMAL for you to have a very sore butt when you start. But not what I would call "severe pain". This is usually from a saddle that doesn't fit you properly.

There are two things most important: the front of the saddle should not rub against the inside of your thighs when you are pedaling and the saddle MUST be wide enough in the back for your "sit bones" to rest on without any other part of the saddle lifting any other part of your rear end. For instance - very soft saddles can be wide enough or narrow enough so that your sit bones are supported but the foam can squeeze up between your buttocks and put pressure on the inside pressuring the crack apart and distorting your rear end.

85 Kg is a little on the light side for your weight to be giving you any trouble so that should pose no problems.

EVERYONE has a unique butt and sitting position so you might have to go through many saddles to find on that fits you. But one that generally works for most people is a Prologo Scratch Pro. These are not particularly light saddles so a lot of people replace them on light bikes so you can general find them on Ebay for pretty cheap.

Hi there,

Thanks for the help!

CycleTom, did all three of your schizophrenia personalities post the same thing?
The website is having problems apparently. It has been giving me reports of "error code" something or other. This didn't occur on this posting and I only posted it one time. And I don't see any manner of erasing a posting. If you disagree with my posting I could see why it would upset you that it posted three times. (posting this it gave me "Error Code 503")

The website is having problems apparently. It has been giving me reports of "error code" something or other. This didn't occur on this posting and I only posted it one time. And I don't see any manner of erasing a posting. If you disagree with my posting I could see why it would upset you that it posted three times. (posting this it gave me "Error Code 503")

Tom, I was being funny not upset