Sharon : The Temple Mount

I know this is "off topic" but w/ all the banter going @ alluding to the alleged stupidity of American's, I would like to counter that argument. America is one of the last nations on earth clinging to the antiquated measuring method's of old England. Hell, England does'nt even use them anymore. Is'nt it a tribute to "merry old" England :rolleyes: that America persist's in using this system & yet we are unequaled when it comes to our manufacture of auto's, weapons, aircraft, ect...using this old system. We still utilize gallons, quarts, inches, miles, acres, ect... Also, America leads the world in innovation in not an insignificant amt. of Computer software-hardware/medical advances/buisiness/industrial sector's. Incidentally, I voted for Sen. Kerry-combat war veteran w/ 30 yrs. experience in the senate, for president. Granted, there are those "51%'ers, who's votes boggle the mind. I would like to hear your input, Lim & others whom i respect, on the forum- FredC, Fixey, Pomod, ect...Thanks.

FredC said:
To prove your point to the Goddists in the United Shithouse of Americans, how about this one. A Norwegian vicar was recently critisised by politicians for thanking God after his team won a big game. Are you reading this George?

Norway, what a nice Country!

In addition to the war in Iraq and Britain's upcoming elections in January, the Middle East peace process is also expected to be a focus of discussion -- an issue that has taken on even more urgency after the death early Thursday morning of Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat. (Full story)

Last week, in congratulating the president on his victory over Democratic Sen. John Kerry, Blair called the Israeli-Palestinian conflict the world's "single most pressing political challenge."

Stiff Upper Lip said:
Yassar's widow to get $22M a year for life. This from a 'Fund' that is associated with his estimated $4B fortune. That's a lot of money.
I just don't get it. I guess he saved a bundle on clothes and razor blades.
It is sickening. I have heard that some, if not all, of those fund's were imbezzled from donations to the palestinians cause. It should'nt be used for personal enrichment. The palestinians should take her to court. Reminds me of a Peruvian lady i knew who, after being informed; by me, that they're former president had looted their treasury, she said that he deserved it :confused:

davidmc said:
It is sickening. I have heard that some, if not all, of those fund's were imbezzled from donations to the palestinians cause. It should'nt be used for personal enrichment. The palestinians should take her to court. Reminds me of a Peruvian lady i knew who, after being informed; by me, that they're former president had looted their treasury, she said that he deserved it :confused:
Take her to court? That's not their style. They'll just strap a bomb on a twelve year old and blow them both to the proverbial smithereens.
That won't help them get their money. But logic isn't their strong suit.

Weisse Luft said:
19 out of ~24 terror groups world wide are Islamic. Tell me again what is the problem?

24 seems a rather low number. You could probably find representatives from 24 terrorist groups within a couple of streets in Belfast in the early 90s. Are you the same guy who massaged the State Department figures that showed Terrorist attacks had decreased since the Bush Crusade started ?

Oh and don't forget Kach(sp?).

Stiff Upper Lip said:
Well, Saudi Arabia does have a sizeable investment in the US, but at this point is about as popular here as any other place whose citizens would board commercial airliners and murder innocent people as they worked their day jobs in NYC.

Not all of the victims were innocent... At *least* $100m of illegal trades (insider deals) passed through the systems of the WTC computer systems during the truncated trading hours of 9/11... If that was an operation carried out by the USAF the balance of the victims would be classed as "Collateral Damage".

Stiff Upper Lip said:
I do not know how many Christians died in the holocaust, but until you have family members that perished under ******--your arguments are nothing more than book-read notions or abstract ideas.

Like the Semites of other creeds for example...

davidmc said:
& yet we are unequaled when it comes to our manufacture of auto's, weapons, aircraft, ect...using this old system. We still utilize gallons, quarts, inches, miles, acres, ect... Also, America leads the world in innovation in not an insignificant amt. of Computer software-hardware/medical advances/buisiness/industrial sector's.

I don't think imperial is a particular impairment to engineering. What I've found is that most engineers *work* in metric, but *talk* imperial. The guy I knew who worked at De Havilland then Rolls Royce (aero engines right up to the 535C) worked in metric for the vast majority of his career. The impression I got from him was that imperial was reserved for approximate hand-waving stuff, metric for the actual business of designing and machining stuff. I suspect the same applies to the US.

Certainly in semiconductor design it's all micro and nano meters...

Printers still used lines per inch as of 1997 - even in Europe. The CTP machines I worked with were very definitely built using metric though - just calibrated to inches. :)

FredC said:
That's a very nice story Lim, and should script up into a film, but for the life of me, what has the Pope ever done for world peace? Nothing. Keep all religions out of politics, things will be resolved if human beings are treated without the overtone of some mythical figment of imagination being involved, yet not taking part.
Here, Here. Human reason. :cool:

darkboong said:
I don't think imperial is a particular impairment to engineering. What I've found is that most engineers *work* in metric, but *talk* imperial. The guy I knew who worked at De Havilland then Rolls Royce (aero engines right up to the 535C) worked in metric for the vast majority of his career. The impression I got from him was that imperial was reserved for approximate hand-waving stuff, metric for the actual business of designing and machining stuff. I suspect the same applies to the US.

Certainly in semiconductor design it's all micro and nano meters...

Printers still used lines per inch as of 1997 - even in Europe. The CTP machines I worked with were very definitely built using metric though - just calibrated to inches. :)
Thank you, I thought America was one of the last countries on earth to use the Imperial (?) measurement system. I used to own a '62 VW 2 dr., hardtop so i had an extensive metric tool kit. Metric makes sense - 1, 1/10, 1/100, ect...

Stiff Upper Lip said:
You better hit your boooong again sister, the fact that some

FWIW boong is derived from "Bungle" (a nickname), not "bhong" and I'm a bloke.

Stiff Upper Lip said:
'illegal trades' whatever the hell that means...there were brokerage houses

Illegal Trades means exactly what it says.

Stiff Upper Lip said:
there...means that people should pay with their lives is assinine.

Quite correct, which is why I didn't say that.

However there are plenty of retards seem to think that the carnage going on in Iraq is justice for 9/11, so I guess that makes them Assinine in your eyes too.

Stiff Upper Lip said:
Man, I really don't know why I bother.

I don't know why you bother either.