Shimano 10speed chain<>sprockets

bertkerkhofs

New Member
Oct 10, 2004
What is the best 'policy' in maintaining the smooth working of the chain and sprockets? After how many km's the chain should be replaced? And the sprockets?

bertkerkhof-<< What is the best 'policy' in maintaining the smooth working of
the chain
and sprockets? After how many km's the chain should be replaced? And the
sprockets? >><BR><BR>

Keep the drivetrain clean, clean the chain frequently, keep lubed(a Wipperman
snaplink is useful here). Measure the chain regularly for 'stretch', either
using a ruler or Rohloff or Park(CC-3) tool. Replace the chain when the tool
says so or at 1/16 in stretch over 12 inches. Replace the cogset when a new
chain 'skips', about 4-6 chains worth, if the above is followed.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

"bertkerkhofs" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> What is the best 'policy' in maintaining the smooth working of the chain
> and sprockets? After how many km's the chain should be replaced? And the
> sprockets

I generally use a rule of thumb of around 2000 km for replacing a chain
(9-speed). As Peter said, I replace my cassette when the chain starts
skipping. If you maintain your drivetrain well, you´ll only need to replace
a chain every now and then for a long-long time...

basjan

Basjan <[email protected]> wrote:

> I generally use a rule of thumb of around 2000 km for replacing a chain
> (9-speed).

If you're talking about road bikes like the original poster was, 2000 km
is very little mileage from a chain. I have used my 10-speed Wippermann
chains for about 6000 km each on a Campagnolo-equipped bike before
replacing them. I have measured the wear using a ruler and replace the
chain when the elongation approaches 0.5 %. Currently I'm using the
fourth chain on the same cassette without any problems.

Of course, if you don't clean your chain reasonably often, it is going
to wear a lot faster. I almost always clean the chain before lubing it,
and that happens whenever it starts to make noise.

-as

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

>What is the best 'policy' in maintaining the smooth working of the chain
>and sprockets? After how many km's the chain should be replaced? And the
>sprockets?

Not all km's are the same. Best bet is to clean your chain on a regular
basis and measure it to see when it is worn. By doing this, you can make
your sprokets last a long time.
Alex

I just replaced my DA 10 speed chain with about 3500 miles. Minor stretching
but I thought it was time so I replaced it. Sprockets are fine. I've always
followed the creed, replace the chain before it destroys your drivetrain.

Dan