Shimano/Duegi shoe sizes?

Pete Biggs

Guest
How do the sizes of Shimano's more casual SPD shoes (eg. MO21) compare to average normal non-cycling
trainers or Vittoria road shoes?

Same question with Duegi MTB shoes.

thanks ~PB

Pete Biggs wrote:
> How do the sizes of Shimano's more casual SPD shoes (eg. MO21) compare to average normal non-
> cycling trainers or Vittoria road shoes?

Sizewise I'm not sure, but note that shapewise Shimano footwear seems to be built on narrow lasts.
Aside from the SD 60 sandals (where there's no upper to cause a problem) I just can't use them,
which is a shame as they look very good value! If you have (or suspect you have) broad feet then
it's possible they'd be no use to you either :-(

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

In article <[email protected]>,
Pete Biggs <ptangerine{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:
> How do the sizes of Shimano's more casual SPD shoes (eg. MO21) compare to average normal non-
> cycling trainers or Vittoria road shoes?

I have a pair of SPD shoes I bought last year, which I don't see on the Shimano website now but I
suspect are the last-year equivalent of the
M038. They're sized fairly long, in that I usually try on first a UK 12, while these are a Euro 46
and fit fine. Another pair of 46s I've bought recently, some Scarpa ``approach shoes'' ---
walking shoes by any other name --- are still OK, but tighter than the Shimanos. The Shimanos
are quite narrow, though: that's good for me, but may not be for some other people.

ian

Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote:

: Sizewise I'm not sure, but note that shapewise Shimano footwear seems to be built on narrow lasts.

Less narrow than they were though. Grrrrrrr.

Duegi have very narrow lasts. Vay!

I won't give any comparision of sizes though - I don't think it's at all sensible. Find a shop and
try them on. Then buy them there.

FWIW I use size 45 shimano MTB boots with big socks in (though the boots are sized big anyway to
allow for this) and 44.5 Duegi road shoes with thin nylon shoe lines. Not the world's most helpful
comparision is it?

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org "Technolibertarians make a philosophy out of a personality defect"
- Paulina Borsook

Arthur Clune wrote:
> I won't give any comparision of sizes though - I don't think it's at all sensible. Find a shop and
> try them on. Then buy them there.

They're not for me and I'm not even buying them. I'm helping someone choose a present for her
husband. Any wrong sizes can be returned for an exchange/refund.

Thanks for all the info so far.

~PB

Pete Biggs wrote:

> They're not for me and I'm not even buying them. I'm helping someone choose a present for her
> husband. Any wrong sizes can be returned for an exchange/refund.

In such instances I usually give a "Valid for one pair of cycling shoes" gift certificate I've run
up and then go out shopping with the person in possession and do the paying bit. That way they get
exactly what they want, and they'll know it's exactly what they want because they've tried on the
alternatives themselves.

Peter Clinch wrote:
> Pete Biggs wrote:
>
>> They're not for me and I'm not even buying them. I'm helping someone choose a present for her
>> husband. Any wrong sizes can be returned for an exchange/refund.
>
> In such instances I usually give a "Valid for one pair of cycling shoes" gift certificate I've run
> up and then go out shopping with the person in possession and do the paying bit. That way they get
> exactly what they want, and they'll know it's exactly what they want because they've tried on the
> alternatives themselves.

Jolly good but that's not what the person wants to do. I think there's a reasonable chance of
getting something good mail order (and at a low price).

~PB

"Pete Biggs" <ptangerine{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> How do the sizes of Shimano's more casual SPD shoes (eg. MO21) compare to average normal non-
> cycling trainers or Vittoria road shoes?
>
> Same question with Duegi MTB shoes.
>
> thanks

As has been said, Shimano make narrow pointy shoes - the same as my feet, so I've been wearing their
cheapest casual type shoes for about 12 years. I've always found their size 44 fits me perfectly
(worn with ordinary cycling socks). This compares to my "normal" shoe size which is invariably 43. I
took the risk of buying a pair of Shimano TO70 shoes last spring by mail order. Once again the 44
was perfect. So, add a size is my advice. Hope this helps, tony R.

tony R wrote:
> As has been said, Shimano make narrow pointy shoes - the same as my feet, so I've been wearing
> their cheapest casual type shoes for about 12 years. I've always found their size 44 fits me
> perfectly (worn with ordinary cycling socks). This compares to my "normal" shoe size which is
> invariably 43. I took the risk of buying a pair of Shimano TO70 shoes last spring by mail order.
> Once again the 44 was perfect. So, add a size is my advice. Hope this helps,

Thanks Tony. I'll forward the info.

~PB