Shimano Flight Deck worth the money ?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Folklore, May 21, 2003.

  1. Folklore

    Folklore Guest

    I've got an REI Novara with all 105 components ($750 for all 105 ain't bad). I've always used a
    Sigma 1400, but considering the Flight Deck. My iniital thought though is that it ain't worth the
    money ($25 for 1400 vs about $65 for Wired Flight Deck vs $90 for RF Flight Deck).

    Is it worth it or just get another 1400?

    Thanks,

    Folk...

    Tags:

  2. helen

    helen Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Folklore <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I've got an REI Novara with all 105 components ($750 for all 105 ain't bad). I've always used a
    > Sigma 1400, but considering the Flight Deck. My iniital thought though is that it ain't worth the
    > money ($25 for 1400 vs about $65 for Wired Flight Deck vs $90 for RF Flight Deck).
    >
    > Is it worth it or just get another 1400?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Folk...

    Put your cheap 'puter in stopwatch or ride time mode. Count your pedal revolutions for 6 seconds and
    multiply by 10. Alternately, count pedal turns for 15 seconds and multiply by 4. Now that cadence is
    out of the way...

    you need to know what gear your in. Look Down. Thats it. Look down and see where the chain is.

    If I wanted a "toy" so to speak to help me get stronger and I had about $60, I'd get a HR monitor
    way before i'd F*** around with flite deck.

    Truk

  3. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message news:210520031423506614%[email protected]...

    > Put your cheap 'puter in stopwatch or ride time mode.
    Count your pedal
    > revolutions for 6 seconds and multiply by 10.
    Alternately, count
    > pedal turns for 15 seconds and multiply by 4. Now that
    cadence is out
    > of the way...
    >
    > you need to know what gear your in. Look Down. Thats it.
    Look down
    > and see where the chain is.
    >
    > If I wanted a "toy" so to speak to help me get stronger
    and I had
    > about $60, I'd get a HR monitor way before i'd F***
    around with flite
    > deck.

    I agree with on all three counts. You can always use whatever cadence is comfortable, and shift
    until you run out of gears. But if you're really serious, a heart rate monitor can be a useful
    training aid.

    Matt O.

  4. DiabloScott

    DiabloScott New Member

    Joined:
    May 15, 2003
    Messages:
    2,284
    I got one - the wireless model. It's a fun toy but it is sometimes confusing and the little buttons are sometimes hard to find - especially with winter gloves on.

    Not $50 better than a regular cyclo-computer but if you got the money anyway... what the hell. OTOH why would you put $100 worth of computer on a $700 bike?

    I suggest the Performance Axiom model; cheap and reliable, just make sure to pay for UPS shipping

  5. Grindstone

    Grindstone Guest

    I've used several types inlcuding the Performance Axiom 8C (a good, inexpensive one). I like the
    flight deck that I've been using for over a year now. The things I like about it:

    Cadence without having a second sensor/wire (because it's "virtual") (cadence is
    important to me as a measure when I'm riding..........obviously not important/used
    by everyone).

    Ability to easily switch thru functions.......i.e., avergage speed, distance, etc.
    etc (I use this quite a bit).

    In part I agree with the other posters concerning the gear indicator.......i..e, not
    a function referred to very often.................BUT, I do refer to it on occassion
    when I've "lost" where I'm at in the gears (and don't want to look down to the crank
    and/or cassette!).

    All said, for my personal use, I like the flight deck and would buy another one. The
    Performance Axiom 8C is a good value choice. If budget is a consideration you might consider
    the Axiom AND a HRM.

    BTW, I ride with "both"...............a flight deck and a HRM (Polar A5). Hope this is helpful.
    "Folklore" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I've got an REI Novara with all 105 components ($750 for all 105 ain't bad). I've always used a
    > Sigma 1400, but considering the Flight Deck. My iniital thought though is that it ain't worth the
    > money ($25 for 1400 vs about $65 for Wired Flight Deck vs $90 for RF Flight Deck).
    >
    > Is it worth it or just get another 1400?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Folk...

  6. Folklore

    Folklore Guest

    Thanks all! Decided on the Axiom.

    Sounds like alot of people have been annoyed that the flightdeck doesn't autostart when you begin a
    ride and more than a few seem to have had problems accidentally putting it in program mode while
    riding (and then erasing their settings) and a few have had problems with it not getting the right
    info from the shifters.

    Great idea, just need a bit of QA for the next version (and maybe a lower price.)