Shimano PD-7800/7750 pedals?

RJohn

Jan 15, 2004
Hi,

I'm considering a pair of Shimano 7800/7750 pedals and would appreciate if someone could answer my following queries:

1. Do they have "self-centering" float? By this I mean if the float is spring-tensioned and returns your feet to the centerline?

2. How much float (lateral, in degrees) do I get with the SHM-11 cleats?

3. How do they compare with Look in terms of float, walkability, hotspot tendency, stability?

Thanks.

Hey, Im in the same market as you and have came to about the same conclusion as you. Im going with the new DA SLs. The wide platform decreases the hotspots much like the looks (vs spd-r or speedplay/frog pedals). The looks have some adjustable float pedals, but I think the standard Shimano SL pedals have 6degrees as standard.

The walkability is reportedly really good... and reportedly dont wear as fast as the look red cleats. One more thing, they dont seem to have any of the squeak problems that Looks do. Im going with the new DA pedal. Both the Ultegra and DA SL models have gotten freaking RAVE reviews over at www.roadbikereview.com. And as an active participant over there, that means a great deal to me. I like the prices of some of the Look stuff right now, but right now, Im looking at price for performance and with my bike that cost me an arm and a leg, I freaking HATE squeaks or phantom popping out of the pedal, or not being able to get clipped in... so Im gonna fork out the extra $40 to go with the DAs.

Cant help you with the centering float... Best of luck!!!

Chris

Is there any difference apart from colour between the 7750's and the 7800's?

Originally posted by patch70
Is there any difference apart from colour between the 7750's and the 7800's?

i was told by a dealer that they are identical except for color scheme. most places that have both offer them for the same price.

the 7750s are the 2003 version, and strangely enough, advertised at 4gs lighter. I think the only major change is that the 2004 7800s color is matched to the new DA 10 speed group. Other than that I think they are pretty much the same.

Chris

Dura Ace pedals are the best out there...theyre light..great platform..release and entry is easy. Cleat plus pedal is only about 30 g. heavier then Speedplay stainless (titanium is only for riders less than 180lbs). You CAN actually walk in these cleats...much easier then LOOK...who wants to carry rubber covers for your Speedplays? These pedals are used by many pro Teams and if its good enough for Lance and the other Posties..than good enough for me.