shimano shifters newbie question...

ZeMascouflatte

Guest
hello,
i love my bike, except for theses rattling shimano 105. did change the
caps, but still the same annoying noise. question: without changing
anything else, which is all 105 (derailleurs, etc...) can i upgrade the
shifters? keep everything 105, which works fine for me, and put some
ultegra shifters, for example?
thanks.

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 16:16:55 -0500, ZeMascouflatte
<[email protected]> wrote:

>hello,
>i love my bike, except for theses rattling shimano 105. did change the
>caps, but still the same annoying noise. question: without changing
>anything else, which is all 105 (derailleurs, etc...) can i upgrade the
>shifters? keep everything 105, which works fine for me, and put some
>ultegra shifters, for example?
>thanks.

Yes!

Life is Good!
Jeff

> >shifters? keep everything 105, which works fine for me, and put some
> >ultegra shifters, for example?

> Yes!

Thank you.
simple, efficient.

> Life is Good!

considering the alternative, it sure is!

http://www.usenet.com

"ZeMascouflatte" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> hello,
> i love my bike, except for theses rattling shimano 105. did change the
> caps, but still the same annoying noise. question: without changing
> anything else, which is all 105 (derailleurs, etc...) can i upgrade the
> shifters? keep everything 105, which works fine for me, and put some
> ultegra shifters, for example?
> thanks.

They say that newer model Shimano brifters, 105 and Ultegra, are built a
little different so they don't rattle so much. The older units apparently
had such a problem -- I've seen after-market gizmos sold on eBay and
marketed to taped into the brift to dampen the rattle.

Anyway, I know my recent model 105s are still quiet. Ultegra 9 will swap out
105 - 9 just dandy.

mC

Jeff Starr wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 16:16:55 -0500, ZeMascouflatte
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >hello,
> >i love my bike, except for theses rattling shimano 105. did change the
> >caps, but still the same annoying noise. question: without changing
> >anything else, which is all 105 (derailleurs, etc...) can i upgrade the
> >shifters? keep everything 105, which works fine for me, and put some
> >ultegra shifters, for example?
> >thanks.

> Yes!
>

> Life is Good!
> Jeff

OR for the same $, get Campag Veloce 10s ERGO and a Veloce RDER, never
have crappy lever problem again, and no rattles either!!!

Yes, Campag 10s is compatible with shimano 9s cogset and chain...

I got rid of the rattle in my Sh. brifters by going back to regular
brakes an putting my Ultegra bar-cons back on.

Also lightened the bike and got the fine tuning for the front mech. back
too.

- -
Comments and opinions compliments of,
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"