Shimano to Campy cassette conversion

kjackbrown

Aug 16, 2005
I have a set of Performance Titan wheels left over from my old road bike (Shimano out fitted of course). The bike I'm currently building (Kestrel Talon w/ Campy Record) does not have wheels yet. I read about a cassette that actually mounts to Shimano hubs...but is set up for Campy components. Has anybody had any experience with these? Are they total ****? I do not have the cash to buy the wheelset I want right now (Ksyrium ES) and they sell these "conversion cassettes" for $85 (which would free up a few extra $ for some sweet handle bars).

I believe they are made by American Classic.

I have been using a Wheels Inc converted cassette to run Shimano equipped wheelsets on my Campy 10 bike. Does it work? Absolutely. I have been using a converted Ultegra cassette in the very impressive 12-27 configuration.

I have heard, but cannot personally confirm (because I don't have one), that Campy 10 and Shimano 10 are close enough that a Shimano 10 cassette can be used unmodified on a Campy 10 group.

JohnO said:
I have heard, but cannot personally confirm (because I don't have one), that Campy 10 and Shimano 10 are close enough that a Shimano 10 cassette can be used unmodified on a Campy 10 group.

Yes it is true... if you already have a shimano cassette no need to buy another one. Both a Shimano 9spd and 10spd cassette willl work with an otherwise 100% campy 10spd setup: For the 9 speed just mount the cable on the wrong side of the derailluer screw (changes the effective cable move per shift), and for 10 speed just bolt it right up. I have used both setups on a tandem which are notorious for poor shifting, with no problems.