Shipping a bike overseas

figrin

Aug 27, 2005
I am moving overseas and need to ship my bike from Sydney to Toronto, Canada.

Anyone knows what's the best and cheapest option to do this? I got quoted $1100 for the bike plus a couple of cartons, and not sure if that's a reasonable price.

You're better off parting it up and sending it in a couple of boxes - frame + parts in one, wheels in another, or each wheel in a seperate box.

Just use the regular Auspost airmail, or EMS, and insure it for the proper amount and you'll be apples.

Alternatively, if you're going for a long time, it might be cheaper just to buy a new bike when you're over there.

figrin said:
I am moving overseas and need to ship my bike from Sydney to Toronto, Canada.

Anyone knows what's the best and cheapest option to do this? I got quoted $1100 for the bike plus a couple of cartons, and not sure if that's a reasonable price.

How about taking it with you as check-in baggage. You can put it in a bike box from your LBS (or ask them to pack it for you), or invest in a padded bike bag and eBay it, if you don't need it, when you get there.

I fly everywhere with my bike and eventually bought a Ritchey breakaway frame. The bike fits in it's own bag 700 x 700 x 280mm... and doesn't get a second look at check-in... Oh, and bike and bag weighs 10.5kg (14kg with all my cycling gear - helmet, shoes, tools etc) :D

RitcheyBAB02.jpg