shoe/pedal question

jbpegasus

Apr 26, 2004
Hi all,
I'm new to cycling and just got my very first road bike. Right now I'm training for a triathlon. I was just wondering what type of shoes/pedals you would recommend for me just starting out. My boyfriend was at the bike shop, and the guy recommended getting mountain bike shoes even though it was for road bike becuase they have better traction on the bottom, and it is easier when you have to stop at red lights and stop signs. what do you think about this? any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks!
:)

The info you were given at the bike shop is always something to consider--mountain bike shoes are usually easier to walk in. If you think you will be walking a lot in your biking shoes, then this would be a good idea. Mountain bike shoes are often more comfortable for people starting out too, as well as many seasoned riders due to the fact that they are not as stiff as many road bike shoes. On the other hand, if you are serious about training for triathlons, I would strongly suggest a pair of road bike shoes. Road bike shoes are compatible with many pedal systems (not sure if all mountain bike shoes are compatible with three hole, Look style cleats or not), and are usually more efficient at transferring power to the pedals (not absolutely necessary to worry about at the beginner stage though).

I would suggest looking into a road bike shoe with triathlon in mind (usually only one or two straps, and definitely no laces--faster transition times) and a set of Look pedals. Look pedals are what many, many, many people use on their road bikes and most people find them to be good. If you have any knee problems, you may want to look into Speedplay pedals as I have heard they are very easy on the knees due to the large amount of free float they have. Hope this helps! Good luck!

Jeff

If completely new to cycling then MTB shoes are not a bad suggestion at all. I would even go as far as saying to couple them with MTB pedals.

Reasons? Firstly as you say, easier to get out of the pedals at traffic lights etc. Also, if you are new to clipless pedals altogether, this could avoid an embarrasing moment when you can't get out of the pedals when you stop and fall flat on the floor! (yes I've done this on my MTB but landed on grass- wouldn't like to do it at traffic lights!!)

Once your'e used to it, then graduate to road shoes and proper road pedals. They're harder to get out (and particularly in, I find) but they are much better for power transfer etc.

In summary, I would say go for a cheap pair of MTB shoes and pedals til you are comfortable with it, but definately change to road shoes/ pedals, particularly if you are planning to compete.

Unless you are going to be walking around a lot in the shoes, I'd recommend road bike shoes from the start. They really don't take very long to get used to - if you spent 30 minutes clipping yourself in and out, you'd be fully acclimated to them. The reason I recommend going this way is because it doesn't really make sense to buy MTB shoes just to learn how to use clipless pedals - invest your money in a good set up front and take a little time to get used to them.

drmac618 said:
What is the benefit of a stiffer shoe? Does it help with power?
Stiffer shoes provide for more efficient energy transfer to the pedals. The more your shoes flex, the more enery you are expending that is NOT being transferred to the pedals (instead that energy is being used to bend the shoe).

WINGNUTT said:
Stiffer shoes provide for more efficient energy transfer to the pedals. The more your shoes flex, the more enery you are expending that is NOT being transferred to the pedals (instead that energy is being used to bend the shoe).

Does it really make that much of a difference to a cat4 or 5 rider???

In reality, there is probably not that much difference between the power output of the same cat 5 rider with shoes that use a nylon sole vs. shoes that use a carbon sole over the short term. But, if you look at a longer race/ride that lost energy can become significant. Also, do you want to know that you are wasting energy while you are racing? I know I wouldn't! This doesn't mean that you should go out and buy $400 carbon soled shoes, but certainly check out a couple different shoes and keep stiffness in mind. There are a couple manufacturers that sell a carbon soled shoe for under $200. There are also very stiff shoes that don't use carbon fiber.

Jeff

drmac618 said:
Does it really make that much of a difference to a cat4 or 5 rider???
Well, that depends. I think even a novice rider would notice a performance gain with rigid-sole shoes vs. sneakers. However, going from plastic to carbon fiber soles isn't going to do a damn thing for anyone but a pro.