Shorts



Status
Not open for further replies.
M

M.E.H.

Guest
Any body have a preference in brand of riding shorts. Which are most comforable and well padded for
long rides. For Road.
 
J

Joel Rose

Guest
I wear the Hind Ultra Drylete and I think they are great! My longest ride to date is about 75km and
not one single problem from the shorts. I just purchased my second pair so that there's always a
clean set ready to go.

Joel "M.E.H." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Any body have a preference in brand of riding shorts. Which are most comforable and well padded
> for long rides. For Road.
 
R

Ronald

Guest
> Any body have a preference in brand of riding shorts. Which are most comforable and well padded
> for long rides. For Road.

I like the BioRacer bibshorts with Airstripe chamois, it's a one piece chamois so no stitchings in
sensitive areas etc. The short is made out of six parts and fits very well.

http://www.bioracer.com/Nederlands/TTW/DETAIL_info_template.php?clothes_item
=110

"M.E.H." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Any body have a preference in brand of riding shorts. Which are most comforable and well padded
> for long rides. For Road.
 
J

Jay Beattie

Guest
FYI, Velo News has a nice article comparing various brands of bib-shorts. IIRC, the Santini and
Pearl Izumi scored well. I prefer PI standard (non-bib) fieldsensor shorts.-- Jay Beattie.

"M.E.H." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Any body have a preference in brand of riding shorts. Which are most comforable and well padded
> for long rides. For Road.
 
P

Peter Cole

Guest
"Jay Beattie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> FYI, Velo News has a nice article comparing various brands of bib-shorts. IIRC, the Santini and
> Pearl Izumi scored well. I prefer PI standard (non-bib) fieldsensor shorts.-- Jay Beattie.

Me too, I think PI FieldSensor/Ultrasensor is the "gold standard".

Since the PI are so expensive (they do last forever, though), I got a pair of Voler shorts (direct,
through Voler.com) in December. Half the price, so far so good, although I haven't done any serious
rides in them yet. I've done a few 250 mile rides in the PI's.

The PI's I really like are made from an unusual fabric, which has a coarse texture, I think they
were originally meant for MTB wear (not baggy though). They wear like iron, and are actually very
comfortable, even in the heat. I'd like to get some more, but PI doesn't seem to make them, and I
haven't seen any others like them.
 
J

Jim Lane

Guest
M.E.H. wrote:
> Any body have a preference in brand of riding shorts. Which are most comforable and well padded
> for long rides. For Road.

There is no one soliution for everyone. Why don't you buy one PI and one Hind. Wear them for awhile
and see which pair you can't wait to wash and re-wear instead of the other that is now occupying
space or for emergency wear only.

I started out with Performance, then tried and adopted PI Attack. I just bought my first Hind
Drylete Lite (all eight panel).

There is an amazing difference in the crotch area fitting and bulkiness. The short fabric itself is
relatively the same.

jim
 
G

Garyg

Guest
"Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Jay Beattie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > FYI, Velo News has a nice article comparing various brands of bib-shorts. IIRC, the Santini and
> > Pearl Izumi scored well. I prefer PI standard (non-bib) fieldsensor shorts.-- Jay Beattie.
>
> Me too, I think PI FieldSensor/Ultrasensor is the "gold standard".

I tried two pair of those, and ended up having to give them to a friend. For whatever reason, any
time I rode more than about 20 miles or so, they would literally cut my ass. Something on the edge
of the chamois was sawing a 1" long laceration into my outer cheek...quite literally a PITA. I liked
the shorts in every other respect, but found them impossible to wear.

My friend wears them with no problems...just goes to show that every body is different.

>
> Since the PI are so expensive (they do last forever, though), I got a pair
of
> Voler shorts (direct, through Voler.com) in December. Half the price, so
far
> so good, although I haven't done any serious rides in them yet. I've done
a
> few 250 mile rides in the PI's.
>
> The PI's I really like are made from an unusual fabric, which has a coarse texture, I think they
> were originally meant for MTB wear (not baggy
though).
> They wear like iron, and are actually very comfortable, even in the heat.
I'd
> like to get some more, but PI doesn't seem to make them, and I haven't
seen
> any others like them.
 
R

Rix

Guest
Sugoi Technifine. I have tried them all! These are the best for longer saddle time.
 
S

Sandy Christmus

Guest
M.E.H. wrote:

>Any body have a preference in brand of riding shorts. Which are most comforable and well padded for
>long rides. For Road.
>
>
Nobody's voted for Canari, but I sure like mine. They're either the Elite or the Vortex, I'm not
sure, but the fit is great and the chamois is very comfortable. Are Canari's not a popular brand?
They are hard to find, though, and that's a pain.

Just curious,

Sandy
 
J

John McGraw

Guest
Sandy Christmus <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> M.E.H. wrote:
>
> >Any body have a preference in brand of riding shorts. Which are most comforable and well padded
> >for long rides. For Road.

Wow! This is really odd, but I've been mentally composing an original post requesting info. about
bike shorts for several days now and decided to post it tonight. Now it won't have to be original.

I'm not wild about tight road shorts even though I've worn them for years. I despise baggies. It
used to be possible in the '80s & early '90s to buy bike shorts that looked like hiking shorts w/
bellows pockets & / or other pockets. My favorites were Hinds. Does anyone make these today?

I assume that this is a subject that it would be ok to cross post. If so which other groups would
be suitable?

Any info. greatly appreciated. John
 
T

Tauras

Guest
"John McGraw" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Sandy Christmus <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > M.E.H. wrote:
> >
> > >Any body have a preference in brand of riding shorts. Which are most comforable and well padded
> > >for long rides. For Road.
>
> Wow! This is really odd, but I've been mentally composing an original post requesting info. about
> bike shorts for several days now and decided to post it tonight. Now it won't have to be original.
>
> I'm not wild about tight road shorts even though I've worn them for years. I despise baggies. It
> used to be possible in the '80s & early '90s to buy bike shorts that looked like hiking shorts w/
> bellows pockets & / or other pockets. My favorites were Hinds. Does anyone make these today?
>
> I assume that this is a subject that it would be ok to cross post. If so which other groups would
> be suitable?
>
> Any info. greatly appreciated. John

I got a pair of Hind courior shorts which have the pockets and long inseem to keep knees covered
from the sun a few months ago, very good short but they are baggy. Best part about them is they are
white/sand color, I hate dark shorts just makes you sweat more and hides the ticks. Got them at
Performance 79 marked down to 30, wish I bought two pairs! I also don't use those garish stupid
looking racing jerseys. Just long sleave polypro tee zips AKA winter underwear, can be found at
rei/... for 15$ and works excellent in white while riding the sunny hot hills of California.

Tauras http://www.kcbx.net/~tsulaiti/surfreport/

-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1
Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----
 
J

Jay Beattie

Guest
"GaryG" <[email protected]_NOSPAMX_.net> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "Jay Beattie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > FYI, Velo News has a nice article comparing various brands of bib-shorts. IIRC, the Santini
> > > and Pearl Izumi scored well. I
prefer PI
> > > standard (non-bib) fieldsensor shorts.-- Jay Beattie.
> >
> > Me too, I think PI FieldSensor/Ultrasensor is the "gold standard".
>
> I tried two pair of those, and ended up having to give them to a
friend.
> For whatever reason, any time I rode more than about 20 miles or so,
they
> would literally cut my ass. Something on the edge of the chamois was
sawing
> a 1" long laceration into my outer cheek...quite literally a PITA. I
liked
> the shorts in every other respect, but found them impossible to wear.
>
> My friend wears them with no problems...just goes to show that every
body is
> different.

That would have been the rear seam, which should be flat felled. I had the same problem with a 1989
pair of PI, but it was only a problem after a very hot double century -- and I never had it again.
But you bring up the obvious fact that shorts are very personal fit-wise. My very favorite pair of
shorts was a pair of bibs made by a now-defunct small company called BLIX. They were required
team-wear and probably too large in the uppers for most of the riders on my team -- but perfect for
me. Long legs, thin padding, nice flat seams and a good weight fabric. I wish I bought ten pairs. --
Jay Beattie.
 
P

Paul Kopit

Guest
Bibs preferrable to shorts.

Castelli Y2K, Great but too expensive.

Nashbar Epic, Pad works as well as Castelli. Inseam and rise are short. A plus for some people.
Don't buy if you have a belly.

Voler with blue pad. Pad slighly inferior to above. Great value and fit.

Long rides = 200 mi. and greater.
 
P

Paul Kopit

Guest
On Mon, 12 May 2003 11:57:12 -0700, Jim Lane <[email protected]> wrote:

>There is no one soliution for everyone.

Actually, a trick used by many Ultra riders is to wear 2 pair of shorts. One with thin pad and
another regular. The outer short will move over the inner one instead of rubbing your skin. Women
seem to do very well with this solution. I don't wear 2 pair regularly. When I did, I found that an
old, worn thin, 2nd pair of shorts worked fine.
 
G

Garyg

Guest
"Paul Kopit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 12 May 2003 11:57:12 -0700, Jim Lane <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >There is no one soliution for everyone.
>
> Actually, a trick used by many Ultra riders is to wear 2 pair of shorts. One with thin pad and
> another regular. The outer short will move over the inner one instead of rubbing your skin. Women
> seem to do very well with this solution. I don't wear 2 pair regularly. When I did, I found that
> an old, worn thin, 2nd pair of shorts worked fine.
>

Which one is against your skin? The older thinner one, or the thicker one?

GG
 
M

Matt O'Toole

Guest
"John McGraw" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I'm not wild about tight road shorts even though I've worn
them for
> years. I despise baggies. It used to be possible in the
'80s & early
> '90s to buy bike shorts that looked like hiking shorts w/
bellows
> pockets & / or other pockets. My favorites were Hinds.
Does anyone
> make these today?

I know the shorts you're talking about -- I never sought them out for biking, but they were great
for sailing. I'm pretty sure Sportif still makes them. They have extra pockets and a double seat,
and are made of semi-stretchy nylon. They also have normal chino shorts and pants made of a
lightweight cottton/nylon/lycra blend, which are great for all around wear, including a bunch of
riding. I used to wear them all the time. I'm pretty sure they still make these too.

Matt O.
 
R

Rb

Guest
I found those expensive Pearl Izumi shorts with the blue waffle-surface chamois padding don't work
well for me. It feels like corrogated cardboard on my butt on hot and sweaty rides. The padding has
seams right down the middle that's supposed to bend or something to flex with the body, but I found
that the padding just bunches up and irritates my skin. The cheapest PI shorts have a flat
tan-colored padding that I actually like better.

r.b.

> > > M.E.H. wrote:
> > >
> > > >Any body have a preference in brand of riding shorts. Which are most comforable and well
> > > >padded for long rides. For Road.
 
H

Hawke

Guest
"John McGraw" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Sandy Christmus <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > M.E.H. wrote:
> >
> > >Any body have a preference in brand of riding shorts. Which are most comforable and well padded
> > >for long rides. For Road.
>
> Wow! This is really odd, but I've been mentally composing an original post requesting info. about
> bike shorts for several days now and decided to post it tonight. Now it won't have to be original.
>
> I'm not wild about tight road shorts even though I've worn them for years. I despise baggies. It
> used to be possible in the '80s & early '90s to buy bike shorts that looked like hiking shorts w/
> bellows pockets & / or other pockets. My favorites were Hinds. Does anyone make these today?
>
> I assume that this is a subject that it would be ok to cross post. If so which other groups would
> be suitable?
>
> Any info. greatly appreciated. John

Thongs are becoming popular in California!

Hawke
 
G

Garyg

Guest
"Hawke" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> "John McGraw" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Sandy Christmus <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > M.E.H. wrote:
> > >
> > > >Any body have a preference in brand of riding shorts. Which are most comforable and well
> > > >padded for long rides. For Road.
> >
> > Wow! This is really odd, but I've been mentally composing an original post requesting info.
> > about bike shorts for several days now and decided to post it tonight. Now it won't have to be
> > original.
> >
> > I'm not wild about tight road shorts even though I've worn them for years. I despise baggies. It
> > used to be possible in the '80s & early '90s to buy bike shorts that looked like hiking shorts
> > w/ bellows pockets & / or other pockets. My favorites were Hinds. Does anyone make these today?
> >
> > I assume that this is a subject that it would be ok to cross post. If so which other groups
> > would be suitable?
> >
> > Any info. greatly appreciated. John
>
> Thongs are becoming popular in California!

The recent news item on this was about a guy in San Antonio, Texas.

http://news.mysanantonio.com/story.cfm?xla=saen&xlb=180&xlc=991269

>
> Hawke
 
R

Robin Hubert

Guest
I wear Assos bib shorts and like them very much. The price is exhorbitant but not bad when you pay
wholesale (but then again not so good when you make bike shop wages). Back in the day I used
inexpensive shorts such as Blackbottom, and then moved to PI Fieldsensors that were comfy, but wore
through in no time, revealing Mr. ***** though I took normal good care of them (i.e., hand washing).
I always had problems with folliculitis from longer rides despite heeding the warnings of
maintaining cleanliness, and was relieved only by the move to Assos shorts and Assos chamois cream.
I believe that any good shorts would benefit me with the addition of lube. Anyway, bibs are very
comfy to me, though the "half shorts" are nice too. FWIW, then, I recommend ignoring the
fearmongering about normal skin flora and just keep the friction down. This year Assos is moving all
their shorts to the new stretch synthetic "chamois". I tried this new material in an FI-13 short and
was not impressed. It's a damn chamois cream sponge.

--
Robin Hubert <[email protected]
 
Status
Not open for further replies.