Shorts

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by M.E.H., May 12, 2003.

  1. M.E.H.

    M.E.H. Guest

    Any body have a preference in brand of riding shorts. Which are most comforable and well padded for
    long rides. For Road.

    Tags:

  2. Joel Rose

    Joel Rose Guest

    I wear the Hind Ultra Drylete and I think they are great! My longest ride to date is about 75km and
    not one single problem from the shorts. I just purchased my second pair so that there's always a
    clean set ready to go.

    Joel "M.E.H." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Any body have a preference in brand of riding shorts. Which are most comforable and well padded
    > for long rides. For Road.

  3. Ronald

    Ronald Guest

    > Any body have a preference in brand of riding shorts. Which are most comforable and well padded
    > for long rides. For Road.

    I like the BioRacer bibshorts with Airstripe chamois, it's a one piece chamois so no stitchings in
    sensitive areas etc. The short is made out of six parts and fits very well.

    http://www.bioracer.com/Nederlands/TTW/DETAIL_info_template.php?clothes_item
    =110

    "M.E.H." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Any body have a preference in brand of riding shorts. Which are most comforable and well padded
    > for long rides. For Road.

  4. Jay Beattie

    Jay Beattie Guest

    FYI, Velo News has a nice article comparing various brands of bib-shorts. IIRC, the Santini and
    Pearl Izumi scored well. I prefer PI standard (non-bib) fieldsensor shorts.-- Jay Beattie.

    "M.E.H." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]com...
    > Any body have a preference in brand of riding shorts. Which are most comforable and well padded
    > for long rides. For Road.

  5. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    "Jay Beattie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > FYI, Velo News has a nice article comparing various brands of bib-shorts. IIRC, the Santini and
    > Pearl Izumi scored well. I prefer PI standard (non-bib) fieldsensor shorts.-- Jay Beattie.

    Me too, I think PI FieldSensor/Ultrasensor is the "gold standard".

    Since the PI are so expensive (they do last forever, though), I got a pair of Voler shorts (direct,
    through Voler.com) in December. Half the price, so far so good, although I haven't done any serious
    rides in them yet. I've done a few 250 mile rides in the PI's.

    The PI's I really like are made from an unusual fabric, which has a coarse texture, I think they
    were originally meant for MTB wear (not baggy though). They wear like iron, and are actually very
    comfortable, even in the heat. I'd like to get some more, but PI doesn't seem to make them, and I
    haven't seen any others like them.

  6. Jim Lane

    Jim Lane Guest

    M.E.H. wrote:
    > Any body have a preference in brand of riding shorts. Which are most comforable and well padded
    > for long rides. For Road.

    There is no one soliution for everyone. Why don't you buy one PI and one Hind. Wear them for awhile
    and see which pair you can't wait to wash and re-wear instead of the other that is now occupying
    space or for emergency wear only.

    I started out with Performance, then tried and adopted PI Attack. I just bought my first Hind
    Drylete Lite (all eight panel).

    There is an amazing difference in the crotch area fitting and bulkiness. The short fabric itself is
    relatively the same.

    jim

  7. Garyg

    Garyg Guest

    "Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Jay Beattie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > FYI, Velo News has a nice article comparing various brands of bib-shorts. IIRC, the Santini and
    > > Pearl Izumi scored well. I prefer PI standard (non-bib) fieldsensor shorts.-- Jay Beattie.
    >
    > Me too, I think PI FieldSensor/Ultrasensor is the "gold standard".

    I tried two pair of those, and ended up having to give them to a friend. For whatever reason, any
    time I rode more than about 20 miles or so, they would literally cut my ass. Something on the edge
    of the chamois was sawing a 1" long laceration into my outer cheek...quite literally a PITA. I liked
    the shorts in every other respect, but found them impossible to wear.

    My friend wears them with no problems...just goes to show that every body is different.

    > Since the PI are so expensive (they do last forever, though), I got a pair
    of
    > Voler shorts (direct, through Voler.com) in December. Half the price, so
    far
    > so good, although I haven't done any serious rides in them yet. I've done
    > few 250 mile rides in the PI's.
    >
    > The PI's I really like are made from an unusual fabric, which has a coarse texture, I think they
    > were originally meant for MTB wear (not baggy
    though).
    > They wear like iron, and are actually very comfortable, even in the heat.
    I'd
    > like to get some more, but PI doesn't seem to make them, and I haven't
    seen
    > any others like them.

  8. Rix

    Rix Guest

    Sugoi Technifine. I have tried them all! These are the best for longer saddle time.

  9. M.E.H. wrote:

    >Any body have a preference in brand of riding shorts. Which are most comforable and well padded for
    >long rides. For Road.

    Nobody's voted for Canari, but I sure like mine. They're either the Elite or the Vortex, I'm not
    sure, but the fit is great and the chamois is very comfortable. Are Canari's not a popular brand?
    They are hard to find, though, and that's a pain.

    Just curious,

    Sandy

  10. John McGraw

    John McGraw Guest

    Sandy Christmus <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > M.E.H. wrote:
    >
    > >Any body have a preference in brand of riding shorts. Which are most comforable and well padded
    > >for long rides. For Road.

    Wow! This is really odd, but I've been mentally composing an original post requesting info. about
    bike shorts for several days now and decided to post it tonight. Now it won't have to be original.

    I'm not wild about tight road shorts even though I've worn them for years. I despise baggies. It
    used to be possible in the '80s & early '90s to buy bike shorts that looked like hiking shorts w/
    bellows pockets & / or other pockets. My favorites were Hinds. Does anyone make these today?

    I assume that this is a subject that it would be ok to cross post. If so which other groups would
    be suitable?

    Any info. greatly appreciated. John

  11. Tauras

    Tauras Guest

    "John McGraw" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Sandy Christmus <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > M.E.H. wrote:
    > >
    > > >Any body have a preference in brand of riding shorts. Which are most comforable and well padded
    > > >for long rides. For Road.
    >
    > Wow! This is really odd, but I've been mentally composing an original post requesting info. about
    > bike shorts for several days now and decided to post it tonight. Now it won't have to be original.
    >
    > I'm not wild about tight road shorts even though I've worn them for years. I despise baggies. It
    > used to be possible in the '80s & early '90s to buy bike shorts that looked like hiking shorts w/
    > bellows pockets & / or other pockets. My favorites were Hinds. Does anyone make these today?
    >
    > I assume that this is a subject that it would be ok to cross post. If so which other groups would
    > be suitable?
    >
    > Any info. greatly appreciated. John

    I got a pair of Hind courior shorts which have the pockets and long inseem to keep knees covered
    from the sun a few months ago, very good short but they are baggy. Best part about them is they are
    white/sand color, I hate dark shorts just makes you sweat more and hides the ticks. Got them at
    Performance 79 marked down to 30, wish I bought two pairs! I also don't use those garish stupid
    looking racing jerseys. Just long sleave polypro tee zips AKA winter underwear, can be found at
    rei/... for 15$ and works excellent in white while riding the sunny hot hills of California.

    Tauras http://www.kcbx.net/~tsulaiti/surfreport/

  12. Jay Beattie

    Jay Beattie Guest

    "GaryG" <[email protected]_NOSPAMX_.net> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > "Jay Beattie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > FYI, Velo News has a nice article comparing various brands of bib-shorts. IIRC, the Santini
    > > > and Pearl Izumi scored well. I
    prefer PI
    > > > standard (non-bib) fieldsensor shorts.-- Jay Beattie.
    > >
    > > Me too, I think PI FieldSensor/Ultrasensor is the "gold standard".
    >
    > I tried two pair of those, and ended up having to give them to a
    friend.
    > For whatever reason, any time I rode more than about 20 miles or so,
    they
    > would literally cut my ass. Something on the edge of the chamois was
    sawing
    > a 1" long laceration into my outer cheek...quite literally a PITA. I
    liked
    > the shorts in every other respect, but found them impossible to wear.
    >
    > My friend wears them with no problems...just goes to show that every
    body is
    > different.

    That would have been the rear seam, which should be flat felled. I had the same problem with a 1989
    pair of PI, but it was only a problem after a very hot double century -- and I never had it again.
    But you bring up the obvious fact that shorts are very personal fit-wise. My very favorite pair of
    shorts was a pair of bibs made by a now-defunct small company called BLIX. They were required
    team-wear and probably too large in the uppers for most of the riders on my team -- but perfect for
    me. Long legs, thin padding, nice flat seams and a good weight fabric. I wish I bought ten pairs. --
    Jay Beattie.

  13. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    Bibs preferrable to shorts.

    Castelli Y2K, Great but too expensive.

    Nashbar Epic, Pad works as well as Castelli. Inseam and rise are short. A plus for some people.
    Don't buy if you have a belly.

    Voler with blue pad. Pad slighly inferior to above. Great value and fit.

    Long rides = 200 mi. and greater.

  14. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On Mon, 12 May 2003 11:57:12 -0700, Jim Lane <[email protected]> wrote:

    >There is no one soliution for everyone.

    Actually, a trick used by many Ultra riders is to wear 2 pair of shorts. One with thin pad and
    another regular. The outer short will move over the inner one instead of rubbing your skin. Women
    seem to do very well with this solution. I don't wear 2 pair regularly. When I did, I found that an
    old, worn thin, 2nd pair of shorts worked fine.

  15. Garyg

    Garyg Guest

    "Paul Kopit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Mon, 12 May 2003 11:57:12 -0700, Jim Lane <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >There is no one soliution for everyone.
    >
    > Actually, a trick used by many Ultra riders is to wear 2 pair of shorts. One with thin pad and
    > another regular. The outer short will move over the inner one instead of rubbing your skin. Women
    > seem to do very well with this solution. I don't wear 2 pair regularly. When I did, I found that
    > an old, worn thin, 2nd pair of shorts worked fine.

    Which one is against your skin? The older thinner one, or the thicker one?

    GG

  16. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "John McGraw" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I'm not wild about tight road shorts even though I've worn
    them for
    > years. I despise baggies. It used to be possible in the
    '80s & early
    > '90s to buy bike shorts that looked like hiking shorts w/
    bellows
    > pockets & / or other pockets. My favorites were Hinds.
    Does anyone
    > make these today?

    I know the shorts you're talking about -- I never sought them out for biking, but they were great
    for sailing. I'm pretty sure Sportif still makes them. They have extra pockets and a double seat,
    and are made of semi-stretchy nylon. They also have normal chino shorts and pants made of a
    lightweight cottton/nylon/lycra blend, which are great for all around wear, including a bunch of
    riding. I used to wear them all the time. I'm pretty sure they still make these too.

    Matt O.

  17. Rb

    Rb Guest

    I found those expensive Pearl Izumi shorts with the blue waffle-surface chamois padding don't work
    well for me. It feels like corrogated cardboard on my butt on hot and sweaty rides. The padding has
    seams right down the middle that's supposed to bend or something to flex with the body, but I found
    that the padding just bunches up and irritates my skin. The cheapest PI shorts have a flat
    tan-colored padding that I actually like better.

    r.b.

  18. Hawke

    Hawke Guest

    "John McGraw" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Sandy Christmus <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > M.E.H. wrote:
    > >
    > > >Any body have a preference in brand of riding shorts. Which are most comforable and well padded
    > > >for long rides. For Road.
    >
    > Wow! This is really odd, but I've been mentally composing an original post requesting info. about
    > bike shorts for several days now and decided to post it tonight. Now it won't have to be original.
    >
    > I'm not wild about tight road shorts even though I've worn them for years. I despise baggies. It
    > used to be possible in the '80s & early '90s to buy bike shorts that looked like hiking shorts w/
    > bellows pockets & / or other pockets. My favorites were Hinds. Does anyone make these today?
    >
    > I assume that this is a subject that it would be ok to cross post. If so which other groups would
    > be suitable?
    >
    > Any info. greatly appreciated. John

    Thongs are becoming popular in California!

    Hawke

  19. Garyg

    Garyg Guest

    "Hawke" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "John McGraw" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Sandy Christmus <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...

    > > Wow! This is really odd, but I've been mentally composing an original post requesting info.
    > > about bike shorts for several days now and decided to post it tonight. Now it won't have to be
    > > original.
    > >
    > > I'm not wild about tight road shorts even though I've worn them for years. I despise baggies. It
    > > used to be possible in the '80s & early '90s to buy bike shorts that looked like hiking shorts
    > > w/ bellows pockets & / or other pockets. My favorites were Hinds. Does anyone make these today?
    > >
    > > I assume that this is a subject that it would be ok to cross post. If so which other groups
    > > would be suitable?
    > >
    > > Any info. greatly appreciated. John
    >
    > Thongs are becoming popular in California!

    The recent news item on this was about a guy in San Antonio, Texas.

    http://news.mysanantonio.com/story.cfm?xla=saen&xlb=180&xlc=991269

    > Hawke

  20. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    I wear Assos bib shorts and like them very much. The price is exhorbitant but not bad when you pay
    wholesale (but then again not so good when you make bike shop wages). Back in the day I used
    inexpensive shorts such as Blackbottom, and then moved to PI Fieldsensors that were comfy, but wore
    through in no time, revealing Mr. Willy though I took normal good care of them (i.e., hand washing).
    I always had problems with folliculitis from longer rides despite heeding the warnings of
    maintaining cleanliness, and was relieved only by the move to Assos shorts and Assos chamois cream.
    I believe that any good shorts would benefit me with the addition of lube. Anyway, bibs are very
    comfy to me, though the "half shorts" are nice too. FWIW, then, I recommend ignoring the
    fearmongering about normal skin flora and just keep the friction down. This year Assos is moving all
    their shorts to the new stretch synthetic "chamois". I tried this new material in an FI-13 short and
    was not impressed. It's a damn chamois cream sponge.

    --
    Robin Hubert <[email protected]