Show of hands: who carries a camera when cycling?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by C.J.Patten, Jun 20, 2005.

  1. daren

    daren Guest

    I take my Canon G5 on some rides. It has much of the versatility you
    might be looking for (F2 lens, manual exposure, adjustable flash power
    etc...). Of course it isn't exactly small or compact, but the quality
    is there (if you avoid bright edges into the sun).

    I do miss my 24mm Nikkor, but wide and (compact) digital don't yet gel.

    regards
    daren
    --
    remove outer garment for reply

  2. bugbear

    bugbear Guest

    C.J.Patten wrote:
    > "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>which one do you have? Mine is too big to bother with on the bike. If it
    >>were the size of my iPod Shuffle....
    >>

    > Bought a used Canon A60.
    > Here's the skinny: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/a60.html

    Watch out for reliability. I had trouble, and others have too.
    The zoom/focus mechanism in particular is super-prone
    to dirt, causing an "E18" error. I would recommend
    a GOOD case, and carrying "decoupled" from the
    (vibration of the) frame.

    OTOH - great camera, great price, great features, great photos.

    I just bought it's grandson - the A510, successor to the A75,
    successor to the A60.

    BugBear

  3. In article <[email protected]>,
    "daren" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I take my Canon G5 on some rides. It has much of the versatility you
    > might be looking for (F2 lens, manual exposure, adjustable flash power
    > etc...). Of course it isn't exactly small or compact, but the quality
    > is there (if you avoid bright edges into the sun).
    >
    > I do miss my 24mm Nikkor, but wide and (compact) digital don't yet gel.
    >
    > regards
    > daren
    > --
    > remove outer garment for reply

    I'm not sure if a wide-angle adapter lens is available for the G5, but I
    suspect so, as the Canon A-series has one. Olympus does offer the
    C-5050, a "wide zoom", and there are a few other non-SLR digitals with
    3-4x lenses that are biased to the wide end, though I doubt many start
    below a 28mm (35mm equivalent) lens.

    ObCam: I have a little Nikon Coolpix 2500, a wildly outdated little
    thing which is reasonably small, reasonably good, and protects its lens
    very well. That last is an important feature for me.

  4. bryanska

    bryanska Guest

    Here's a blog entry from my MS 150 ride. Nice photos and a video of a
    waterfall during the ride.

  5. C.J.Patten

    C.J.Patten Guest

    "Pete Biggs" <[email protected]{remove_melon}.tc> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > I will carry one too after getting a compact digi at long last. It'll
    > make my rides much longer... timewise, that is
    >
    > I miss the versatility and quality of my old SLR but that is too big &
    > heavy to carry on the road bike at all (without a lot of bother).

    I hear you. I'm definately an old-school SLR guy - worked as a nature &
    wildlife photographer for a while - but it's a bit inconvenient.

    I'm consistantly impressed with the Canon line of Digital rangefinder
    cameras. The "A" series (A40 through A95 I think) seem to all have full
    manual modes - real enthusiasts cameras. :)

    Now that I've got that huge rear rack to work with, I'll have room for a
    DSLR when I can afford one. ;)

    BTW: THANK YOU to everyone posting their links! Wonderful pictures - keep em
    coming! :D

    Chris

  6. bryanska

    bryanska Guest

  7. C.J.Patten

    C.J.Patten Guest

    "bugbear" <[email protected]_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Watch out for reliability. I had trouble, and others have too.

    Thanks for the heads up... I'll keep it well protected!

    C.

  8. Hey, I was 59yo when that pic

    http://members.aol.com/dnvrfox?/fambicy.htm

    was taken several years ago. It was on Ride the Rockies between Ward
    and Estes Park on the Peak to Peak Highway, and it was taken
    professionally.

    Have to get a more recent decet photo somewhere, now that I am 65.

  9. C.J.Patten wrote:

    > Having just gotten my hands on a digital camera (my first still camera in a
    > few years) I'm happy to find it fits perfectly in my seat-bag along with the
    > break-away gear! 8D

    Rarely. I have a pair of screw-mount Leicas and the sure-fire way to
    cock up the rangefinder adjustment is to carry them on a bicycle. They
    can't take the vibration.

  10. Fritz M

    Fritz M Guest

    C.J.Patten wrote:

    > Anyone have any cycling photos of their own to post?

    I often carry a camera with me when I'm on bike, usually my Olympus
    C3020. My most recent on-bike photo essay starring nearly 500 roadies
    on a group ride is at:

    http://www.masoner.net/photos/bike/kornfield/

    Somebody mentioned taking photos from the bike toward the rear. I just
    point the camera blindly behind me and sometimes I get lucky. A couple
    of images in the kornfield series were done that way.

    RFM

  11. Bob Anderson

    Bob Anderson Guest

    On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 19:56:44 -0400, "C.J.Patten"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Show of hands: who carries a camera when cycling?

    Canon Powershot Digital Elph S410. Small, takes nice pictures,
    fits in the back pocket of my jersey, or bike bag.
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/s410.html

    Lots of Digital Elphs to pick from these days, nice sturdy little
    camera, quality shots, good color.

    Never know when a good shot will present itself, or might ride
    into an interesting event, or even become one. I try to have it
    with me most of the time, on or off the bike.

    :)

    ---
    "BitwiseBob" - Bob Anderson
    Eugene Oregon

  12. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    Fritz M wrote:
    > C.J.Patten wrote:
    >
    > > Anyone have any cycling photos of their own to post?

    > I often carry a camera with me when I'm on bike, usually my Olympus
    > C3020. My most recent on-bike photo essay starring nearly 500 roadies
    > on a group ride is at:
    >
    > http://www.masoner.net/photos/bike/kornfield/
    >
    > Somebody mentioned taking photos from the bike toward the rear. I just
    > point the camera blindly behind me and sometimes I get lucky. A couple
    > of images in the kornfield series were done that way.

    Or with the subjects saying 'left, right, up, down' as appropriate..
    Thats how I have managed to get a few nice pics more than the 'blind
    point behind' method.

    ...d

    > RFM

  13. Mark McNeill

    Mark McNeill Guest

    Response to Leo Lichtman:
    > Is that a 4 x 5? Just wait...maybe you will be able to get a digital "film
    > holder" before long.

    That's a 10x8; the sheer size of it (not to mention the other bits to
    carry along) was the main problem on a bike, necessitating a big
    backpack and a lot of care; needless to say, I never went very far with
    it on a bike. Come to think of it, it should fit into the panniers I
    have at the moment, if ever I wanted to try it again.

    The Wista really was one of those once- or twice-in-a-lifetime bargains;
    about a week after I decided to look for a 10x8 camera, I saw the ad,
    priced cheap for a quick sale. Long before the days of Ebay. ;-)

    Before then, I used to use an MPP 5x4 -

    http://www.mppusers.freeuk.com/micropressintbk.jpg

    which in several ways resembled a leather-covered lead ingot. Cycling
    home from a friend's house with it in the backpack, I hit a bad camber
    and a greasy road, and went straight over, falling right on the camera.
    I hurt for a week; the MPP was undamaged, natch.

    --
    Mark, UK

    "For men become civilized, not in proportion to their willingness to
    believe, but in their readiness to doubt."

  14. Mark McNeill

    Mark McNeill Guest

    Response to C.J.Patten:
    > (I still have a medium format camera and an old 35mm Voigtlander here.)

    I really, really wanted a good rangefinder (had a few bad ones...), and
    was always on the lookout for a bargain; if I was going to get back into
    film photography, that's the sort of thing I'd go for.

    --
    Mark, UK

    "Principles aren't of much account anyway, except at election time. After
    that you hang them up to let them season."

  15. > "Fritz M" <[email protected]> wrote
    > C.J.Patten wrote:
    >
    >> Anyone have any cycling photos of their own to post?

    Yes, mainly of the lanes in Somerset, Dorset, Wiltshire.

    http://www.dlowther.demon.co.uk/phcyc257.htm

    Anyone know what the structure in the above photo is ?

    I think the door in the top left wall is about the size of a
    normal house door, so that would make the walls perhaps
    8 feet high. There are no other buildings close by.

    Best guess is an ex walled garden.

    Dave.

  16. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, David Lowther
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    >> "Fritz M" <[email protected]> wrote
    >> C.J.Patten wrote:
    >>
    >>> Anyone have any cycling photos of their own to post?

    > Yes, mainly of the lanes in Somerset, Dorset, Wiltshire.
    >
    > http://www.dlowther.demon.co.uk/phcyc257.htm
    >
    > Anyone know what the structure in the above photo is ?
    >
    > I think the door in the top left wall is about the size of a
    > normal house door, so that would make the walls perhaps
    > 8 feet high. There are no other buildings close by.
    >
    > Best guess is an ex walled garden.

    That's exactly what it is. It there a nearby Big Hoose? Even if there
    isn't, that's what it is. If you're into market gardening or
    nurserying, it would be a good place to rent, both because of the
    shelter provided by the walls and because the soil inside will have
    been intensively worked for generations and that goodness will not all
    be gone.

    ;; When your hammer is C++, everything begins to look like a thumb.

  17. Mark McNeill wrote:

    > Response to C.J.Patten:
    > > (I still have a medium format camera and an old 35mm Voigtlander here.)

    > I really, really wanted a good rangefinder (had a few bad ones...), and
    > was always on the lookout for a bargain; if I was going to get back into
    > film photography, that's the sort of thing I'd go for.

    It's a bit out of date since I've been offline for two weeks, but I
    have been carrying a recently acquired Canonet QL17 early 1970s
    rangefinder in my bike bag. It's lens is decent and it's lighter and
    more compact than an SLR. I've got a 4x5, but haven't tried biking
    with it...

    Rob Dean

  18. citizen142

    citizen142 Guest