shrink-swrapped helmets??

Timote

Guest
( sorry if this has already been covered)

been noticing many of the pro helmets in the TTs are tightly
covered in a plastic film.. oviously for aerodynamics-
anyone know exactly what this stuff is?

sandwich bags? laminating machine? or if it is plastic wrap,
should I save money and go with the bargain style, or go all
out with the glad wrap?

just curious.

"Timote" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> ( sorry if this has already been covered)
>

> been noticing many of the pro helmets in the TTs are
> tightly covered in a plastic film.. oviously for aerodynamics-
> anyone know exactly what this
stuff
> is?
>
> sandwich bags? laminating machine? or if it is plastic
> wrap, should I save money and go with the bargain
style, or
> go all out with the glad wrap?

I was hoping that the Freds would start foaming about
helmets when Daddy Yo-Yo unveils his new lid at the Tour
prologue. Sadly, even plastic wrapping the vents shut to
stay warm is enough to bring them out.

Timote, get the thinnest, most expensive plastic wrap you
can find. You'll save 5 grams over Saran Wrap.

On 14 Mar 2004 13:24:47 GMT, [email protected] (Timote) wrote:

>( sorry if this has already been covered)
>

>been noticing many of the pro helmets in the TTs are
>tightly covered in a plastic film.. oviously for aerodynamics-
>anyone know exactly what this stuff is?
>
>sandwich bags? laminating machine? or if it is plastic
>wrap, should I save money and go with the bargain style, or
>go all out with the glad wrap?
>
>just curious.

Goes back a long way. See this pick of my Dad from 1961

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stephenmcginty/dad_hoban_61.jpg

That's multi TdF stage winner Barry Hoban on his wheel.
Check his helmet - cellophane covered.

Regards! Stephen

Ha-

sweet- thanks for the tip! I'm going back to the store for
the thin stuff-

not really planning on saranning the helmet just yet- I just
noticed this trend recently- it was, shall i say..
intriguing....

>I was hoping that the Freds would start foaming about
>helmets when Daddy Yo-Yo unveils his new lid at the Tour
>prologue. Sadly, even plastic wrapping the vents shut to
>stay warm is enough to bring them out.
>
>Timote, get the thinnest, most expensive plastic wrap you
>can find. You'll save 5 grams over Saran Wrap.

Timote <[email protected]> wrote:
> sandwich bags? laminating machine? or if it is plastic
> wrap, should I save money and go with the bargain style,
> or go all out with the glad wrap?

I'd go high end and get a swim cap.

Bob Schwartz [email protected]

[email protected] (Timote) wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> ( sorry if this has already been covered)
>

> been noticing many of the pro helmets in the TTs are
> tightly covered in a plastic film.. oviously for aerodynamics-
> anyone know exactly what this stuff is?
>
> sandwich bags? laminating machine? or if it is plastic
> wrap, should I save money and go with the bargain style,
> or go all out with the glad wrap?
>
> just curious.

Drug delivery system. Air passing over the wrap provides a
slow and steady mixture directly into the bloodstream below
the scalp. And to boot no kit in the hotel, just cases of
saran wrap.

On 14 Mar 2004 20:28:34 -0800, [email protected] (WooGoogle) wrote:

>Steve McGinty <[email protected]> wrote
>in message
>news:<[email protected]>...
>

>> Goes back a long way. See this pick of my Dad from 1961
>>
>> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stephenmcginty/dad_hoban-
>> _61.jpg
>>
>> That's multi TdF stage winner Barry Hoban on his wheel.
>> Check his helmet - cellophane covered.
>>
>> Regards! Stephen
>
>What are those triangular cloth things covering the top of
>the shorts at the waist?

Their numbers - a sort of tie-round back-to-front apron
affair. I spotted something similar in some of the pics of
theTasmanian Wheel Races at Xmas.

Regards! Stephen

[email protected] (Timote) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> ( sorry if this has already been covered)
>

> been noticing many of the pro helmets in the TTs are
> tightly covered in a plastic film.. oviously for aerodynamics-
> anyone know exactly what this stuff is?
>
> sandwich bags? laminating machine? or if it is plastic
> wrap, should I save money and go with the bargain style,
> or go all out with the glad wrap?
>
> just curious.

I believe you are refering to a plastic shell that BELL
Helmets makes and gives to the Pro and Elite Amateur teams.
They are simply a thin plastic that is made to fit the
helmet. They only require a few small pieces of tape to
hold them on. IF you go back and look at all the pics you
will see that most if not all the riders are riding Bell or
Giro helmets.

I have never seen the plastic shells for sell, but i have
few I would sell you...

thanks, jason

Jason Waddell wrote:

> I believe you are refering to a plastic shell that BELL
> Helmets makes and gives to the Pro and Elite Amateur
> teams. They are simply a thin plastic that is made to fit
> the helmet. They only require a few small pieces of tape
> to hold them on. IF you go back and look at all the pics
> you will see that most if not all the riders are riding
> Bell or Giro helmets.
>
> I have never seen the plastic shells for sell, but i have
> few I would sell you...

Any windtunnel data comparing the shells with duct tape?

Just wondering.

Dan

Kyle Legate <[email protected]> wrote:

> I was hoping that the Freds would start foaming about
> helmets when Daddy Yo-Yo unveils his new lid at the Tour
> prologue. Sadly, even plastic wrapping the vents shut to
> stay warm is enough to bring them out.

> Timote, get the thinnest, most expensive plastic wrap you
> can find. You'll save 5 grams over Saran Wrap.

It really helps to use aluminum foil to block the mind
control rays.

-Bobby Fischer
USCF master

P.S. Here's a sneak preview of Lance's new aerohat:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=5807-
8&item=3665843491

[email protected] (Jason Waddell) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (Timote) wrote in message news:<20040314082447.09437.00001520@mb-
> m12.aol.com>...
> > ( sorry if this has already been covered)
> >

> > been noticing many of the pro helmets in the TTs are
> > tightly covered in a plastic film.. oviously for aerodynamics-
> > anyone know exactly what this stuff is?
> >
> > sandwich bags? laminating machine? or if it is plastic
> > wrap, should I save money and go with the bargain style,
> > or go all out with the glad wrap?
> >
> > just curious.
>
> I believe you are refering to a plastic shell that BELL
> Helmets makes and gives to the Pro and Elite Amateur
> teams. They are simply a thin plastic that is made to fit
> the helmet. They only require a few small pieces of tape
> to hold them on. IF you go back and look at all the pics
> you will see that most if not all the riders are riding
> Bell or Giro helmets.
>
> I have never seen the plastic shells for sell, but i have
> few I would sell you...
>

> thanks, jason

http://www.carrerasport.com/base_prod_frame_h.htm

If you can get through the Flash maze at the Carrera site,
you can find their "Energy" helmet under "Bike Helmets".
Then in "Accessories", they have the "Shell A.W.P Engergy".
These types of things are fairly common up in Seattle - more
for the fact that they keep the rain from cascading down
your face on a wet RR.

-a

Dan Connelly <djconnel@i_e_e_e._o_r_g> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Jason Waddell wrote:
> >
> > I believe you are refering to a plastic shell that BELL
> > Helmets makes and gives to the Pro and Elite Amateur
> > teams. They are simply a thin plastic that is made to
> > fit the helmet. They only require a few small pieces of
> > tape to hold them on. IF you go back and look at all the
> > pics you will see that most if not all the riders are
> > riding Bell or Giro helmets.
> >
> > I have never seen the plastic shells for sell, but i
> > have few I would sell you...
> >

> Any windtunnel data comparing the shells with duct tape?
>
> Just wondering.
>
> Dan

Dan,

I have a 347 page document detailing the scientific data
that I collected at the NorthWestern Wyoming Techinical
Institute of Bovine Research that will in fact prove that
Scotch tape is more aero than duct tape. The data collected
using their state of the art wind tunnel lab was invaulable
for my research. Upon review of my power numbers, aero drag
coefficient and other big words that you and Coggan like to
use and Warren pretends to understand I found that...

I have exhaustive data proving that I will never win a TT
longer than 2km.

best, jason

Originally posted by Jason Waddell
[email protected] (Timote) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> ( sorry if this has already been covered)
>

> been noticing many of the pro helmets in the TTs are
> tightly covered in a plastic film.. oviously for aerodynamics-
> anyone know exactly what this stuff is?
>
> sandwich bags? laminating machine? or if it is plastic
> wrap, should I save money and go with the bargain style,
> or go all out with the glad wrap?
>
> just curious.

I believe you are refering to a plastic shell that BELL
Helmets makes and gives to the Pro and Elite Amateur teams.
They are simply a thin plastic that is made to fit the
helmet. They only require a few small pieces of tape to
hold them on. IF you go back and look at all the pics you
will see that most if not all the riders are riding Bell or
Giro helmets.

I have never seen the plastic shells for sell, but i have
few I would sell you...

thanks, jason

And to think all this time I've been putting packing tape on my helmet vents...

Jason Waddell wrote:

> Dan,
>
> I have a 347 page document detailing the scientific data
> that I collected at the NorthWestern Wyoming Techinical
> Institute of Bovine Research that will in fact prove that
> Scotch tape is more aero than duct tape. The data
> collected using their state of the art wind tunnel lab was
> invaulable for my research. Upon review of my power
> numbers, aero drag coefficient and other big words that
> you and Coggan like to use and Warren pretends to
> understand I found that...
>
> I have exhaustive data proving that I will never win a TT
> longer than 2km.
>
> best, jason

Excellent.

Dan

"Dan Connelly" <djconnel@i_e_e_e_._o_r_g> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Jason Waddell wrote:
> >
> > Dan,
> >
> > I have a 347 page document detailing the scientific data
> > that I collected at the NorthWestern Wyoming Techinical
> > Institute of Bovine Research that will in fact prove
> > that Scotch tape is more aero than duct tape. The data
> > collected using their state of the art wind tunnel lab
> > was invaulable for my research. Upon review of my power
> > numbers, aero drag coefficient and other big words that
> > you and Coggan like to use and Warren pretends to
> > understand I found that...
> >
> > I have exhaustive data proving that I will never win a
> > TT longer than 2km.
> >
> > best, jason
>
> Excellent.

Ditto.

Andy Coggan

actually you can use some saran wrap, put it on the helmet
and cut to size, use some tape to hold down the edges and
then take your hairdryer and slowly warm the saran wrap. It
will skrink and conform to the size and shape of the helmet.

but don't get it too hot.

you might want to practice this routine once or twice before
you actually use it, it can be quite frustrating the night
before a TT in a hotel room...

Jason Waddell <[email protected]> wrote:
> actually you can use some saran wrap, put it on the
> helmet and cut to size, use some tape to hold down the
> edges and then take your hairdryer and slowly warm the
> saran wrap. It will skrink and conform to the size and
> shape of the helmet.

> but don't get it too hot.

> you might want to practice this routine once or twice
> before you actually use it, it can be quite frustrating
> the night before a TT in a hotel room...

Swim caps!!

Bob Schwartz [email protected]

Get a Louis Garneau.

James