Silca floor pump: broke the plastic backing nut

Peter McCallum

Guest
I wonder whether anyone knows what I can do to replace the broken
plastic nut at the back of the leather washer on my Silca floor pump. My
LBS says he can't get that part from the distributor.

I thought maybe a steel nut and washer might do the trick. The locking
nut in front of the washer uses a 17mm spanner, so what I need is a flat
nut with the same thread and a suitable washer. Any ideas where I'd find
such a thing.

Peter

--
Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

Peter McCallum wrote:
> I wonder whether anyone knows what I can do to replace the broken
> plastic nut at the back of the leather washer on my Silca floor pump. My
> LBS says he can't get that part from the distributor.
>
> I thought maybe a steel nut and washer might do the trick. The locking
> nut in front of the washer uses a 17mm spanner, so what I need is a flat
> nut with the same thread and a suitable washer. Any ideas where I'd find
> such a thing.
>
> Peter
>
> --
> Peter McCallum
> Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

See if you can work out the number of threads per inch (TPI) and the
outside diameter and we'll tell you what thread it is.

Marty

Peter McCallum wrote:
> I wonder whether anyone knows what I can do to replace the broken
> plastic nut at the back of the leather washer on my Silca floor pump. My
> LBS says he can't get that part from the distributor.
>
> I thought maybe a steel nut and washer might do the trick. The locking
> nut in front of the washer uses a 17mm spanner, so what I need is a flat
> nut with the same thread and a suitable washer. Any ideas where I'd find
> such a thing.
>
> Peter

Use a nyluck nut if you can get one with the same thread. It woll be
fine.

Nut and bolt shop. WHere are you?

Peter McCallum wrote:
> I wonder whether anyone knows what I can do to replace the broken
> plastic nut at the back of the leather washer on my Silca floor pump. My
> LBS says he can't get that part from the distributor.
>
> I thought maybe a steel nut and washer might do the trick. The locking
> nut in front of the washer uses a 17mm spanner, so what I need is a flat
> nut with the same thread and a suitable washer. Any ideas where I'd find
> such a thing.
>
> Peter

Sorry Mackay. Oops :)

ummm look for them in the phone book. THe bolt bloke something like
that.

dave <[email protected]> wrote:

> Peter McCallum wrote:
> > I wonder whether anyone knows what I can do to replace the broken
> > plastic nut at the back of the leather washer on my Silca floor pump. My
> > LBS says he can't get that part from the distributor.
> >
> > I thought maybe a steel nut and washer might do the trick. The locking
> > nut in front of the washer uses a 17mm spanner, so what I need is a flat
> > nut with the same thread and a suitable washer. Any ideas where I'd find
> > such a thing.
> >
> > Peter
> >

> Sorry Mackay. Oops :)
>
> ummm look for them in the phone book. THe bolt bloke something like
> that.

Thanks, I'll have a look around.

Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

Peter McCallum wrote:
> dave <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Peter McCallum wrote:
>>
>>>I wonder whether anyone knows what I can do to replace the broken
>>>plastic nut at the back of the leather washer on my Silca floor pump. My
>>>LBS says he can't get that part from the distributor.
>>>
>>>I thought maybe a steel nut and washer might do the trick. The locking
>>>nut in front of the washer uses a 17mm spanner, so what I need is a flat
>>>nut with the same thread and a suitable washer. Any ideas where I'd find
>>>such a thing.
>>>
>>>Peter
>>>

>>Sorry Mackay. Oops :)
>>
>>ummm look for them in the phone book. THe bolt bloke something like
>>that.

> Thanks, I'll have a look around.

Unless you are pretty sure of the thread take the thing in. They will
be fine with that. They might even have the right nylon nut.
Failing that nylock will do.

Peter McCallum wrote:
> I wonder whether anyone knows what I can do to replace the broken
> plastic nut at the back of the leather washer on my Silca floor pump. My
> LBS says he can't get that part from the distributor.
>
> I thought maybe a steel nut and washer might do the trick. The locking
> nut in front of the washer uses a 17mm spanner, so what I need is a flat
> nut with the same thread and a suitable washer. Any ideas where I'd find
> such a thing.
>
> Peter
>
> --
> Peter McCallum
> Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

If it's the part I think it is I got one from a LBS in Brisbane but it
was probably about 5 years ago, maybe they don't bring them into
Australia anymore. I'm sure you could find one online overseas
somewhere.

Bruce.

Bruce Dickson <[email protected]> wrote:

> Peter McCallum wrote:
> > I wonder whether anyone knows what I can do to replace the broken
> > plastic nut at the back of the leather washer on my Silca floor pump. My
> > LBS says he can't get that part from the distributor.
> >
> > I thought maybe a steel nut and washer might do the trick. The locking
> > nut in front of the washer uses a 17mm spanner, so what I need is a flat
> > nut with the same thread and a suitable washer. Any ideas where I'd find
> > such a thing.
> >
> > Peter
> >
> > --
> > Peter McCallum
> > Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

> If it's the part I think it is I got one from a LBS in Brisbane but it
> was probably about 5 years ago, maybe they don't bring them into
> Australia anymore. I'm sure you could find one online overseas
> somewhere.
>
> Bruce.

Yeah, I ordered something that I think might be the part from a US
website. Cost US$1.88 but they didn't say how much the freight charges
will be (probably ten times the unit price is my guess). Hopefully it
will fit. In the meantime I'll try to find a nut and washer or nylex nut
that works.

Peter
--
Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

Peter McCallum wrote:

> Yeah, I ordered something that I think might be the part from a US
> website. Cost US$1.88 but they didn't say how much the freight charges
> will be (probably ten times the unit price is my guess). Hopefully it
> will fit. In the meantime I'll try to find a nut and washer or nylex nut
> that works.
>
> Peter
> --
> Peter McCallum
> Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

Generally I've found US shops tend to have high freight charges even
for small orders, on the other hand UK ones are pretty good with
posting small orders cheaply. Royal Mail, maybe cheaper because they
didn't spend money sponsoring a pro bike team.

Bruce.

Bruce Dickson <[email protected]> wrote:
> Royal Mail, maybe cheaper because they
> didn't spend money sponsoring a pro bike team.
>
> Bruce.

Neither doe the USPS from what I recall. Royal Mail probably sponsers a
polo club and horse racing stable.

--
Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

[email protected] (Peter McCallum) wrote in
news:1gz9zg0.199z0wudbn1iwN%[email protected]:

> I wonder whether anyone knows what I can do to replace the broken
> plastic nut at the back of the leather washer on my Silca floor pump.
> My LBS says he can't get that part from the distributor.
>
> I thought maybe a steel nut and washer might do the trick. The locking
> nut in front of the washer uses a 17mm spanner, so what I need is a
> flat nut with the same thread and a suitable washer. Any ideas where
> I'd find such a thing.
>
> Peter

Look for a nut and bolt supplier. I think there is one on Paradise
Street (near the saw doctor). Or he might have moved to Enterprise
Street. I'm pretty sure he's somewhere in Mackay Sth.

Where do you live in Mackay?

Cheers

BrettM

"Peter McCallum" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:1gz9zg0.199z0wudbn1iwN%[email protected]...
> I wonder whether anyone knows what I can do to replace the broken
> plastic nut at the back of the leather washer on my Silca floor pump. My
> LBS says he can't get that part from the distributor.
>
> I thought maybe a steel nut and washer might do the trick. The locking
> nut in front of the washer uses a 17mm spanner, so what I need is a flat
> nut with the same thread and a suitable washer. Any ideas where I'd find
> such a thing.
>
> Peter
>
> --
> Peter McCallum
> Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

My understanding was that you could get any Silca parts replaced for their
floor pumps (this is why I ended up spending the extra on a Silca). Have
you asked at any other LBSs?? I guess I will just have to hope that nothing
breaks on mine now (5 years and going strong).

Gags

Gags <gags_44nospamatnospamtpg.com.au> wrote:>
> My understanding was that you could get any Silca parts replaced for their
> floor pumps (this is why I ended up spending the extra on a Silca). Have
> you asked at any other LBSs?? I guess I will just have to hope that nothing
> breaks on mine now (5 years and going strong).
>
> Gags

The shop I went to was the only one in town stocking Silca pumps when I
bought it. He said that there are only a few parts available from the
distributor. On the US websites there appear to be a full range of
spares, hopefully at a reasonable cost.

Peter
--
Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

BrettM <[email protected]> wrote:
> Look for a nut and bolt supplier. I think there is one on Paradise
> Street (near the saw doctor). Or he might have moved to Enterprise
> Street. I'm pretty sure he's somewhere in Mackay Sth.
>
> Where do you live in Mackay?
>
> Cheers
>
> BrettM

I work down that way. I'll have a look.

Peter
--
Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

If you are still looking I found 4 of those white plastic silca thingy's
that always break in our stocktake/ shop move.
Can put in a envelope for about $5 each , I guess. Just send us an email.
Steve
www.ideal1984.blogspot.com

dave wrote:
> Peter McCallum wrote:

>> Thanks, I'll have a look around.

> Unless you are pretty sure of the thread take the thing in. They will
> be fine with that. They might even have the right nylon nut.
> Failing that nylock will do.

Traditionally, pumps have brass nuts. It's probably a metric nut. Take the
shaft to a nut and bolt shop (not Bunnings) and they'll have one for you. Or
do what I do, find a mate with a lathe and he'll turn one up in a few
minutes. Or, if you have as many mates as Roger Bratton, go to any small
machine shop.

Theo

Steve <[email protected]> wrote:

> If you are still looking I found 4 of those white plastic silca thingy's
> that always break in our stocktake/ shop move.
> Can put in a envelope for about $5 each , I guess. Just send us an email.
> Steve
> www.ideal1984.blogspot.com

Great. I'll email you.

Peter McCallum