Silly helmet poll on BBC..

On 14 Aug 2006 03:54:12 -0700 someone who may be "David Martin"
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>Get over there and give 'em what for (or what against tbe more to the
>point)..
>
>http://www.bbc.co.uk/leicester/content/articles/2006/08/08/cycling_helmet_feature.shtml

If one blocks the cookie the site tries to set then one can vote as
many times as one feels like. Vote early, vote often.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>Get over there and give 'em what for (or what against tbe more to the
>point)..
>
>http://www.bbc.co.uk/leicester/content/articles/2006/08/08/cycling_helmet_feature.shtml

Cycle helmets seems to be something this bit of the BBC is
promoting, whether for everyone or just children they don't say.
They helpfully give the following information for those that would
like to give them feedback.

* Tel: 0116 201 6644 or you can leave us a message out of
office hours
* E-mail:[email protected]
* By post: CSV Action Desk, BBC Radio Leicester, 9 St Nicholas
Place, Leicester. LE1 5LB.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

David Hansen wrote:

If one blocks the cookie the site tries to set then one can vote as
> many times as one feels like.

thanks for that

Eric Martlew ;-)

David Martin wrote:
> Get over there and give 'em what for (or what against tbe more to the
> point)..
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/leicester/content/articles/2006/08/08/cycling_helmet_feature.shtml
>
> ..d

"to hear how a helmet can prevent you from serious injury"

"change the break pads"

Hmmm, I was rather under the impression that English was one of the
core competencies of journalists. If this is the best they can manage
then I don't hold much hope for their information on helmets.

Tim.

David Hansen said the following on 14/08/2006 12:04:

> If one blocks the cookie the site tries to set then one can vote as
> many times as one feels like. Vote early, vote often.

Oh, is that why I couldn't see the results despite clicking "No" then
"Vote" many times? ;-)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

On 14 Aug 2006 04:49:43 -0700 someone who may be
"[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote this:-

>"change the break pads"
>
>Hmmm, I was rather under the impression that English was one of the
>core competencies of journalists.

I see that they have now changed break to brake. Either someone has
told them directly, or they are following the discussion here.

>If this is the best they can manage
>then I don't hold much hope for their information on helmets.

Indeed.

It is sad really. With the exception of the helmet **** it looks
like they have done a reasonable job of doing something on cycling.
The only major thing missing is training. However, they had to spoil
all that with the helmet **** at the start of the article. Perhaps
BSHIT are expanding their sphere of operations, or they got advice
from well known anti-cycling organisations like the Department for
Roads, police or ROSPA.

It will take rather more than BBC Radio Leicester to demonstrate how
a helmet can prevent serious injury.

BTW, I am pleased to see that http://www.bhit.org.uk brings up an
anti-BEHIT blogger. Not much on it recently, but congratulations to
whoever it is who has done it.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

David Hansen wrote:
> On 14 Aug 2006 03:54:12 -0700 someone who may be "David Martin"
> <[email protected]> wrote this:-
>
>> Get over there and give 'em what for (or what against tbe
>> more to the point)..
>>
>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/leicester/content/articles/2006/08/08/cycling_helmet_feature.shtml

> If one blocks the cookie the site tries to set then one can
> vote as many times as one feels like. Vote early, vote often.

When I looked this morning it was 74% no. Now this afternoon it's 90%
no
Someone has been busy.
--
Cheers
the.Mark

the.Mark wrote:
> When I looked this morning it was 74% no. Now this afternoon it's 90%
> no
> Someone has been busy.

The troops have been mobilised ;-)

...d

"David Hansen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 14 Aug 2006 03:54:12 -0700 someone who may be "David Martin"
> <[email protected]> wrote this:-
>
>>Get over there and give 'em what for (or what against tbe more to the
>>point)..
>>
>>http://www.bbc.co.uk/leicester/content/articles/2006/08/08/cycling_helmet_feature.shtml

> If one blocks the cookie the site tries to set then one can vote as
> many times as one feels like. Vote early, vote often.

Except that they will also log your IP address, so they'll just report that
cyclists really are naughty.

elyob wrote:

> Except that they will also log your IP address, so they'll just report that
> cyclists really are naughty.

Doesn't always tell you anything useful. Most people voting from here
(Uni of York) will come from one of four IPs.

--
Arthur Clune

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 15:48:30 +0100 someone who may be "elyob"
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>Except that they will also log your IP address,

They can try. However, all they are likely to get is a public IP
address, behind which could be from one to thousands of computers.

>so they'll just report that cyclists really are naughty.

Mass media outlets want feedback, they are getting it. They might
whine if the feedback does not fit their prejudices, but so what?

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Arthur Clune said the following on 14/08/2006 15:52:
> elyob wrote:
>
>>Except that they will also log your IP address, so they'll just report that
>>cyclists really are naughty.

> Doesn't always tell you anything useful. Most people voting from here
> (Uni of York) will come from one of four IPs.

Ditto - the work address has several PCs all connected through one IP
address. The multiple votes from that single IP address all came from
individual people on separate PCs, of course. ;-)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

"David Martin" <[email protected]> wrote:
| the.Mark wrote:
| > When I looked this morning it was 74% no. Now this afternoon it's 90%
| > no
| > Someone has been busy.
|
| The troops have been mobilised ;-)

Dunno. That's consistent with only about 37 people
having voted "no" since this morning. Not much of
an audience for a high-traffic website.

On 14/08/2006 17:06, Geraint Jones said,

> Dunno. That's consistent with only about 37 people
> having voted "no" since this morning. Not much of
> an audience for a high-traffic website.

Something wrong with the maths there - when I looked at around 4:30 this
afternoon there were something like 1100 votes cast.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Geraint Jones wrote:

>"David Martin" <[email protected]> wrote:
>| the.Mark wrote:
>| > When I looked this morning it was 74% no. Now this afternoon it's 90%
>| > no
>| > Someone has been busy.
>|
>| The troops have been mobilised ;-)
>
>Dunno. That's consistent with only about 37 people
>having voted "no" since this morning. Not much of
>an audience for a high-traffic website.

It's now like this

Vote
Should wearing a helmet when cycling be made law?
1: Yes (7%)
2: No (93%)

Total votes so far: 1186

Arthur Clune wrote:
> elyob wrote:
>> Except that they will also log your IP address, so they'll just report that
>> cyclists really are naughty.

> Doesn't always tell you anything useful. Most people voting from here
> (Uni of York) will come from one of four IPs.

Don't *all* .ac.uk folks still share a small pool of proxies you'll be
coming from?

And of course - famously - the world's biggest ISP-of-sorts (AOL)
has tens of millions of subscribers coming from a small pool of IPs.
Etcetera.

--
not me guv

Nick Kew wrote:
> Arthur Clune wrote:
> > elyob wrote:
> >> Except that they will also log your IP address, so they'll just report that
> >> cyclists really are naughty.

> > Doesn't always tell you anything useful. Most people voting from here
> > (Uni of York) will come from one of four IPs.
> >

> Don't *all* .ac.uk folks still share a small pool of proxies you'll be
> coming from?

No. It depends on the set up at the individual institution. Until about
two years ago every desktop/server here was on the net directly so had
an individual IP. Now we will go out through a set of four IPs for the
thousand or so boxen in life sci. Other institutes will be different.

...d