Single Most Important Upgrade?

kaikane

Jul 2, 2005
artmichalek said:
It was based on what the original poster said, "I'm not sure I want to start keeping records of BPM's etc."

i'm a pretty casual cyclist. i love my bike and i love cycling but i'm not really trying to compete or anything like that. i'm a middle-aged guy trying to keep the belly at bay by doing what i love: surfing, cycling, and digging deep holes in my garden. :)

frenchyge

Apr 3, 2005
kaikane said:
i'm a middle-aged guy trying to keep the belly at bay by doing what i love: surfing, cycling, and digging deep holes in my garden. :)
Now there are 3 activities that should be combined into some kind of extreme sport... :D

artmichalek

Sep 15, 2004
frenchyge said:
Now there are 3 activities that should be combined into some kind of extreme sport... :D
I've got a feeling that if you started riding around with a big shovel strapped to your back the cars would leave you alone.

frenchyge

Apr 3, 2005
artmichalek said:
I've got a feeling that if you started riding around with a big shovel strapped to your back the cars would leave you alone.
They'd have to give you some room, just to get around the surfboard.

Doctor Morbius

Mar 15, 2004
frenchyge said:
I've seen something like that on OLN. They have all of the "other" sporting events that ESPN doesn't want to carry, such as target shooting while unicycling. :D

artmichalek

Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Morbius said:
They have all of the "other" sporting events that ESPN doesn't want to carry, such as target shooting while unicycling. :D
It's not that ESPN doesn't want to show people shooting from unicyles. It's just that twelve hours a week of intense spelling bee action doesn't leave much time for it.;)

kaikane

Jul 2, 2005
artmichalek said:
Quelle idee!
And if I did start racing, I'm sure I could bury the competition.
or at least hit 'em over the head when they aren't looking.

kaikane

Jul 2, 2005
artmichalek said:
It's not that ESPN doesn't want to show people shooting from unicyles. It's just that twelve hours a week of intense spelling bee action doesn't leave much time for it.;)

And don't forget my favorite: PBR

Don Shipp

May 20, 2005
kaikane said:
i'm a pretty casual cyclist. i love my bike and i love cycling but i'm not really trying to compete or anything like that. i'm a middle-aged guy trying to keep the belly at bay by doing what i love: surfing, cycling, and digging deep holes in my garden. :)
If you are cycling for fitness you should be downgrading your bike; soft heavy tyres, inefficient drive chain, anything that makes you work harder.

noonievut

Jul 5, 2004
Question on saddles - how do you know what saddle will be right for you when you can't really test it in the store?

I have a stock Sella saddle that came on my OCR1, I don't have any pains, thoughsometimes discomfort on long rides, but I've done 100k without much complaints. How would I know that a 'better' saddle is going to feel better...without trying it?

kaikane

Jul 2, 2005
Don Shipp said:
If you are cycling for fitness you should be downgrading your bike; soft heavy tyres, inefficient drive chain, anything that makes you work harder.
To quote the Guinness guy: "BRILLIANT!"
:D

frenchcycling

Jul 19, 2005
don't waste ur money on a pwer meter if you only ride 30-35 miles a week. for a single upgrade think of what u want, speed? comfort? manuverbility?

for speed upgrade to clipless pedels (if you already have that upgrade the wheels)

for comfort, upgrade the saddle

for manuverability, look to upgrade the tiers

use ebay and maybe u can get more then one upgrade!

aa9t8

Oct 22, 2004
i am a middle aged trying to keep fit rider and i use a serfas saddle. it has a cut out and they come in mens and ladies cause they are designed different. they are supposed to prevent genital numbness and erectile disfuntion. along with a suspension seatpost. for comfort it does not get any better unless you get bent. oh yeah the seat retails for about 50$ canadian which is like free in us bucks. i can not remember what the seatpost cost. but a value it as almost priceless.

Adam-from-SLO

Nov 30, 2003
artmichalek said:
Unless you're a slave to your training journal, a power meter is a waste of money. Wheels are a popular choice, but most after market wheels could run into compatability issues with a bike that old. I'd stick with the contact points. Saddle/shorts, pedals/shoes, gloves/bars, and perhaps tires.

I fully 110% agree with this ;)

kaikane

Jul 2, 2005
Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. I'll look into a saddle. It does seem to be the one "sore spot" of my riding. :D

Rudy

Sep 23, 2003
kaikane said:
Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. I'll look into a saddle. It does seem to be the one "sore spot" of my riding. :D

Since you mentioned saddle, I wish you luck because saddle is such a personal thing and for some it has been very elusive, like me.

You may find yourself buying/selling and spending much dough that holy grail of a saddle. I haven't found mine yet and have about half a dozen saddles sitting around here around the house.