Slime filled inner tubes

Arctic Corsair

Guest
Is it worth investing in a tube of slime for my inner tubes or is it a waste of time?

"Arctic Corsair" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Is it worth investing in a tube of slime for my inner tubes or is it a
waste
> of time?

There are varying opinions about this, but it's not a complete waste of time
IME. However my preference is for the slime tyre liners. The inner tube stuff doesn't prevent
punctures, although I found it pretty effective for sealing them at least to a 'get you home'
standard if not better, depending on the nature of the puncture. But the tyre liners stop
things piercing the tube to begin with. A better investment IME.

Rich

In article <[email protected]>, Arctic Corsair
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Is it worth investing in a tube of slime for my inner tubes or is it a waste of time?

Lots of variables but on my own bike I've only had one puncture - I didn't see a broken bottle
buried in leaves :-( Slime tubes fitted when new and done a few thousand miles since then. Tyres are
26 x 1.95.

It has also cut down seriously the number of punctures on the hiring bikes although the ones fitted
with an extra "kevlar" belt are much more puncture proof - i wouldn't like to fit them on narrow
section tyres but on anything over 1.75 they are brilliant.

hth

--
A T (Sandy) Morton on the Bicycle Island In the Global Village http://www.sandymillport.fsnet.co.uk

Originally posted by Arctic Corsair
Is it worth investing in a tube of slime for my inner tubes or is it a waste of time?

from what ive heard the slime is effective at stopping a flat but the tyre pressure will reduce when punctured so the puncture would still need to be repaired in the usual way afterwards

i too am thinking of getting this slime stuff but would also appreciate others input. ta

Originally posted by Arctic Corsair
Is it worth investing in a tube of slime for my inner tubes or is it a waste of time?
It'll make you slower and suffer more, so there is no point.

"Arctic Corsair" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Is it worth investing in a tube of slime for my inner tubes or is it a waste of time?
excuse me for repeating this: Ooh, another opportunity to praise slime! If you search on slime in uk
rec cycling on google groups you will find that some people love it.being one of those I cannot
understand why some people reject it. i have never been held up by a puncture with slime treated
tyres and I have used them most of the time for several years and tours on and off road. The other
day my sensible bike was out of action so I had to use my lightweight for work and got a glass
puncture each of three days. A real nuisance under time pressure fixing them in the rain and oily
filth and dark of this time of year. the liquid slime does not prevent holes, you just don't notice
them. TerryJ

On 11 Dec 2003 02:05:03 -0800, [email protected] (Terry) wrote:

>"Arctic Corsair" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<MPSdncL1V9NCHkuiRVn-
>[email protected]>...
>> Is it worth investing in a tube of slime for my inner tubes or is it a waste of time?
>excuse me for repeating this: Ooh, another opportunity to praise slime! If you search on slime in
>uk rec cycling on google groups you will find that some people love it.being one of those I cannot
>understand why some people reject it. i have never been held up by a puncture with slime treated
>tyres and I have used them most of the time for several years and tours on and off road. The other
>day my sensible bike was out of action so I had to use my lightweight for work and got a glass
>puncture each of three days. A real nuisance under time pressure fixing them in the rain and oily
>filth and dark of this time of year. the liquid slime does not prevent holes, you just don't notice
>them. TerryJ

I might invest in some slime then. I realise that it doesn't prevent holes but if I can get away
without having fix punctures every week as i'm doing at the moment then that's fine by me.

I'm actually taking the wheel back to Halford this afternoon to get it checked out under warranty so
hopefully most of my problems will stop. The slime should add that extra level of protection. :)

Mick

Arctic Corsair wrote:
> On 11 Dec 2003 02:05:03 -0800, [email protected] (Terry) wrote:
>> Ooh, another opportunity to praise slime! If you search on slime in uk rec cycling on google
>> groups you will find that some people love it.being one of those I cannot understand why some
>> people reject it.

Extra expense, mess and weight???

> I might invest in some slime then.

What type of valves do you have? Slime can't be injected through prestas.

~PB

"Pete Biggs" <pbiggmellon{remove_fruit}[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Arctic Corsair wrote:
>> On 11 Dec 2003 02:05:03 -0800, [email protected] (Terry) wrote:
>>> Ooh, another opportunity to praise slime! If you search on slime in uk rec cycling on google
>>> groups you will find that some people love it.being one of those I cannot understand why some
>>> people reject it.
>
> Extra expense, mess and weight???
>
>> I might invest in some slime then.
>
> What type of valves do you have? Slime can't be injected through prestas.
>
> ~PB

The Velox stuff can be injected into Presta valves. Get it here:

http://www.mwdyason.ltd.uk/shop.asp?no_category=2&text_company=TYRE% 20REPAIRS%20and%20ACCESSORIES

I'm not sure if it's the same "slime" you are talking about, but the 75ml Velox has an adapter for
Presta and Schraeder.

Jim Boyle wrote:

>> What type of valves do you have? Slime can't be injected through prestas.
[excepting prestas with removal valve cores]

> The Velox stuff can be injected into Presta valves. Get it here:
>
> http://www.mwdyason.ltd.uk/shop.asp?no_category=2&text_company=TYRE% 20REPAIRS%20and%20ACCESSORIES
>
> I'm not sure if it's the same "slime" you are talking about, but the 75ml Velox has an adapter for
> Presta and Schraeder.

Thanks for the info. I was talking about the liquid products that don't use aerosols, eg. Slime.
"Slime" is a brand name.

Have you used the Velox stuff? Any good? How much use can you get out of one can? Price seems
reasonable (as are most of Dyason's prices; free post as well).

Another option is pre-filled tubes.

~PB

Pete Biggs wrote:

[Velox]
> How much use can you get out of one can?

I now notice the description says enough for one tube but does the process ever need repeating due
to leakage or evaporation, etc?

~PB

> [Velox]

I have not used this.

You can inject the Slime or similar goo straight into the tube by inserting the nozzle through a
tiny hole which you then mend as a puncture, thus avoiding the threat of blocking the valve, or of
having to clean bits of matted thread out of it to make it work. That's how I do it, having had
that problem. Or buy pre-loaded tubes which seem rather expensive at first until weighed against
the joy of getting to work reliably. Always take your repair kit and a tube though.You just never
know! TerryJ

Terry <[email protected]> wrote
> You can inject the Slime or similar goo straight into the tube by inserting the nozzle through a
> tiny hole which you then mend as a puncture, thus avoiding the threat of blocking the valve, or of
> having to clean bits of matted thread out of it to make it work. That's how I do it, having had
> that problem. Or buy pre-loaded tubes which seem rather expensive at first until weighed against
> the joy of getting to work reliably. Always take your repair kit and a tube though.You just never
> know! TerryJ

Some brands of presta-valved tubes come with removable vavle cores. try Schwalbe and Continental.