Slow roadies

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Tamyka Bell, Feb 8, 2006.

  1. Euan

    Euan Guest

    "OzCableguy" <[email protected]> writes:

    > "Stuart Lamble" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> On 2006-02-09, Euan <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>> My wife's recently scored a very nice (wish it fit me) road bike. With
    >>> *much* less effort she can maintain a pace 5km/h greater than on her
    >>> hybrid.
    >>>
    >>> I've had similar experiences on my MTB, every thing's just so much more
    >>> work than it is on a roadie.

    >> Sounds right to me. Now, when I jump on my hybrid, it seems like a lot
    >> more work than the road bike. I'm not sure why ... rolling resistance,
    >> perhaps. But in any case, for serious commuting, it's the road bike all
    >> the way for me.

    > Hmmm... now I want a road bike... ;-)

    N+1 strikes!

    Seriously though it all depends what you want to use the bike for. A
    proper touring bike has most of the advantages of a road bike but is a
    bit tougher and has loads of braze ons to mount racks and stuff like
    that.

    Now if only I could justify a tourer *and* a road bike...
    --
    Cheers | ~~ [email protected]
    Euan | ~~ _-\<,

  2. monsterman

    monsterman New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2005
    Ozcableguy said:

    Hmmm... now I want a road bike... ;-)

    Now you're talkin!!!!!!!!!!!!

  3. Jono L

    Jono L Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2005
    Messages:
    4,434
    only with a cut-off saddle, doh.

  4. monsterman

    monsterman New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2005
    PHP:
    PHP:
    I don't know how you justify a tourer:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D

  5. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Euan can justify whatever he flippin' well wants.

    Our place is literally 'N + 1' given shape. The ground rules: Bikesoiler can bring home whatever he wants. So can I. As long as it's a bike*. ;)

    *or components.

  6. Resound

    Resound Guest

    "Humbug" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On 09/02/06 at 17:37:32 Jono L somehow managed to type:
    >

    > <snip>
    >
    >> sprint to le coq rouge!!!!

    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    >
    > Ooh, sounds painfull - can it be treated ???

    Considering that rouge can be used as a polish, it may in fact be the
    treatment.

  7. monsterman

    monsterman New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2005
    PHP:
    PHP:
    Does your last sentence:

    (a) qualify what both of you are allowed to bring home; or

    (b) tell us that there are no restrictions on what Bikesoiler can bring home,

    and if (a), was it intended or some involuntary masochistic freudian slip/slap ;)

  8. monsterman

    monsterman New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2005
    Hey cfsmtb sorry for the incorrect attribution in the last post. I'ze the teeza not you:D

  9. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Apologies accepted.

    We can bring home whatever we like*. As long it isn't a Huffy or similar shitter.

    *non human - must be bike stuff. $2K Trek Madones most welcome.

  10. On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 09:52:53 +1000, Tamyka Bell wrote:

    > So by EASY I mean I averaged 23.8 km/h on an almost-flat course. And I
    > kept waiting for a "commuter-type" (1) to proudly struggle up and
    > overtake me with a big grin... I couldn't wait to feel smug as they
    > passed me. I was imagining how it would feel to say, "Oh, wow, you're
    > fast, how did you recover from the 100km run so fast?" which, of course,
    > I would never do... but it was that thought that had me feeling very
    > smug - that people passing would feel good about it, but have no idea
    > what I had done...

    On easy recovery rides I roll at about 30km/h, sitting up, with one eye on
    the HRM. IWHT that was slow enough for commuters and other inverted
    snobs to get the red mist flaring and have a go, but obviously not.

    My only problem is letting other roadies pass me. I need a jersey with
    "Recovery Ride" printed on the back :)

    > (1) Not to be confused with commuters, who ride their bikes to work,
    > etc. Rather "commuter-types" are the ones who think their daily commute
    > is some big important race and take all sorts of stupid risks to prove
    > how good they are.

    Particularly to people who are more efficiently dressed and equipped for
    road riding.

  11. On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 15:31:00 +1000, Tamyka Bell wrote:

    > I'd be guessing average, but really, it depends, I have seen some people
    > riding hybrids at 10km/h (and wondered how they go straight at that
    > speed) and others pass me...

    I've found out that when I drop to about 7km/h on freakishly steep hills,
    it's time to get off before I fall over and slide back down :)

  12. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    Euan wrote:
    <snip>
    > It took me a while to learn that an ad hoc group sharing the load in a
    > head wind is *not* the easiest ride home! Don't know what it is and I'm
    > just as guilty of this as anyone else but when it's your turn on the
    > front you just can't help yourself: you just crank it up way more than
    > you would on your own 'cause you don't want to look like a woose!

    <snip>

    On the Tambo ride I did a few weeks back, we did a TT from the bottom of
    the hill back to Waterford. I jumped on with a few girls and explained
    to them that I was happy to do a turn to give them a rest, but it'd be
    slower than their turns. Of course when the next group flew past
    (without calling) the girls jumped on that and I didn't really notice
    until it was too late. Dang it. Fsck taking turns, I wanna wheelsuck
    ;-)

  13. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    Michael Warner wrote:

    > On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 15:31:00 +1000, Tamyka Bell wrote:
    >
    > > I'd be guessing average, but really, it depends, I have seen some people
    > > riding hybrids at 10km/h (and wondered how they go straight at that
    > > speed) and others pass me...

    > I've found out that when I drop to about 7km/h on freakishly steep hills,
    > it's time to get off before I fall over and slide back down :)

    Oooh, the last bit of Mt Cotton. I was in ultra-granny gear and out of
    the saddle, way forward to keep from tipping backwards, and too scared
    to stop, as I knew I would never be able to plant my foot on something
    so steep. Eeek!

  14. coppershark

    coppershark New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2004
    I am just a slow tourer but I thought that etiquette suggests that in a group you should take a turn on the front from time to time 531!

    The Shark

  15. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    coppershark wrote:
    > 531Aussie Wrote:
    > >
    > > Yesterday was meant to be a rest day after a tough 95km on Tuesday and
    > > a moderate 90km on Sundee, so my intention was to just roll around
    > > Beach Rd, working on my tan. :D
    > >
    > > With the headwind, I hitched a ride with a small group that wasn't
    > > going too fast, but a few kms later, one of the guys cranked it up a
    > > bit. There was no way I could let these guys think I was getting
    > > dropped, so I sat at the back with my HR at about 75%, which obviously
    > > ain't that hard, but not so good for really sore legs. :)
    > >
    > > Then the group of 7 started to drop off one by one, so there I was,
    > > grinding along behind this one guy all the way up to Luna Park.:p So
    > > much for my 'easy day': I ended up doing 100km, about a third of which
    > > at ~75% max hr. Now my legs feel worse than yesterday. D'OH!!! :)

    > I am just a slow tourer but I thought that etiquette suggests that in a
    > group you should take a turn on the front from time to time 531!

    If the rider on the front has the hammer down and is clearly doing some
    sort of a high intensity effort, there's no need to. I get annoyed if
    someone rolls over me when I'm doing an effort and I then have to sit
    out to the side to get back in the wind, for example.

  16. Euan

    Euan Guest

    "Bleve" <[email protected]> writes:

    > coppershark wrote:
    >> I am just a slow tourer but I thought that etiquette suggests that in a
    >> group you should take a turn on the front from time to time 531!

    > If the rider on the front has the hammer down and is clearly doing some
    > sort of a high intensity effort, there's no need to. I get annoyed if
    > someone rolls over me when I'm doing an effort and I then have to sit
    > out to the side to get back in the wind, for example.

    Agreed. It does require a bit of judgement but it should be reasonably
    clear when someone clearly wants to work and would *not* appreciate you
    doing a turn at the front.

    This happened to me today, I was doing 40 plus and a pair of roadies
    flew past me. Sure I wheel sucked for a bit and enjoyed it; no way was
    I going to take a turn on the front with a pannier laden steed when the
    two roadies were riding race machines. That would just be stupid.
    --
    Cheers | ~~ [email protected]