Small breakfast before training

alonblue

Aug 11, 2003
On workdays I use to wake up early and do a 2 hour training. I have my breakfast afterwards, but I feel I need to eat something before the exercise. Usually I had a slice of bread with honey, or some sweet cereal (with no milk). But lately I read that eating glucose before training lowers the rates of glucose and insulin in the blood during the workout. So now I am looking for a substitute for my pre-ride snack. Any ideas?
I've seen that Cytomax now have a new pre-preformance drink that is said to replace a meal. Anyone tried this?

Thanks,
Alon

The easiest is to skip the meal before completely (avoiding any negative insulin response), and drink an energy drink throughout your ride, starting within 5 minutes of climbing on your bike (once you're exercising there's no massive insulin spike). The energy drink will provide enough fuel for the ride. Then have your proper breakfast afterwards.

Originally posted by alonblue
On workdays I use to wake up early and do a 2 hour training. I have my breakfast afterwards, but I feel I need to eat something before the exercise. Usually I had a slice of bread with honey, or some sweet cereal (with no milk). But lately I read that eating glucose before training lowers the rates of glucose and insulin in the blood during the workout. So now I am looking for a substitute for my pre-ride snack. Any ideas?
I've seen that Cytomax now have a new pre-preformance drink that is said to replace a meal. Anyone tried this?

Thanks,
Alon

Its ok to ride on empty only if you do aerobic training( up to70% max hr) and if your glycogen stores are full( from previous night/dinner), and starting to drink 150ml 7% carbohydrat-mineral drink every 15min within your ride.
You can allsow take BCAA(L-valine, L-isoleucine, L-leucine) 60-30min before your training ride, this will help you to decrease muscle catabolism

Thanks,
Alon

Its ok to ride on empty only if you do aerobic training( up to70% max hr) and if your glycogen stores are full( from previous night/dinner), and starting to drink 150ml 7% carbohydrat-mineral drink every 15min within your ride.
You can allsow take BCAA(L-valine, L-isoleucine, L-leucine) 60-30min before your training ride, this will help you to decrease muscle catabolism.

Originally posted by mikos
You can allsow take BCAA(L-valine, L-isoleucine, L-leucine) 60-30min before your training ride, this will help you to decrease muscle catabolism

Thing is, my morning trainings are of high exertion, above aerobic threshold. Will BCAA be enogh as a breakfast? And how much of it? 3g of L-leucine, 1.5g of L-isoleucine and 1.5g of L-valine will do? I weigh 72 kg (158 lb).

Thanks,
Alon

I read that eating glucose before training lowers the rates of glucose and insulin in the blood during the workout.

The evidence for that is fairly dubious. I would eat beforehand and not worry about this insulin spike story. This is especially the case if you want to do high intensity riding in the morning. You are better off eating and having a bit more insulin floating about than you are bonking.