Snow!

ste mc © wrote:

> I'm sure it's the sort of thing you could do up a mountain, and with a nice backdrop it'd
> certainly be something to try out. Especially if you like those dreamy water photos.

Definitely, but most times I've been out when it's snowing you can't see the background! Also, the
snow was lit by the garage light in that shot, which probably affected the look of it. And another
thing, you'd really need to use a tripod to keep the background sharp, if you could see it!

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk
http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk

stemc © wrote:

>> http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk/urw/fractal/fractal.html
>
> I don't think I've seen this, but nice mountains! :) You must have really caught the
> photography bug (as if I didn't know this already!) to have created these images when you
> couldn't get out! ;-)

What was fun was setting up realistic lighting and clouds for different times of the day and trying
to find the best vantage points, compositions and most suitable focal lengths for each location.

> Looking at this image, http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk/urw/fractal/15lake.jpg is that a 30
> second shutter speed, as the clouds look a lot like this one:
> http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk/misc/mh/th_ir.jpg :)

Yes, I must have taken that one on a tripod because the sun was low! As you can see the foreground
trees have disappeared into shadow. I didn't know about contrast masking then! ;-)

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk
http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk

In article <[email protected]>, Paul Saunders <[email protected]> writes
>Program mode, flash off, handheld. (0.6 secs actually, I'm surprised the tree in the background
>isn't more blurred).

This is interesting as wee had discussed using slow sync. using a shutter speed of about 5 secs with
flash illuminating the near object.

However you got your good result - fascinating stuff.
--
Bill Grey http://www.billboy.co.uk

In article <[email protected]>, stemc © <[email protected]> writes
>Hey Bill, how has your photography and walking been going recently? Is that dog keeping you
>busy? :)

I've been busy knocking up a POWER point presentation based on my visits to the aircraft wrecks on
the Western Fans. After many false starts I have finally finished it.

Walking has been limited to very short afternoon strolls with Anne and Geraint in attendance. Anne
has a real knee problem so 2.5 miles is good for her, even than avoiding any slightly awkward
descents. Moel Feity is a nice stroll as the descent can be easily contoured without any problems.
Geraint (my Labrador) enjoys the free space on the hills at this time of year when the sheep are
taken off.

Photography had been at a standstill - I really want more views around the Western fans for my
presentation. No one would want to look at a series of slides comprising wreck after wreck!!!
--
Bill Grey http://www.billboy.co.uk

"W. D. Grey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
| In article <[email protected]>, stemc © <[email protected]> writes
| >Hey Bill, how has your photography and walking been going recently? Is
that
| >dog keeping you busy? :)
|
| I've been busy knocking up a POWER point presentation based on my visits to the aircraft wrecks on
| the Western Fans. After many false starts I have finally finished it.
|
| Walking has been limited to very short afternoon strolls with Anne and Geraint in attendance. Anne
| has a real knee problem so 2.5 miles is good for her, even than avoiding any slightly awkward
| descents. Moel Feity is a nice stroll as the descent can be easily contoured without any problems.
| Geraint (my Labrador) enjoys the free space on the hills at this time of year when the sheep are
| taken off.
|
| Photography had been at a standstill - I really want more views around the Western fans for my
| presentation. No one would want to look at a series of slides comprising wreck after wreck!!!
| --
| Bill Grey

Who are you creating the PowerPoint presentation for Bill? Sounds interesting! I do lots of
PowerPoint presentations in work, but always for the organisation or other people, I never actually
get to present anything myself - which is just as well, because I **** myself when put in front of
groups of people! :) Also, is Anne another dog or a famale friend? ;-)

Ste

"W. D. Grey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
| In article <[email protected]>, stemc © <[email protected]> writes
| >Also, is Anne another dog or a famale friend? ;-)
| She's no friend - she's my wife :)

That explains it! :)

| BTW The PP presentation is for me. If I'm asked to show it one day then I will but it is a good
| way to look back on photos in a structured way.
| --
| Bill Grey

Interesting idea, I'd never thought of doing something like that before. I was going through my
archive of photos earlier this evening, and it was amazing just how many photos I've taken, but
completely forgot about!

Ste

W. D. Grey <[email protected]> wrote
>In article <[email protected]>, stemc © <[email protected]> writes
>>Also, is Anne another dog or a famale friend? ;-)
>She's no friend - she's my wife :)
>
>BTW The PP presentation is for me. If I'm asked to show it one day then I will but it is a good way
>to look back on photos in a structured way.

My S-I-L sent some family photos from California in a PPP. I had to download a viewer before I could
look at them, and they weren't exactly sharp. I don't know why not....
--
Gordon

"W. D. Grey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
| In article <[email protected]>, Gordon <[email protected]> writes
| >My S-I-L sent some family photos from California in a PPP. I had to download a viewer before I
| >could look at them, and they weren't exactly sharp. I don't know why not....
|
| Haven't a clue Gordon - sorry!
| --
| Bill Grey

If you want a reason Gordon, then it's because her original image was like that (dodgy scanning or
poorly taken image?), rather than anything to do with PowerPoint.

Also Bill, you can rename the file extension of a PowerPoint presentation from MyPresentation.ppt to
MyPresentation.pps to make the slideshow run straight away, rather than having the PowerPoint
interface load. This is probably better if you're emailing it someone and you want them to instantly
run the presentation as you want it to be presented.

Ste

In article <[email protected]>, stemc © <[email protected]> writes

>"W. D. Grey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>| In article <[email protected]>, Gordon <[email protected]> writes
>| >My S-I-L sent some family photos from California in a PPP. I had to download a viewer before I
>| >could look at them, and they weren't exactly sharp. I don't know why not....
>|
>| Haven't a clue Gordon - sorry!
>| --
>| Bill Grey
>
>If you want a reason Gordon, then it's because her original image was like that (dodgy scanning or
>poorly taken image?), rather than anything to do with PowerPoint.
>
>Also Bill, you can rename the file extension of a PowerPoint presentation from MyPresentation.ppt
>to MyPresentation.pps to make the slideshow run straight away, rather than having the PowerPoint
>interface load. This is probably better if you're emailing it someone and you want them to
>instantly run the presentation as you want it to be presented.

I presume this only works if you have PP installed on your machine?

Bernard Hill Selkirk, Scotland

In article <[email protected]>, stemc © <[email protected]> writes
>Also Bill, you can rename the file extension of a PowerPoint presentation from MyPresentation.ppt
>to MyPresentation.pps to make the slideshow run straight away, rather than having the PowerPoint
>interface load. This is probably better if you're emailing it someone and you want them to
>instantly run the presentation as you want it to be presented.

Hi Ste,

Thanks for this, I had read that bit in the help pages. I've kept it in *.ppt for the time being. I
found *.pps created such a big folder many times the number of Mbytes
--
Bill Grey http://www.billboy.co.uk

"Bernard Hill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
| In article <[email protected]>, stemc © <[email protected]> writes
| >
| >"W. D. Grey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
| >news:[email protected]...
| >| In article <[email protected]>, Gordon <[email protected]> writes
exactly
| >|
| >| Haven't a clue Gordon - sorry!
| >| --
| >| Bill Grey
| >
| >If you want a reason Gordon, then it's because her original image was
like
| >that (dodgy scanning or poorly taken image?), rather than anything to do with PowerPoint.
| >
| >Also Bill, you can rename the file extension of a PowerPoint presentation from MyPresentation.ppt
| >to MyPresentation.pps to make the slideshow run straight away, rather than having the PowerPoint
| >interface load. This is probably better if you're emailing it someone and you want them to
instantly
| >run the presentation as you want it to be presented.
|
| I presume this only works if you have PP installed on your machine?
|
| Bernard Hill

I'm not sure Bernard, as I've got the full version of PowerPoint. But I'd guess it works the same
with the viewer too - though I'd guess the viewer runs it this way all the time anyway, as it's
just a viewer?

Ste

"W. D. Grey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
| In article <[email protected]>, stemc © <[email protected]> writes
| >Also Bill, you can rename the file extension of a PowerPoint presentation from MyPresentation.ppt
| >to MyPresentation.pps to make the slideshow run straight away, rather than having the PowerPoint
| >interface load. This is probably better if you're emailing it someone and you want them to
instantly
| >run the presentation as you want it to be presented.
|
| Hi Ste,
|
| Thanks for this, I had read that bit in the help pages. I've kept it in *.ppt for the time being.
| I found *.pps created such a big folder many times the number of Mbytes
| --
| Bill Grey

Hi Bill, I'd not even noticed that it made the files larger, but then again, I don't do it often. I
first noticed it when my friends sent me around some 'funny emails' that contained presentations of
funny things etc.

Ste

In article <[email protected]>, stemc © <[email protected]> writes

>"Bernard Hill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>| In article <[email protected]>, stemc © <[email protected]> writes
>| >
>| >"W. D. Grey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>| >news:[email protected]...
>exactly
>| >|

>| >If you want a reason Gordon, then it's because her original image was
>like
>| >that (dodgy scanning or poorly taken image?), rather than anything to do with PowerPoint.
>| >
>| >Also Bill, you can rename the file extension of a PowerPoint presentation from
>| >MyPresentation.ppt to MyPresentation.pps to make the slideshow run straight away, rather than
>| >having the PowerPoint interface load. This is probably better if you're emailing it someone and
>| >you want them to
>instantly
>| >run the presentation as you want it to be presented.
>|
>| I presume this only works if you have PP installed on your machine?
>|
>| Bernard Hill
>

>I'm not sure Bernard, as I've got the full version of PowerPoint. But I'd guess it works the same
>with the viewer too - though I'd guess the viewer runs it this way all the time anyway, as it's
>just a viewer?

I guess so but I've not got the viewer (afaik...)

W. D. Grey wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, stemc © <[email protected]>
> writes Hi Ste,
>
> Thanks for this, I had read that bit in the help pages. I've kept it in *.ppt for the time being.
> I found *.pps created such a big folder many times the number of Mbytes

It probably adds a cut down version of the viewer to the presentation so that it is stand alone and
runs when clicked, that way the reciever doesn't need PP or the viewer.

--
Don`t Worry, Be Happy

Sandy
--

E-Mail:- [email protected] Website:- http://www.ftscotland.co.uk IRC:- Sandyb in #rabble
uk3.arcnet.vapor.com Port:6667 #Rabble Channel Website:- http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/rabbled

Bernard Hill <[email protected]> wrote

>>| I presume this only works if you have PP installed on your machine?
>>|

>>I'm not sure Bernard, as I've got the full version of PowerPoint. But I'd guess it works the same
>>with the viewer too - though I'd guess the viewer runs it this way all the time anyway, as it's
>>just a viewer?
>>

>I guess so but I've not got the viewer (afaik...)

PowerPoint Viewer at:

http://tinyurl.com/mvwd I downloaded it and used it.

HTH.
--