So shoot me because I'm loving an air fork.

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by P E T E F A G E, Feb 24, 2004.

  1. It's been years since I kicked the air fork habit.

    Too spongy, too linear, too leaky.

    Now I ditched my lovely Fox coil (although I'm saving it for a hardtail I'm building this summer)
    for a friggin' air fork and a 90 mm 35 degree rise stem.

    Tags:

  2. Michael Paul

    Michael Paul Guest

    "p e t e f a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:qrV_b.[email protected]...
    > It's been years since I kicked the air fork habit.
    >
    > Too spongy, too linear, too leaky.
    >
    > Now I ditched my lovely Fox coil (although I'm saving it for a hardtail
    I'm
    > building this summer) for a friggin' air fork and a 90 mm 35 degree rise stem.

    nothing wrong with an air fork. But a 35 degree rise?

    I almost went away from an air fork this past year but I just couldn't part ways. on the plus side,
    my new Skareb is far more plush than my old Mars
    is. I'm quite pleased with the performance of it.

    Michael

  3. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    p e t e f a g e r l i n wrote:
    > It's been years since I kicked the air fork habit.
    >
    > Too spongy, too linear, too leaky.
    >
    > Now I ditched my lovely Fox coil (although I'm saving it for a hardtail I'm building this summer)
    > for a friggin' air fork and a 90 mm 35 degree rise stem.

    Pete, is that you?

  4. Per Löwdin

    Per Löwdin Guest

    > Now I ditched my lovely Fox coil (although I'm saving it for a hardtail
    I'm
    > building this summer) for a friggin' air fork and a 90 mm 35 degree rise stem.

    I ride a Marthon air 100 mm, smooth as silk when it works, but various air leaks have almost given
    me grey hair. My wife rides a Fox coil and I envy her.

    Why go from coil to air? To get longer travel? Save weight?

    Per http://lowdin.nu

  5. "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > p e t e f a g e r l i n wrote:
    > > It's been years since I kicked the air fork habit.
    > >
    > > Too spongy, too linear, too leaky.
    > >
    > > Now I ditched my lovely Fox coil (although I'm saving it for a hardtail
    I'm
    > > building this summer) for a friggin' air fork and a 90 mm 35 degree rise stem.
    > >

    > Pete, is that you?

    Yes indeed. Simply an awesome, simple, fork.

    http://www.petefagerlin.com/images/airpower.jpg

  6. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    "p e t e f a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:f44%[email protected]...

    > > Pete, is that you?
    >
    > Yes indeed. Simply an awesome, simple, fork.
    >
    > http://www.petefagerlin.com/images/airpower.jpg

    What model is that?

    The only reason I didn't go with an air fork is because I was really attracted to the Fox and I was
    trying to keep costs down. The adjustability of air forks is awesome.

    That isn't a ti spring on your Romic, is it?

    Greg

  7. S o r n i

    S o r n i Guest

  8. Bruce Edge

    Bruce Edge Guest

    p e t e f a g e r l i n wrote:

    > Yes indeed. Simply an awesome, simple, fork.
    >
    > http://www.petefagerlin.com/images/airpower.jpg

    Seethe green with envy.... What a sweet ride. Damn!

    If I could buy whatever I wanted for a trail bike, I swear that's exactly it.

    Can you put me in your will?

    -Bruce

  9. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    "p e t e f a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:f44%[email protected]...

    > "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > p e t e f a g e r l i n wrote:
    > > > It's been years since I kicked the air fork habit.
    > > >
    > > > Too spongy, too linear, too leaky.
    > > >
    > > > Now I ditched my lovely Fox coil (although I'm saving it for a
    hardtail
    > I'm
    > > > building this summer) for a friggin' air fork and a 90 mm 35 degree
    rise
    > > > stem.
    > > >

    > > Pete, is that you?
    >
    > Yes indeed. Simply an awesome, simple, fork.
    >
    > http://www.petefagerlin.com/images/airpower.jpg

    Drooltastic.

    Jon "Really Really wants one" Bond

  10. Supabonbon

    Supabonbon Guest

    "p e t e f a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > It's been years since I kicked the air fork habit.
    >
    > Too spongy, too linear, too leaky.
    >
    > Now I ditched my lovely Fox coil (although I'm saving it for a hardtail I'm building this summer)
    > for a friggin' air fork and a 90 mm 35 degree rise stem.

    That's great! Give me an address to send the bar ends to.

    /s

  11. On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 16:46:15 GMT, "G.T." <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >What model is that?

    It's a Maverick.

    >That isn't a ti spring on your Romic, is it?

    Yes. They'll be readily available in a few more weeks.

  12. On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 08:35:32 GMT, "Per Löwdin" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Why go from coil to air? To get longer travel? Save weight?

    Much, much stiffer. Longer travel. On-the-fly travel reduction from 6" to 4", and much stiffer.

    It's also lighter but that's not that big of a deal.

    Oh, and it's stiffer.

  13. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    "p e t e f a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:f44%[email protected]...

    > "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > p e t e f a g e r l i n wrote:
    > > > It's been years since I kicked the air fork habit.
    > > >
    > > > Too spongy, too linear, too leaky.
    > > >
    > > > Now I ditched my lovely Fox coil (although I'm saving it for a
    hardtail
    > I'm
    > > > building this summer) for a friggin' air fork and a 90 mm 35 degree
    rise
    > > > stem.
    > > >

    > > Pete, is that you?
    >
    > Yes indeed. Simply an awesome, simple, fork.
    >
    > http://www.petefagerlin.com/images/airpower.jpg

    BTW - is that a clean-bike-leaning-against-flowers/wall/couch/garage door picture? I think it is.

    Hypocrite.

    Jon "But a damn pretty picture anyway!" Bond

  14. On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 20:48:41 GMT, "Jon Bond"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"p e t e f a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:f44%[email protected]...
    >>
    >> "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]...

    >hardtail
    >> I'm
    >rise
    >> > >

    >> > Pete, is that you?
    >>
    >> Yes indeed. Simply an awesome, simple, fork.
    >>
    >> http://www.petefagerlin.com/images/airpower.jpg
    >
    >BTW - is that a clean-bike-leaning-against-flowers/wall/couch/garage door picture? I think it is.

    No, it's actually a somewhat dirty bike with a clean fork standing up in blooming rosemary at dusk
    for a 15 second exposure.

    Not exactly a "generic" picture, to coin a phrase.

  15. "P e t e F a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 16:46:15 GMT, "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >What model is that?
    >
    > It's a Maverick.
    >
    > >That isn't a ti spring on your Romic, is it?
    >
    > Yes. They'll be readily available in a few more weeks.

    Inquiring minds want to know: A Marzocchi Maverick? I don't see it on their web site?

    --
    DTW .../\.../\.../\...

    I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing.
    The rest I've just wasted.

  16. "p e t e f a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:jf9%[email protected]...

    > "D T W .../\..." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:q99%[email protected]...
    >
    > > Inquiring minds want to know: A Marzocchi Maverick? I don't see it on their web site?
    >
    > http://www.maverickamerican.com/

    Ha, On the picture, it was hard to read the name and the star logo looked to me like the
    Marz "M" ;-)

    --
    DTW .../\.../\.../\...

    I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing.
    The rest I've just wasted.

  17. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    P e t e F a g e r l i n wrote:
    > On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 16:46:15 GMT, "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>What model is that?
    >

    > It's a Maverick.

    Are you sure this is Pete?

    >>That isn't a ti spring on your Romic, is it?
    >

    > Yes. They'll be readily available in a few more weeks.

    Cool.

    Greg

  18. "p e t e f a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...
    > It's been years since I kicked the air fork habit.
    >
    > Too spongy, too linear, too leaky.
    >
    > Now I ditched my lovely Fox coil (although I'm saving it for a hardtail
    I'm
    > building this summer) for a friggin' air fork and a 90 mm 35 degree rise stem.

    Peter, What model Fox did you have?