So, what IS your recumbent used for?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Just Zis Guy, Jun 8, 2003.

  1. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    We might be avoiding the earlier thread from L Horton-Rhoadescarspam, but actually it's a
    nice question.

    What do you do with your 'bent? Everyday bike? Weekend bike? Leisure rides?

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

    Tags:

  2. Alan Weiss

    Alan Weiss Guest

    I am very different than most riders I know, in that I have been a utility cyclist for many years
    (commute, errands), but only recently became a recreational cyclist, too. I think far more people
    are recreational cyclists. I am not car-free, but I manage to drive only about once a week. So
    here's my list:

    1. Gold Rush. My main bike for commuting, running errands, and very occasionally for recreation. Use
    it more than half the days in the week.
    2. Leitra. For grocery shopping, and for wet or cold weather commuting or errands. Use it on average
    once a week or so.
    3. BikeE E2. For recreational rides with my wife. Use it once a week or so; every day on
    vacation, I hope.
    4. Dahon Piccolo (folding upright bike). For use with a train (commuting or trips to NYC) or for
    short trips when the Gold Rush is incapacitated and I don't want to use the other bikes. Used
    quite a bit a few months ago, haven't used it since.

    Alan Weiss NJ Gold Rush, E2 tandem, and Leitra rider (notice my signature doesn't include the
    Piccolo; it's not a recumbent)

    "Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:

    > We might be avoiding the earlier thread from L Horton-Rhoadescarspam, but actually it's a nice
    > question.
    >
    > What do you do with your 'bent? Everyday bike? Weekend bike? Leisure rides?
    >
    > Guy
    > ===

  3. g19glock1

    g19glock1 New Member

    Joined:
    May 24, 2003
    I guess I ride mine for pleasure more than any other reason. I ride it to work everyday possible and take the long way.

    I mostly carry the bent grin with me. It certainly turns heads in this Amish community.

    :D :D

  4. "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > We might be avoiding the earlier thread from L Horton-Rhoadescarspam, but actually it's a nice
    > question.
    >
    > What do you do with your 'bent? Everyday bike? Weekend bike? Leisure rides?

    Construction Project. As in, "it is one", at least until I can get ahold of the rest of the parts
    and get the seat built. I intended to be done this weekend, but I had to order parts at a local LBS
    and they won't be here until later in the week. You'd think that 3 hours of hitting garage sales
    would turn up at least 1 MTB with 26 inch wheels, but no such luck for me. Should be done next
    weekend, as long as the weather in my shop (otherwise known as the driveway) cooperates.

    -Bill Hamilton; Wichita, KS, USA

  5. Hunibal

    Hunibal Guest

    WoW! You have a big investment in bikes! Are you a wealthy man? <smile>

    --

    Cheers ....................... _ Hunibal _ "Alan Weiss" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am very different than most riders I know, in that I have been a utility cyclist for many years
    > (commute, errands), but only recently became a recreational cyclist, too. I think far more people
    > are recreational cyclists. I am not car-free, but I manage to drive only about once a week. So
    > here's my list:
    >
    > 1. Gold Rush. My main bike for commuting, running errands, and very occasionally for recreation.
    > Use it more than half the days in the week.
    > 2. Leitra. For grocery shopping, and for wet or cold weather commuting or errands. Use it on
    > average once a week or so.
    > 3. BikeE E2. For recreational rides with my wife. Use it once a week or so; every day on vacation,
    > I hope.
    > 4. Dahon Piccolo (folding upright bike). For use with a train (commuting or trips to NYC) or for
    > short trips when the Gold Rush is incapacitated and I don't want to use the other bikes. Used
    > quite a bit a few months ago, haven't used it since.
    >
    > Alan Weiss NJ Gold Rush, E2 tandem, and Leitra rider (notice my signature doesn't include the
    > Piccolo; it's not a recumbent)
    >
    > "Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:
    > >
    > > We might be avoiding the earlier thread from L Horton-Rhoadescarspam, but actually it's a nice
    > > question.
    > >
    > > What do you do with your 'bent? Everyday bike? Weekend bike? Leisure rides?
    > >
    > > Guy
    > > ===

  6. Mental and physical health.

    Inc 1-800-586-6645 "Bill Hamilton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >
    > > We might be avoiding the earlier thread from L Horton-Rhoadescarspam, but actually it's a nice
    > > question.
    > >
    > > What do you do with your 'bent? Everyday bike? Weekend bike? Leisure rides?
    >
    > Construction Project. As in, "it is one", at least until I can get ahold of the rest of the parts
    > and get the seat built. I intended to be done this weekend, but I had to order parts at a local
    > LBS and they won't be here until later in the week. You'd think that 3 hours of hitting garage
    > sales would turn up at least 1 MTB with 26 inch wheels, but no such luck for me. Should be done
    > next weekend, as long as the weather in my shop (otherwise known as the driveway) cooperates.
    >

    > -Bill Hamilton; Wichita, KS, USA

  7. Cosimo the Stealth Baron is used for:

    1. riding round in circles as fast as possible.
    2. baffling the staff of Tran's City Car Centre, London E17 ("that's a BICYCLE???") when we tried to
    see whether it would fit in a particular motorcar.

    The Speedmachine is used for commuting and the occasional day / weekend ride.

    The Revell Romany (Upright) is used for trailer-towing and commuting when the Speedmachine is ill,
    but now that Mrs Larrington's Ridgeback Genesis Day 01 is fully assembled, the latter might be used
    instead (as long as I'm allowed to borrow it...)

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  8. Seamus

    Seamus New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2003
    The Challenge Mistral is used for weekend rides and weekend, week and longer touring trips, in the summer with full camping kit.

    Today and tomorrow it's being used for going to and from work 'cos there's a bus strike on.

    I really hate cycling to work 'cos I only ride for fun and going to work isn't.

  9. Baronn1

    Baronn1 Guest

    Preventing lard-ass!

    > We might be avoiding the earlier thread from L Horton-Rhoadescarspam, but actually it's a nice
    > question.
    >
    > What do you do with your 'bent? Everyday bike? Weekend bike? Leisure rides?
    >
    > Guy
    > ===
    > ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
    > dynamic DNS permitting)
    > NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
    > work. Apologies.

  10. Cbb

    Cbb Guest

    Bike AT was my first bent and is now used for shopping and commuting. Optima Baron is my fast
    recreational bike that I use for fun rides and centuries. Craig

    > We might be avoiding the earlier thread from L Horton-Rhoadescarspam, but actually it's a nice
    > question.
    >
    > What do you do with your 'bent? Everyday bike? Weekend bike? Leisure rides?
    >
    > Guy
    > ===
    > ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
    > dynamic DNS permitting)
    > NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
    > work. Apologies.

  11. Gary Mc

    Gary Mc Guest

    Recreational rides, errands and plein air painting.

    Gary McCarty, Greenspeed GTO, Salt Lake City

    > We might be avoiding the earlier thread from L Horton-Rhoadescarspam, but actually it's a nice
    > question.
    >
    > What do you do with your 'bent? Everyday bike? Weekend bike? Leisure rides?

  12. Jim Price

    Jim Price Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    > We might be avoiding the earlier thread from L Horton-Rhoadescarspam, but actually it's a nice
    > question.
    >
    > What do you do with your 'bent? Everyday bike? Weekend bike? Leisure rides?

    Mainly tinkering at the moment, as its a homebuilt. I put some pictures up yesterday here:

    http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com/

    I'm hoping its going to be practical enough to use for commuting around London (UK) as and when
    needed, but I now realise that the suspension provided by 2" thick tyres is not really enough to
    cope with the potholes. The Mk 2 version will probably involve a suspended seat (this time _not_
    made out of a skateboard and a camping mat!), and re-worked steering.

    Jim Price

  13. Weekend biking for fun and shape, and my 47miles roundtrip to work on occasion (to save gasmoney).

    Torben

    > We might be avoiding the earlier thread from L Horton-Rhoadescarspam, but actually it's a nice
    > question.
    >
    > What do you do with your 'bent? Everyday bike? Weekend bike? Leisure rides?
    >
    > Guy
    > ===
    > ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
    > dynamic DNS permitting)
    > NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
    > work. Apologies.

  14. "Hunibal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > WoW! You have a big investment in bikes! Are you a wealthy man? <smile>
    >
    > --
    >

    > Cheers ....................... _ Hunibal _

    Gee! I thought ALL trike owners are wealthy. I have an Optima Rider on the way, and right after I
    searched for info on this trike I got an e-mail from the Netherlands informing me that I won $2
    million. I wonder if there is any relation!

    Don't even have the trike yet. Hmmm. If I order 10 more; will I get $20 mil?

    Chris Jordan Santa Cruz,CA.

  15. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On 9 Jun 2003 22:00:25 +0950, Seamus <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I really hate cycling to work 'cos I only ride for fun and going to work isn't.

    It is when you ride a recumbent :-D

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  16. Redshift

    Redshift Guest

    On Sun, 08 Jun 2003 21:33:08 +0100, Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

    > What do you do with your 'bent? Everyday bike? Weekend bike? Leisure rides?

    All of the above. I commute to work on it, ride on my days off on it. I have a Trek mtb and a
    Fondriest road iron...both getting very dusty since I got the trike. My back's a lot happier these
    days though!

    :)
    --
    http://www.redshift.uklinux.net/ Windcheetah No.176 Linux Counter No. 275325 *Remove Spamcatcher and
    x for email reply

  17. Azqaz

    Azqaz Guest

    > On 9 Jun 2003 22:00:25 +0950, Seamus <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I really hate cycling to work 'cos I only ride for fun and going to work isn't.
    >
    > It is when you ride a recumbent :-D
    >
    > Guy
    > ===
    > ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
    > dynamic DNS permitting)
    > NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
    > work. Apologies.

    In that case... The ride is fun, but work still sucks. :)

    Bryan

  18. Vol

    Vol Guest

    Fun. Relaxation. Exercise. Scenery gawking. Infrequent local errands.

    >What do you do with your 'bent?

  19. Jay

    Jay Guest

    I am a year-round transportational bent chick.

    It replaces almost every aspect of car ownership.

    A few times a year - if I want to go to a distant HPV event- then I ask to share a ride, otherwise I
    trike everywhere.

    - pick up lumber three times a week
    - deliver displays
    - pick up large quantities of paperwork (up to 2800 papers in two panniers)
    - get groceries
    - visit friends
    - go to library
    - light touring ( 2-3 day bike camping)
    - a small bit of racing ( I make the real athletes feel good about themselves)
    - yard sales many weekends
    - hauling almost anything
    - going to school/work (seasonal)
    - carrying other bikes
    - a small amount of recreational riding (parks, fun rides in groups)

    Often I just absolutely enjoy the fun of the ride every day. I spread around a lot enjoyment to
    others because I get to do what I enjoy and make other people ( total strangers happy at the same
    time) It seems like my tadpole trike with fun flags are seen as "the parade float of the street" I
    get about 20-30 "cool bikes" per hour and about the same amount of second looks and positive
    gestures. Depends on the day, but if I stop for any reason (locking, pannier loading, drink water,
    etc) - it is 50% likely someone will come up and ask questions.

    How often can one spend a lot of their time doing what they love for free and spread joy and fun to
    total strangers all day?

    Jay <-- bent chick (having a great day almost everyday)

  20. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sun, 08 Jun 2003 21:33:08 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >What do you do with your 'bent?

    Hey, I started the thread but I can still join in, can't I?

    I use my 'bent for commuting mainly, and increasingly for utility trips. I don't drive much these
    days. I have other bikes but the 'bent gets used almost all the time now because you get more smiles
    per hour :)

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)