Solar power for your toys while on tour....

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Call me Bob, Oct 17, 2004.

  1. Call me Bob

    Call me Bob Guest

    http://shop.ipodworld.co.uk/iPodWorldSite/product/iPod_General Accessories/SL01.htm

    New solar powered battery/recharging doobrey. Apparently suitable for
    all your cool little gizmos, iPod, iPAQ, phone etc etc.

    Looks an interesting toy for those on tour and away from reliable
    mains power, wonder if it actually *works*....?
    --

    "Bob"

    'The people have spoken, the bastards'

    Email address is spam trapped.
    To reply directly remove the beverage.

    Tags:

  2. Ian Walker

    Ian Walker Guest

  3. > Looks an interesting toy for those on tour and away from reliable
    > mains power, wonder if it actually *works*....?

    I bought something similar. Mine definately _won't_ fit in your shirt
    pocket so is probably better. The idea is that you leave the thing in the
    sun for hours to charge the batteries, then charge your phone from those
    batteries. Mine charges the phone ok in summer, but not too sure about
    winter! The missing thing is a charge indicator to let you know when the
    batteries are fully charged.

    For charging phones a wind-up charger might be better - it will provide
    plenty of power for standby and text messaging, though for talking it might
    need a _lot_ of winding :)

    Those little 'emergency' battery packs might be even better if it's just an
    occasional thing - they're smaller so you'll be more likely to have 'em on
    you.

  4. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Call me Bob
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    http://shop.ipodworld.co.uk/iPodWorldSite/product/iPod_General Accessories/SL01.htm

    > New solar powered battery/recharging doobrey. Apparently suitable for
    > all your cool little gizmos, iPod, iPAQ, phone etc etc.
    >
    > Looks an interesting toy for those on tour and away from reliable
    > mains power, wonder if it actually *works*....?

    I use a solar panel on my boat, about 250mm by 750mm. It provides all
    the electrical power needed for instruments, lighting and VHF
    transciever, although the battery does not have enough capacity to run
    two nights on navigation lights in succession and the panel does not
    fully recharge a nights' worth of nav lights in a normal day. However
    if you aren't using nav lights all night, there is no problem whatever
    with power - it just works.

    ;; Skill without imagination is craftsmanship and gives us
    ;; many useful objects such as wickerwork picnic baskets.
    ;; Imagination without skill gives us modern art.
    ;; Tom Stoppard, Artist Descending A Staircase

  5. On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 16:07:31 GMT, Call me Bob
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >http://shop.ipodworld.co.uk/iPodWorldSite/product/iPod_General Accessories/SL01.htm
    >
    >New solar powered battery/recharging doobrey. Apparently suitable for
    >all your cool little gizmos, iPod, iPAQ, phone etc etc.
    >
    >Looks an interesting toy for those on tour and away from reliable
    >mains power, wonder if it actually *works*....?

    Not tried this one, but have used a solar panel which cost me £10 from
    Maplins.

    Eight or so hours of daylight (not necessarily bright sun) was
    sufficient to charge two AA NiCd's. The panel also worked with a Nokia
    phone.

  6. On 17 Oct 2004 18:30:57 GMT, Mark Thompson
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >For charging phones a wind-up charger might be better - it will provide
    >plenty of power for standby and text messaging, though for talking it might
    >need a _lot_ of winding :)

    Tesco have them (In the bloke's gadgets section)

  7. johnfisher

    johnfisher New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2015
    There are constant improvements in the solar technology. It is great to use it . I have solar power done at my house from clean energy corporation australia, they guarantee you with their commitment.