some gear cable holder thing has snapped off my frame..

Gazmondo

Apr 10, 2006
Hi, broke my bike again, this time went into a lampost sideways and those little things on my frame that hold my cables in place, well, one of those has snapped off, the rest are fine, just the one for my front gears, it's on the bottom of the frame. Is this easily fixable and if so how much would I be looking to pay to get it fixed?

Couple of questions,

Is this one of the metal cable stops, where the outer cable casing stops and the inner keeps going?

If so, is the bike aliminium or steel?

If steel, it may be brazed back on and the bike painted. :)

If aliminium, check with the LBS, it may be a heat treted frame and require special treatment or replacement. :eek:

However, all is not lost, some LBS (Harris Cyclery) sell clamp on cable stops for down tubes with no brazed on fittings.

gclark8 said:
Couple of questions,

Is this one of the metal cable stops, where the outer cable casing stops and the inner keeps going?

If so, is the bike aliminium or steel?

If steel, it may be brazed back on and the bike painted. :)

If aliminium, check with the LBS, it may be a heat treted frame and require special treatment or replacement. :eek:

However, all is not lost, some LBS (Harris Cyclery) sell clamp on cable stops for down tubes with no brazed on fittings.
It is the part where the outer casing stops and the inner keeps going, and what is LBS?

The frame is aluminium, specification can be found here

LBS= Local Bike Shop

Thanks for the link, the frame is 7005 T6 Aliminium. I sugggest you take it back to where you bought it and get advice. If it were mine I would claim the frame on insurance.

Road bike down tube fittings will not work with a dual suspension frame. :(

gclark8 said:
LBS= Local Bike Shop

Thanks for the link, the frame is 7005 T6 Aliminium. I sugggest you take it back to where you bought it and get advice. If it were mine I would claim the frame on insurance.

Road bike down tube fittings will not work with a dual suspension frame. :(
Umm, now here's the bad news, it was an eBay purchase :D :(:(

Gazmondo said:
Umm, now here's the bad news, it was an eBay purchase :D :(:(
Do you still have the cable stop? If so, clean it, and the frame, thoroughly with alcohol. Use a strong epoxy to bond it. Wrap with electrical tape to hold it in place. (it goes without saying that you should removed the cable temporarily)
This may hold it well enough, it may not. You bought it cheap on Ebay, broke it, and now all you can do is try to fix it yourself.

I've got a mate who's dad can weld so I can get him to have a crack on it. if that fails would I be able to buy the exact same frame I'm using now?