Something a little different: What degree do you have?

jrstevens said:
LOL!! I am c) however I don't think I train as much as some of my undergraduate peers who are putting in 20+ hour weeks on the bike.
Saddle time is inversely proportional to your desire to finish your degree.

Degree in Finance.

Subsequently, I sat professional accountancy exams and am a member of a worldwide professional accounting body.

wiredued said:
Well if it makes you feel any better I'm a sparky too are we the only ones without a degree?:eek:
I don't have one, yet. I'm working on my BS Electrical Engineering.

wiredued said:
Well if it makes you feel any better I'm a sparky too are we the only ones without a degree?:eek:
I didn't get my AA until last year, and I am 48 years old, so for most of my life I would have been in the same boat as you.

I suspect that most people without degrees are simply not responding to this thread...

dgregory57 said:
I didn't get my AA until last year, and I am 48 years old, so for most of my life I would have been in the same boat as you.

I suspect that most people without degrees are simply not responding to this thread...
I'm a late starter too. Got my BS at 46 and now working on my Master's. Don't know which one will be first, MS or AARP.

JTE83 said:
B.S. Mechnical Engineering from Univ. of IL at Urbana - Champaign, USA.

I work as a Mechanical Engineer / Technical Writer.

I wonder how people with advanced degrees have the time to ride!
Actually, youre going to laugh, but the best investment I made a while back was the book stand from Performance that goes on your handlebar. I ride usually 2-3 hours a night, and Ive usually got a genetics book, pharmacy law book, therapeutics book, pharmacology book or some other book in front of me. Its like killing two birds with one stone.

alienator said:
Easy:

a) get a job w/ muy flexible hours
b) become an independent consultant
c) be a PhD grad student
I have a and c covered. The other good one would be a job with good pay and benefits, where you can take off to go race whenever you want I guess.

Just on a side note of PhD grad student, when they offered me the stipend to do research, I laughed. I basically do my research for free for the university. However, for the average Pharm D intern such as myself, the stipend is usually around 30 dollars an hour.

I have a friend who owns her own business as a validation firm consultant. Last time I talked to her, she said she pulled down around $120/hour.

I am working towards a BS in Music History and Nutrition, but I would rather be learning to build bike frames.

My problem is, degrees aren't cheap. I have a BS in Biology from Duke and a $50,000 + interest loan repayment plan. Back in the day I thought that after undergrad I would head to med school or PA school or nursing school, but with the cost of programs these days, I don't know! Tell me...how do you afford these schools??!

In addition, I just gotta say that a degree from a 4-year university has me no more qualified for most positions than my high school diploma! For the next year I plan to work as a shift supervisor at a Starbucks nearby. But hey, a free lb of coffee a week...I'll take it!

cucamelsmd15 said:
I have a and c covered. The other good one would be a job with good pay and benefits, where you can take off to go race whenever you want I guess.

Just on a side note of PhD grad student, when they offered me the stipend to do research, I laughed. I basically do my research for free for the university. However, for the average Pharm D intern such as myself, the stipend is usually around 30 dollars an hour.

I have a friend who owns her own business as a validation firm consultant. Last time I talked to her, she said she pulled down around $120/hour.

I see. For me being an RA (research assistant) is a great deal. There's a regular salary. My tuition (out of state) is waived; most of my fees are waived; and my insurance is payed for. During the summer, we get payed double that we receive during the school year.

As for seat time varying indirectly with the desire to finish a degree.....er....actually in my program, seat time goes up as the pressure goes up since it's the safest and best way to de-stress. Clears the mind of the muddy MATLAB waters. It gives clarity and insight when the experiment is not going as planned.

BS in Computer Engineering. Currently Unix and Security Administrator, never used the 'Engineering' in my profession LOL..

alienator said:
As for seat time varying indirectly with the desire to finish a degree.....er....actually in my program, seat time goes up as the pressure goes up since it's the safest and best way to de-stress. Clears the mind of the muddy MATLAB waters. It gives clarity and insight when the experiment is not going as planned.
The more time I spend with MATLAB the more my desire to stick around and finish drops off. But that's just me...

serendipity said:
My problem is, degrees aren't cheap. I have a BS in Biology from Duke and a $50,000 + interest loan repayment plan. Back in the day I thought that after undergrad I would head to med school or PA school or nursing school, but with the cost of programs these days, I don't know! Tell me...how do you afford these schools??!

In addition, I just gotta say that a degree from a 4-year university has me no more qualified for most positions than my high school diploma! For the next year I plan to work as a shift supervisor at a Starbucks nearby. But hey, a free lb of coffee a week...I'll take it!
I was fortunate, my parents paid for my undergraduate schooling, so I didn't leave with a debt. For graduate school, I was offered a research assistantship, so I get paid about $1200 after taxes per month, work 20 hours per week, go to classes, and my tuition is paid for.

Flexible hours rule.

serendipity said:
Well, some people rack up debt for Pharmacy school, Med school etc. The idea is that after you get out, youll be well enough paid to pay it off rather quickly. Thats the case with me and my Pharmacy school. I did have to pay back loans on my undergraduate degree however. The company I work for is paying for the Ph.D. Basically, Ive incurred loans on undergrad and the Pharm D, but when I graduate, it shouldnt be that hard to pay them back.

One good thing about the Army was the educational benefits. Tuition Assistence paid for courses while I was in.
One bad thing was it seemed that everytime I registered for a course, someone would start a war and I'd have to go. DAMN Commie Bastards!!
Another good thing was the old GI Bill. (don't know what they call it now.) After I retired they paid for tuition and books.

bs physics. phd physical oceanography
measurements of wind and rain over the ocean from space.

cu,
larryb

BA in criminal justice, up to this point, 15yrs, I still have not worked in my field

BS in electrical engineering & JD
Couldn't stand engineering so now I push patents.

cucamelsmd15 said:
Well, some people rack up debt for Pharmacy school, Med school etc. The idea is that after you get out, youll be well enough paid to pay it off rather quickly. Thats the case with me and my Pharmacy school. I did have to pay back loans on my undergraduate degree however. The company I work for is paying for the Ph.D. Basically, Ive incurred loans on undergrad and the Pharm D, but when I graduate, it shouldnt be that hard to pay them back.
My parents keep telling me to stay in school!! Maybe they are right. Not only will it be harder to go back to school after taking a couple of years off, but you make a good point...Once I graduate from PA school or nursing school I should be making enough to pay back loans for both schools! I like that! No more living month to month. I'm looking forward to having enough money in the bank to go on a nice vacation (without having to stress about it the whole time). Alright, well I should probably go get started on those applications...whee!