SPD pedal opinions - single or double sided ?

Hywel & Ros

Guest
As a recent convert to SPD pedals (used to use toe-clips), I am thinking oof buying a neater /
better pair of pedals. Current pedals are Shimano combined SPD / rat trap. As I'm unlikely to use
them without the special shoes, I was wondering whether anyone had any views on the benefits of the
dedicated SPD ones - single versus double sided - and any particular recommended models. I don't
want to spend daft money, but don't mind a step up from "entry-level" at least if it's merited. I
don't want to buy new shoes as well so replacements would need to be SPD (not SPD-R nor Look etc).
I'd seen single and double sided ones in both Shimano (A515 single or M515 double) and Time's
ranges. eg Time Cycle (single) or Alium (double), Are single sided more of a nuisance to get on and
off ? What about pedal reflectors - presumably these can't be fitted unless you have a traditional
pedal (or SPD / trad combined)

Intended purpose is for a hybrid-ish tourer; only occasionally used off-road.

Whilst one generally gets what one pays for to a degree is a £50 pedal better than a £25 pedal ?

Any thoughts ?

Thanks

Hywel

"Hywel & Ros" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> As a recent convert to SPD pedals (used to use toe-clips), I am thinking
oof
> buying a neater / better pair of pedals. Current pedals are Shimano
combined
> SPD / rat trap. As I'm unlikely to use them without the special shoes, I
was
> wondering whether anyone had any views on the benefits of the dedicated
SPD
> ones - single versus double sided

The main advantage of double-sided is in being able to clip in more quickly & easily after
unclipping - you don't have to turn the pedal over to the right side. I think this is a significant
advantage in commuting, but obviously less so where you expect to stay clipped in for long periods
as in touring once you get out of town. For single-sided, you save a bit of weight from not having
two clip mechanisms instead of one on each pedal, or if you have a cage then of course you can use
the pedals with ordinary shoes as well so there would be an advantage in that if you were going to
do it, but a cage also limits cornering clearance a bit.

As to cost - I've only ever used cheap ones. The first pair I brought are still going strong after
~6k road miles but they're a bit messy cosmetically and as they're single-sided and I'm fed up with
having to spin the pedal every time I want to clip in, I've got some new cheap double sided ones. I
suppose more expensive ones have better bearings and are a few grams lighter, but personally for me
an SPD pedal is an SPD pedal. The only thing that has tempted me to consider paying more is for a
different kind of cleat mechanism entirely - eg Speedplay, Eggbeater or Time, for issues around
float or ease of engagement, size of cleat platform or just to be 'different' and I haven't found
sufficient motivation in those issues to spend the extra dosh.

Rich

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 16:33:51 -0000, "Hywel & Ros"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>wondering whether anyone had any views on the benefits of the dedicated SPD ones - single versus
>double sided - and any particular recommended models.

In your position, I'd choose double sided every time. With single sided you have to look down and
flip the pedal and catch it right side up in order to engage the cleat, a real faff about
particularly when riding in urban traffic and may have to stop/start quite often.

Using double sided you don't even need to glance down, just stomp your foot on the pedal and you're
in (and away).

>What about pedal reflectors - presumably these can't be fitted unless you have a traditional pedal
>(or SPD / trad combined)

You won't be able to fit pedal reflectors to double sided pedals. It's very easy to compensate for
this though if you wish to. Reflective ankle bands are cheap and even more visible than the pedal
attached jobs (I think, anyway).

>Whilst one generally gets what one pays for to a degree is a £50 pedal better than a £25 pedal ?

Well, yes, generally it will be a better pedal, but, perhaps a better question to ask would be will
*you* benefit from a more expensive pedal given the kind of usage you have in mind. My guess would
be probably not.

Budget Shimano spd's are pretty good pedals for the money and should be perfectly happy on the
kind of bike and terrain you mention. I have a pair of double sided 515's and have been very happy
with them.

It seems that they've just been superseded by a new model with a slightly different design, £19.99
from CycleXpress with free delivery:

http://www.cyclexpress.co.uk/products/PDM_M520_169.asp

That'd be my recommendation.

--

"Bob"

Email address is spamtrapped.
To reply directly remove the beverage.

Hywel & Ros wrote:

> I don't want to buy new shoes as well so replacements would need to be SPD (not SPD-R nor Look
> etc). I'd seen single and double sided ones in both Shimano (A515 single or M515 double) and
> Time's ranges. eg Time Cycle (single) or Alium (double), Are single sided more of a nuisance to
> get on and off ? What about pedal reflectors - presumably these can't be fitted unless you have a
> traditional pedal (or SPD / trad combined)

I'm using Time Aliums and they seem very good compared to the Shimano PD-M536's I was using (which
were falling to pieces after less than a year). The Times are a very simple design, very solidly
built and have a large platform which adds even more power to my pedalling!

Simonb

Hywel & Ros wrote:
> What about pedal reflectors - presumably these can't be fitted unless you have a traditional pedal
> (or SPD / trad combined)

ps, The Aliums come with a pair of reflectors and a special adapter for attaching them (in the UK
only I think). They screw into the side of the pedal and are suspended on an L-shaped bracket.

Simonb

<[email protected]> wrote:

>I was wondering whether anyone had any views on the benefits of the dedicated SPD ones - single
>versus double sided

I only have one pair of the combined SPD / platform pedals, and they are on my "shopping" bike,
which I occasionally ride while wearing trainers. SPD only is much simpler.

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

"Hywel & Ros" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> As a recent convert to SPD pedals (used to use toe-clips), I am thinking
oof
> buying a neater / better pair of pedals. Current pedals are Shimano
combined
> SPD / rat trap. As I'm unlikely to use them without the special shoes, I
was
> wondering whether anyone had any views on the benefits of the dedicated
SPD
> ones - single versus double sided - and any particular recommended models.
> don't want to spend daft money, but don't mind a step up from
"entry-level"
> at least if it's merited. I don't want to buy new shoes as well so replacements would need to be
> SPD (not SPD-R nor Look etc). I'd seen single and double sided ones in both Shimano (A515 single
> or M515 double) and Time's ranges. eg Time Cycle (single) or Alium (double), Are single sided more
> of a nuisance to get on and off ? What about pedal reflectors - presumably these can't be fitted
> unless you have a traditional pedal (or SPD / trad combined)
>
> Intended purpose is for a hybrid-ish tourer; only occasionally used off-road.
>
> Whilst one generally gets what one pays for to a degree is a £50 pedal better than a £25 pedal ?
>
> Any thoughts ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Hywel

Also a recent convert - now have the SPD M 515s fitted to 3 of my bikes - double sided make it a
whole load simpler. Cyclexpress were/are selling them for £19.99 incl postage. I couldn't see any
benefit in anything more expensive for my cycling activity which seems similar to yours.

As for reflectors - there is reflective stuff on the back of the shows (M
037) - or get those reflective ankle bands - or Shimano have a plastic platform with reflectors
that clips to the 515s BUT that makes them only SPD on one side. Be brave, go for the no-
reflector look!

Rob

"Hywel & Ros" <[email protected]> writes:

> As a recent convert to SPD pedals (used to use toe-clips), I am thinking oof buying a neater /
> better pair of pedals. Current pedals are Shimano combined SPD / rat trap. As I'm unlikely to use
> them without the special shoes, I was wondering whether anyone had any views on the benefits of
> the dedicated SPD ones - single versus double sided - and any particular recommended models.

If you're riding on the road, single sided ones are fine and weigh less. Thirty quid Shimanos are
fine - there's no point spending more unless you're a weight weenie. Off road double sided are
better because you can clip in easier - don't have to worry about which way up the pedal is.

to err is human, to lisp divine ;; attributed to Kim Philby, oddly enough.

"> ones - single versus double sided - and any particular recommended models. I

I agree with the eneral consensus that double sided is more convenient

> Whilst one generally gets what one pays for to a degree is a £50 pedal better than a £25 pedal ?

The Law of Diminishing Returns states that for a *lot* more dosh, you get a *small* (but measurable)
improvement in performance. I'd go (and I do ) for the cheapos!!

Ems

"Hywel & Ros" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> As a recent convert to SPD pedals (used to use toe-clips), I am thinking
oof
> buying a neater / better pair of pedals. Current pedals are Shimano
combined
> SPD / rat trap. As I'm unlikely to use them without the special shoes, I
was
> wondering whether anyone had any views on the benefits of the dedicated
SPD
> ones - single versus double sided - and any particular recommended models.
> don't want to spend daft money, but don't mind a step up from
"entry-level"
> at least if it's merited.

I use double sided on my mtbs and did on my old road bike (after using Looks on it for many years),
however when I got a new road bike as a concession to style I fitted single side A515s, bzzt,
mistake! Ok, I can live with them as the bike is used for long rides with little unclipping but even
so they are a pain when in suburbia and a clean getaway is required, eg lights, junctions, etc.

In short get double sided, I will when replacement is due.

My 2 groats, Pete

I found single-sided "road" SPD's horrible to use for urban cycling or any cycling where you need to
frequently clip in and out. Flipping those tiddly things (that don't always point the same way up)
and engaging is annoying, difficult and dangerous.

I understand expense of new shoes in an issue and appreciate the disadvantages when it comes to
walking, but the Look system is far superior, IMO. Easier and more positive to get into; larger
cleats and option of more float so easier to setup; more security, efficiency and comfort.

> What about pedal reflectors?

The FPD brand SPD-types I used came with clip-on reflectors. I didn't even bother trying them
because the design/quality looked less than adequate. Ankle reflector bands could be worn instead.

~PB

In article <[email protected]>, Call me Bob wrote:
>On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 16:33:51 -0000, "Hywel & Ros" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>wondering whether anyone had any views on the benefits of the dedicated SPD ones - single versus
>>double sided - and any particular recommended models.
>
>In your position, I'd choose double sided every time. With single sided you have to look down and
>flip the pedal and catch it right side up in order to engage the cleat, a real faff about
>particularly when riding in urban traffic and may have to stop/start quite often.

Though if you have the sort that are single sided so you can use them with non-SPD shoes then using
the "wrong" side for a bit isn't a problem. You don't have to look down, you can do it by feel. (I
have that sort of pedals on a bike I often ride in my normal work shoes.)

Having said that, if you don't plan to use non-SPD shoes, and you aren't racing (or otherwise
wanting the lowest possible weight and greatest possible clearance for pedalling through turns when
leaning over), I'd go for the double sided too.