Spinergy Repair

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Bongard, Apr 25, 2003.

  1. Bongard

    Bongard Guest

    Last summer, I noticed my rear Rev X becme delaminated where the carbon fiber joins the aluminum
    rim. The delamination occurs for about a 4" radial section.

    I'm 160-165 lbs. and ride moderate hills. I noticed some "shimmy" while climbing for several weeks
    before visually noticing the failure
    - meaining I may have already ridden it for ~200-300 miles while the problem existed.

    I have not ridden the wheel since this was noticed. I miss the added speed.

    The wheels were purchased new at a local bike shop in '99 and through them, Spinergy has offered me
    a discount on either a replacement Non-Rev X type wheel or on a complete wheel-set. Frankly, I'm not
    real impressed with their latest wheels.

    Seems to me that a good epoxy or better type adhesive could render the wheel usable.

    1. Has anyone experienced a similar failure?

    2. Has anyone tried such a repair? If yes, what did you use, how, and what were the results?

    3. I may choose to use the wheel for a hanging mobile in my den. Before I do that, I want to
    exhaust all reasonable possibilities.

    - Maybe some suggestions on "mobile designs"? ;-)

    Thanx,

    Jim [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. Terry Morse

    Terry Morse Guest

    Bongard wrote:

    > Last summer, I noticed my rear Rev X becme delaminated where the carbon fiber joins the aluminum
    > rim. The delamination occurs for about a 4" radial section.

    Read this, then decide what to do with those wheels:

    http://home.interlynx.net/~pjdu/