Spoke Length Calculator

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Bicyclette, Feb 2, 2004.

  1. Bicyclette

    Bicyclette Guest

    Anybody know of a good online spoke length calculator? I'm going with Vel. Deep V rim and suitable
    hub for the rear.

    Tags:

  2. daveornee

    daveornee New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2003
    Messages:
    2,763
    http://www.dtswiss.com/index.asp
    follow the link in the middle of the page under "Tools" for Spokes Calculator
    or
    http://www.damonrinard.com/spocalc.htm
    Select the full version, use Excel full strength version with your "macros enabled"
    ERD is also available from Velocity USA on their website.

  3. Ted Bennett

    Ted Bennett Guest

    [email protected] (Jesper Brondum) wrote:

    > > Anybody know of a good online spoke length calculator? I'm going with Vel. Deep V rim and
    > > suitable hub for the rear.
    >
    > For a Mac
    >
    > http://www.ct.se/spokcalc/index.html
    >
    > www.ct.se

    Not Found The requested URL /spokcalc/index.htm was not found on this server.

    --
    Ted Bennett Portland OR

  4. Jobst Brandt

    Jobst Brandt Guest

    Ted Bennett writes:

    >>> Anybody know of a good online spoke length calculator? I'm going with Vel. Deep V rim and
    >>> suitable hub for the rear.

    >> For a Mac

    http://www.ct.se/spokcalc/index.html

    > Not Found The requested URL /spokcalc/index.htm was not found on this server.

    It seems to be working fine today. Try it again.

    Jobst Brandt [email protected]

  5. Carl Fogel

    Carl Fogel Guest

    > >> For a Mac
    >
    > http://www.ct.se/spokcalc/index.html
    >
    > > Not Found The requested URL /spokcalc/index.htm was not found on this server.
    >
    > It seems to be working fine today. Try it again.
    >
    > Jobst Brandt [email protected]

    Dear Ted and Jobst,

    The site comes up for me, but then balks at loading some jpg, which might give odd results. The file
    download seems to work.

    Carl Fogel

  6. Ted Bennett

    Ted Bennett Guest

    [email protected] (Carl Fogel) wrote:

    > > For a Mac http://www.ct.se/spokcalc/index.html

    > > > Not Found The requested URL /spokcalc/index.htm was not found on this server.
    > >
    > > It seems to be working fine today. Try it again.
    > >
    > > Jobst Brandt [email protected]
    >
    > Dear Ted and Jobst,
    >
    > The site comes up for me, but then balks at loading some jpg, which might give odd results. The
    > file download seems to work.
    >
    > Carl Fogel

    It downloaded fine for me today, and I spent some time fiddling with my new toy. When it was time to
    put it away and go and do some actual work, I discovered that I already had a copy of it but had
    completely forgotten about it.

    So I suppose that is what getting older is all about: we don't really need anything new to entertain
    us, just rediscover things we had forgotten.

    My first senior moment. Sheesh. Maybe my teenaged sons are right after all with their eye-rolling.

    --
    Ted Bennett Portland OR

  7. BaCardi

    BaCardi New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2003

    Some of the listed programs contain errors in rim diameters. For example, Mavic Open 4s have a different measurement for the rim diamter in the DT program and Crazy Ride. So, somebody is wrong.

  8. Carl Fogel

    Carl Fogel Guest

    Ted Bennett <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (Carl Fogel) wrote:
    >

    > > > For a Mac http://www.ct.se/spokcalc/index.html

    > > > It seems to be working fine today. Try it again.
    > > >
    > > > Jobst Brandt [email protected]
    > >
    > > Dear Ted and Jobst,
    > >
    > > The site comes up for me, but then balks at loading some jpg, which might give odd results. The
    > > file download seems to work.
    > >
    > > Carl Fogel
    >
    > It downloaded fine for me today, and I spent some time fiddling with my new toy. When it was time
    > to put it away and go and do some actual work, I discovered that I already had a copy of it but
    > had completely forgotten about it.
    >
    > So I suppose that is what getting older is all about: we don't really need anything new to
    > entertain us, just rediscover things we had forgotten.
    >
    > My first senior moment. Sheesh. Maybe my teenaged sons are right after all with their eye-rolling.

    Dear Ted,

    Soon we get to hide our own Easter eggs.

    Carl Fo-Fo- . . . er, Carl F.

  9. Dianne_1234

    Dianne_1234 Guest

    On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 06:37:19 GMT, BaCardi
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Bicyclette wrote:
    > > Anybody know of a good online spoke length calculator? I'm going with Vel. Deep V rim and
    > > suitable hub for the rear.
    >

    >Some of the listed programs contain errors in rim diameters. For example, Mavic Open 4s have a
    >different measurement for the rim diamter in the DT program and Crazy Ride. So, somebody is wrong.

    ... or the rims vary.

  10. BaCardi

    BaCardi New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2003

    Well, if you look up Mavic Open 4s in some programs. One program will say 605mm, another will say 608mm, and another will say 602mm. Rim manufacturing tolerances are much closer than these differences. So, its safe to rule out the error is in rim variations.

  11. Dianne_1234

    Dianne_1234 Guest

    On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 17:05:34 GMT, BaCardi
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Dianne_1234 wrote:
    > > >

    > > >Some of the listed programs contain errors in rim diameters. For example, Mavic Open 4s have a
    > > >different measurement for the rim diamter in the DT program and Crazy Ride. So, somebody is
    > > >wrong.
    > > ... or the rims vary.
    >
    >Well, if you look up Mavic Open 4s in some programs. One program will say 605mm, another will say
    >608mm, and another will say 602mm. Rim manufacturing tolerances are much closer than these
    >differences. So, its safe to rule out the error is in rim variations.

    This differs from my experience. I've measured ERDs varying by up to 5mm among rims of the same rim
    make, model and year.

    What's your experience been?

  12. BaCardi

    BaCardi New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2003

    I've never had a rim of the same type vary much, but my methods are exacting. Using a product made by Wheelsmith called Rimrods, you can measure accurately to withing +- 1mm. And I've found it to be an invaluable tool. I have Mitoyo digital calipers also and can measure the outside space under a rim to hundredths of a mm. Of course, these measurements are produced by tools most people don't have. And a lot of people rely on the programs and databases. How in the world are you getting differences that great? What are your measuring methods?

  13. Carl Fogel

    Carl Fogel Guest

    BaCardi <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Dianne_1234 wrote:
    > > >
    > > >Some of the listed programs contain errors in rim diameters. For example, Mavic Open 4s have
    > > >a different measurement for the rim diamter in the DT program and Crazy Ride. So, somebody is
    > > >wrong.
    > > ... or the rims vary.
    >
    > Well, if you look up Mavic Open 4s in some programs. One program will say 605mm, another will say
    > 608mm, and another will say 602mm. Rim manufacturing tolerances are much closer than these
    > differences. So, its safe to rule out the error is in rim variations.

    Dear Bacardi,

    You're probably right about manufacturers being able to control rim quality better than
    602mm to 608mm.

    However, rims with the same name may have been silently redesigned, with new production batches
    being improved.

    For example, in a recent post about Torelli Master rims, Joe Kubera mentioned that these hard-as-hell-to-
    mount rims may have been changed slightly after complaints:

    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=20040205163352.11541.00001398%40mb-m12.aol.com&output=gplain

    (The thread was "Torelli Master rims- oversized?")

    I don't know whether the altered dimension would be the same as the one in the spoke-length
    calculator, but if the well of the rim were deeper, then tires should be easier to mount, and the
    spokes would be shorter.

    Another possible explanation is that the spoke calculating programs measure dimensions
    differently, just as the same revolver ammunition can be described as .38 or .357, depending on
    how you measure it.

    Did you notice any pattern in the programs where you found the different rim sizes? Did one program
    tend to list smaller sizes for rims, while another seemed to have inflated figures?

    Carl Fogel

  14. Ted Bennett

    Ted Bennett Guest

    Dianne_1234 wrote:

    < This differs from my experience. I've measured ERDs varying by up to 5mm among rims of the same
    rim make, model and year. What's your experience been?>

    BaCardi <[email protected]> wrote:

    < I've never had a rim of the same type vary much, but my methods are exacting. Using a product made
    by Wheelsmith called Rimrods, you can measure accurately to withing +- 1mm. And I've found it to be
    an invaluable tool. I have Mitoyo digital calipers also and can measure the outside space under a
    rim to hundredths of a mm. Of course, these measurements are produced by tools most people don't
    have. And a lot of people rely on the programs and databases. How in the world are you getting
    differences that great? What are your measuring methods?>

    Ted replies:

    I'm with Bacardi on this. Rim ERDs for a given rim don't vary much, by my measurements. My method is
    similar to the Rimrods, but you can do this yourself by cutting the elbows off two longish spokes
    and measuring the overlap of diametrically opposed spokes with nipples.

    Some of the variation that Diane found could be a result of taking only one measurement. Unlaced
    rims don't have much rigidity and easily deform into an ellipse.

    --
    Ted Bennett Portland OR

  15. Dianne_1234

    Dianne_1234 Guest

    On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 00:04:42 GMT, BaCardi
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Dianne_1234 wrote:

    > > >Well, if you look up Mavic Open 4s in some programs. One program will say 605mm, another will
    > > >say 608mm, and another will say 602mm. Rim manufacturing tolerances are much closer than these
    > > >differences. So, its safe to rule out the error is in rim variations.
    > > This differs from my experience. I've measured ERDs varying by up to 5mm among rims of the same
    > > rim make, model and year. What's your experience been?
    >

    >I've never had a rim of the same type vary much, but my methods are exacting. Using a product made
    >by Wheelsmith called Rimrods, you can measure accurately to withing +- 1mm. And I've found it to be
    >an invaluable tool. I have Mitoyo digital calipers also and can measure the outside space under a
    >rim to hundredths of a mm. Of course, these measurements are produced by tools most people don't
    >have. And a lot of people rely on the programs and databases. How in the world are you getting
    >differences that great? What are your measuring methods?

    LOL, I use Rim Rods, too! Great tools.

    When I first found such differences, I thought the rim must be damaged -- egg shaped or something.
    So (believe it or not!) I measured every pair of opposite spoke holes and averaged. Yes, I'm that
    anal sometimes. :)

    The rims were just different.

    Tires were harder to install on the larger rim, too.